Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by savekenny
My 72-yr old relative is having some health issues and might not be able to make his return flight next week. If we were to provide hospital papers, will US allow a change?
There's no general waiver for such health, family circumstances.

Point in case...I know someone who recently booked a DM award for their partner who travelled due to the death of a sibling. They didn't realise the return date was inflexible once travel commenced. They ended up having to buy a separate ticket to get home.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
My 72-yr old relative is having some health issues and might not be able to make his return flight next week. If we were to provide hospital papers, will US allow a change?
The travel insurance should cover the costs...
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
As others have said, if this was not a pre-existing illness (or indeed if the pre-existing illness was covered) then travel insurance will get them home.

IIRC there have been only one or two reports of a return segment being changed by US. I think both of those were due to serious medical issues.

Bottom line is that it can't hurt to ask, but if they refuse, that is unfortunately the rules of the ticket.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Everyone!
Originally Posted by nicksname
Hope for a schedule change. Once had a flight moved by 10 mins midway through my travels, and managed to change all the flights in my itinerary. Even managed to change the day of departure of some of the flights.
I had a schedule change (new flight number) that I haven't "accepted" yet. When I booked my business class itinerary, one leg (PIT-ORD on UA) had to downgrade to a coach seat as their was only one F available....it looks like there are now F awards available....has anyone been able to get their seat class honored in the event of a schedule change? I know they won't normally do it without a schedule change fee.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:58 am

You should have good chances. US has to change the segment on your ticket, so it is possible to do so without any fee... persist for this change.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:44 pm

Regarding the top bar: "Note: It appears that there are some issues with US agents viewing award availability on LH. This has been happening for quite a few months.
Flights on LH seem to only be available on Wednesdays and Saturdays. This appears to be an IT glitch."

I experienced it. Agent can't see the availability even though I can see it on aeroplan.com and even fed the flight numbers.

Is there a known workaround?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I am having trouble booking a Star Alliance award with US. I am booking an award for my mother to fly from IAH-NRT routing through PEK. My problem is that when I called to book, several agents told me my itinerary is impossible.

Here is here outbound section to get to NRT.

Several agents told me it's impossible because they say when you leave IAH-PEK that you actually arrive 0450 on 4/14 rather than 4/13!!! Because of this, according to them the PEK-NRT is impossible! United, Air China and ANA's website tell me CA996 arrives at 0450 on 4/13 and leaves 3h40m before the next leg to NRT.

The agent kept explaining to me about how you cross over the international date line and that's why you can't do this. I have flown to China and I know about the time change! Any ideas or suggestions? I have already tried with several agents who don't seem to understand how time zones work. Or am I just going crazy?!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by noamaan
Is there a known workaround?
No.

Originally Posted by xolerf
Any ideas or suggestions? I have already tried with several agents who don't seem to understand how time zones work. Or am I just going crazy?!
If US can't book then they can't...
Don't waste time, search alternative flights (or use UA miles).
Welcome to USDM!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
I have already tried with several agents who don't seem to understand how time zones work. Or am I just going crazy?!
Just keep calling. Many have found the agents who work in the evenings are better.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
The travel insurance should cover the costs...
What travel insurance?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I am having trouble booking a Star Alliance award with US. I am booking an award for my mother to fly from IAH-NRT routing through PEK. My problem is that when I called to book, several agents told me my itinerary is impossible.

Several agents told me it's impossible because they say when you leave IAH-PEK that you actually arrive 0450 on 4/14 rather than 4/13!!! Because of this, according to them the PEK-NRT is impossible! United, Air China and ANA's website tell me CA996 arrives at 0450 on 4/13 and leaves 3h40m before the next leg to NRT.

The agent kept explaining to me about how you cross over the international date line and that's why you can't do this. I have flown to China and I know about the time change! Any ideas or suggestions? I have already tried with several agents who don't seem to understand how time zones work. Or am I just going crazy?!
Have them search for flight availability for IAH-PEK on 4/11- that'll get you the flight on 4/12 connecting to PEK-NRT on 4/13.. crazy as it seems, there's a specialness to the US IT that classifies some flights after MN as the previous day still...

FDW
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:22 pm

!
Just a thought. Could this have anything to do with how US sees the 1am flight. I know that flights after midnight (to 00:59? ) have to be looked for using the previous day's date. I am not sure what happens at 1 am though.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What travel insurance?
travel insurance purchased by the passenger travelling prior to departure. this should cover changes to travel plans in the event of illness.

it can't hurt to approach US Airways and ask them if they will allow a change, but unfortunately the rules are quite strict.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Thanks so much the many, helpful responses. I had the same thought that they would have to search for seats on 4/11 even though the flight leaves at 0100 on 4/12. Yeah, the agents I talked to didn't seem the most competent but they were very nice and patient. I'll try again this evening.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Have them search for flight availability for IAH-PEK on 4/11- that'll get you the flight on 4/12 connecting to PEK-NRT on 4/13.. crazy as it seems, there's a specialness to the US IT that classifies some flights after MN as the previous day still...

FDW
I suspect FDW has hit the nail on the head.

when you are asking for the flight on 12 April at 0100, the agents are probably inadvertently booking you on 13 April. this is a known USDM system issue in certain cases for flights leaving just after midnight.

if you ask USDM for a flight on 11 April, you'll probably end up with the flight on 12 April at 0100 which will then connect as you had planned (of course double check that once it's booked this is in fact the case that you're on the 12th!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.