Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
Planning OSL-xxx-HKG/PVG-ICN-PEK-BKK/SIN-(DXB)-XXX-OSL for 2 pax in F leaving June 4-15 roughly 10 days returning 14-25 June.
Staying 7 nights with Hyatt diamond upgrade certificate, availabiliy ok both in HK and Shanghai (prefer PVG as its the World EXPO).
ANA is positive on ZRH-PVG with LX (also to HKG). Then I can also try OZ F PVG-ICN.
I found no F on PEK-SIN/BKK or ICN-PEK. I suspect there is only SQ PEK-SIN, but no seats.
Found no seats SIN-DXB.
BKK-DXB-ZRH in F TG/LX ok, but with one flight a day the 2 hour connection is not optimal, as i wanted a layover.
I could also do second stopover in DXB, but due to heavy shopping in Asia, I would like to check luggage all the way to OSL and I assume thats only possible with layovers. BTW, now stopover is 7nighter in PVG(or HKG) then ICN destination to be able to route back via shoppers Mecca (=PEK).
Also found no F seats on either OZ or NH longhaul.
If no stopover in DXB probably better do TG F BKK-XXX-OSL, with plenty of options.
Should be 100k (stopover in same region and lower priced region-DXB), and connection/layover in southasia, but I figure that normally will work.
Any ideas of improvement?
Priority PVG, PEK, DXB (NH,OZ,LX,SQ,TG,TK,LH in that order)
How about:
OSL-ZRH-HKG-PVG/PEK-ICN/SIN/NRT-BKK-CDG-OSL

You'll be able to get the 77W on BKK-CDG (potentially)

Try to build your itinerary around the longest sectors (also, avoiding heavy business travel dats would be good too!)
Old May 12, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Ok.

have just completed another booking and have some things to report back - not sure how helpful this will be.

however - here goes:

1 - referral to supervisor

Some itineraries will not 'auto-price' in the computer and these need to be referred to a supervisor.

I was trying to do a routing ZRH-BKK (overnight)-PVG. The transit time was less than 24 hours - something like 20 hours. I thought this would have counted as a transit and not a stop.

However - the agent said the computer wouldn't automatically price the ticket and it therefore had to be referred to a supervisor.

2 - when a stopover or transit will be permitted (possibly aka 'shortest route')

Agent came back and said while it was technically a transit (less than 24 hours as per the rules), because the routing I wanted was not a recognised valid routing, the transit would be treated as a stopover. (see below)

3 - determining a valid routing

The agent advised me to refer to the star-alliance website and enter in city pairs. Provided i followed a recognised city pair then ordinary transit (and stop-over) rules would apply.

So by default, if you do not follow a valid direct or permitted indirect routing then your transit may be denied and it will be considered a stopover.

For example - a search of ZRH-PVG brought up a whole lot of same day connections. These were via FRA/MUC/NRT. If I had taken anyone of these I would have been fine. Auto price.

I however wanted to do an overnight connection via BKK. But the computer did not recognise this and therefore wouldn't autoprice. It could be forced to price only if the overnight was entered as a stopover.

Sure enough - the star website did not list via BKK as a valid routing.

However - on the return I wanted PVG-BKK-ZRH came up as a routing.

4 - playing around with flight choices

It seems once you have a valid routing you can play around with alternative flights.

So on the return, Bangkok WAS listed as a valid routing. PVG-BKK-ZRH came up with TG/TG only, but I was allowed to select TG/LX for example, or even TG/LH via FRA. As long as the PVG-BKK came up as 'via' option, I could use it as a transit.

5 - much more awarenes of 'direct routing'

During the couple of calls there seemed to be a lot more awareness of direct routings, and I was always asked why I did not want the direct flight.

While this was very helpful, I didn't want the direct flight because it would mean arriving too early or too late. Once I explained this they were kind of ok, but would still have preferred I went non-stop.

Apologies if any of this is unclear - but during the course of the calls if dawned on my where some of the restrictions seem to be coming from. Some restrictions can be overridden by the look of it, but some just can't - especially if you are trying to do a 'way-out' routing that just isn't recognised as a valid star routing (and the computer seems to always want to give you a routing based on the least possible travel time).

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; May 12, 2010 at 8:47 am
Old May 12, 2010, 9:06 am
Suspended

About to issue

CLT-LAX-SYD (stop)
SYD-AKL (stop)
AKL-RAR Destination
RAR-AKL
AKL-PVG
PVG-ICN
ICN-LAX
LAX-CLT

All in C

Airport tax quoted at $177 each (not including the $50 fee). This seems wildly pricey to me. Called and rate desk said its correct, but I think they are wrong.
Old May 12, 2010, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
About to issue

CLT-LAX-SYD (stop)
SYD-AKL (stop)
AKL-RAR Destination
RAR-AKL
AKL-PVG
PVG-ICN
ICN-LAX
LAX-CLT

All in C

Airport tax quoted at $177 each (not including the $50 fee). This seems wildly pricey to me. Called and rate desk said its correct, but I think they are wrong.
Interesting itinerary given that it's only supposed to be one stop on outbound and one on the return. You managed two on the outbound?

$177 seems in the ball park. My itinerary ex Australia with one stop and out of Europe (not LHR) was USD146.
Old May 12, 2010, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by gsforfree
How about:
OSL-ZRH-HKG-PVG/PEK-ICN/SIN/NRT-BKK-CDG-OSL

You'll be able to get the 77W on BKK-CDG (potentially)

Try to build your itinerary around the longest sectors (also, avoiding heavy business travel dats would be good too!)
No luck on BKK-CDG:-(
Old May 12, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Does anyone know why taxes on these awards can be so low? As I noted above, I'm paying $64 in taxes for PHL-LAX-ICN-BKK-HKG; HKG-BKK-ZRH-JFK -- all in F except for ICN-BKK in J.

To contrast, a friend of mine did an award trip, PHL-LHR on US in Y, and paid $200 in taxes. Doesn't make any sense.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
the computer seems to always want to give you a routing based on the least possible travel time.
Not sure about "always". I just booked a *A trip to HKG from PHL. Outbound: PHL-LAX-ICN-BKK-HKG. Certainly not the least possible travel time! There is some flexibility in travel time/distance -- but I'm not sure what the cutoff is.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:43 am

Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Does anyone know why taxes on these awards can be so low? As I noted above, I'm paying $64 in taxes for PHL-LAX-ICN-BKK-HKG; HKG-BKK-ZRH-JFK -- all in F except for ICN-BKK in J.

To contrast, a friend of mine did an award trip, PHL-LHR on US in Y, and paid $200 in taxes. Doesn't make any sense.
LHR has extraordinarily high taxes and passenger charges.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:07 am
Suspended

so heres one for you
My award ticket JNB-FRA-MUC-CLT (the return leg) on LH all in F just changed due to a schedule change.
Now I am JNB-FRA-MUC forced 24 hour layover then MUC-CLT
Thing is I dont want the bloody layover. I would much rather fly JNB-FRA-MUC a day later and make the connection as planned...what a surprize
NO availability in F on the next day.
What should I do?
looks like im in C now from MUC-CLT when I was confirmed F
Old May 12, 2010, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by gsforfree
[SIZE=1]
LHR has extraordinarily high taxes and passenger charges.

Makes sense. Are the taxes computed by the destination only? In other words, if someone were only to transit through LHR, would the high taxes be charged?
Old May 12, 2010, 11:50 am
Suspended

hell yea
got charged 275 dollars tax

CLT-FRA-LHR-JNB-MRU-JNB-NBO-ZRH-MUC-CLT

seems a royal rip off to me

Destination is only MRU
Old May 12, 2010, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Makes sense. Are the taxes computed by the destination only? In other words, if someone were only to transit through LHR, would the high taxes be charged?
Nope. And LHR is the worst.

BAA (the owners of LHR) have a passenger service charge (airport income) when you enter the airport. If it's your destination, there is also a passenger duty.

From a sample booking on ITA:

United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB) $66.90
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $34.10

Last edited by gsforfree; May 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm Reason: grammar
Old May 12, 2010, 12:08 pm
Suspended

should I have been charged the 275 in tax?
Old May 12, 2010, 12:10 pm

hell yea
got charged 275 dollars tax

Destination is only MRU
Fees from ITA (ex. YQ)

South Africa Passenger Service Charge (ZA) $52.60
South Africa Passenger Safety Charge (EV) $3.00
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $34.10
German Airport Security Tax (DE) $15.20
German Passenger Service Charge (RA) $38.50
US International Departure Tax (US) $16.10
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $3.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.10
Swiss Airport Passenger Security & Noise Charge (CH) $21.60
South Africa Air Passenger Tax (WC) $19.90

So not really a "rip-off"
Old May 12, 2010, 12:17 pm

Destination is only MRU
should I have been charged the 275 in tax?
Not to be gruff, but are you going to fight it? It seems right considering the airport xfers you have.

Also, should you have received the booking? Technically not since you're backtracking (FRA-LHR)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.