Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:57 am

Need help finding award space bookable with USDM

Hi All,

I want to book a flight with USDM in Business on January 3 from HKG to STR, Germany. I have found several options on ANA / United that showed availability, but they all involved a LH segment and it seems like US can`t see any LH flights at the moment. I`m open to all options and routings with which I have the full day of Jan 2 in HKG (but departure around midnight is OK) and arrive in Stuttgart on the 3rd.

I appreciate all suggestions and ideas!

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EP
My bad - incorrect details

Last edited by longnguk; Nov 24, 2013 at 8:15 am Reason: Wrong details
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Hosserunda
Hi All,

I want to book a flight with USDM in Business on January 3 from HKG to STR, Germany. I have found several options on ANA / United that showed availability, but they all involved a LH segment and it seems like US can`t see any LH flights at the moment. I`m open to all options and routings with which I have the full day of Jan 2 in HKG (but departure around midnight is OK) and arrive in Stuttgart on the 3rd.

I appreciate all suggestions and ideas!

Thanks!
Given the information in the wikipost at the top of the thread:

Note: It appears that there are some issues with US agents viewing award availability on LH. This has been happening for quite a few months.
Flights on LH seem to only be available on Wednesdays and Saturdays. This appears to be an IT glitch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttgart_Airport

Cross reference with *A airlines. A3 flies ATH-STR. TK flies IST-STR. UA flies EWR-STR (but they won't let you book that one since Asia-North America-Europe isn't allowed, and it's a silly option compared to what I am about to suggest).

My suggestion: Frankfurt and Munich are maybe an hour train ride from Stuttgart, so fly TG or whoever to FRA or MUC and buy a train ticket.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 24, 2013 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Hosserunda
Try that routing:

Code:
FRI  03 Jan 2014	OZ         750     HKG   01:10     ICN   05:30     321  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
FRI  03 Jan 2014	OZ         501     ICN   12:30     CDG   17:00     772  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
FRI  03 Jan 2014	LX         657     CDG   18:45     ZRH   20:00     319  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
FRI  03 Jan 2014	LX         1178    ZRH   22:35     STR   23:15     100  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Is Morroco part of the ME or Europe on their award chart?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Nekamah7
Is Morroco part of the ME or Europe on their award chart?
it will either be Europe or more likely Africa. Egypt is classified as Africa rather than Middle East (just booked there two weeks ago).
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I thought you could have multiple pax per PNR provided of course all the miles are coming from the same account and the bookings are all made at the same time.
You're most probably right: if everything comes from ONE SINGLE account, one single PNR would be used. That's why all agents I spoke to so far always asked if the miles came from one account or multiple. So the rule should be: 1 account = 1 PNR, multiple accounts = multiple PNR's.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
The other day I've noticed that my *A award trip changed for almost 5 hours. I called US and tried to use this to change the trip a bit. We couldn't find return flight that would work and agent left it in state where I would still have to accept changes.

I checked on UA site and found better return flights so I call and agent on the phone argues that this is TA change so nothing he can do. Explained that 5 hour earlier departure would get me an opportunity to return same day vs. have to overnight in SAL. He didn't want to make changes unless I fork $150 change fee. Told him that I am not accepting the changes in flight time right now and I'll check later.

So I go back online and notification about the flight changes is gone. I suspect that unfriendly agent accepted the changes on my behalf despite me explicitly asking him not to do so. ...? What are my options?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iztok
The other day I've noticed that my *A award trip changed for almost 5 hours. I called US and tried to use this to change the trip a bit. We couldn't find return flight that would work and agent left it in state where I would still have to accept changes.

I checked on UA site and found better return flights so I call and agent on the phone argues that this is TA change so nothing he can do. Explained that 5 hour earlier departure would get me an opportunity to return same day vs. have to overnight in SAL. He didn't want to make changes unless I fork $150 change fee. Told him that I am not accepting the changes in flight time right now and I'll check later.

So I go back online and notification about the flight changes is gone. I suspect that unfriendly agent accepted the changes on my behalf despite me explicitly asking him not to do so. ...? What are my options?
Agent roulette.

Or go to a US ticketing desk the next time you are at an airport - I find that employees are far more helpful when you are interacting with them in person.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:41 am

A question for those who can think outside the box. I'm trying to get my BIL over to LON by the 5th January 2014, to start a contract on 6th January 2014. Restrictions are.. has to leave after the 3rd. Makes it fairly tough.

I can find flights on OZ and LH from ICN -> CDG and FRA respectively, however getting to ICN from PER/BKK is proving to be a bit tough.

I've tried BKK -> MUC, VIE, CPH, LON, ZRH, DXB, IST, FRA all without too much luck.

What other options could I look at? MS via BKK/CAI?

I've not seen much with PVG or PEK either....

Is there any other option I've not though of? Looking for 1 pax in J or F.

I can easily get him there on the 6th (via CAI), to start on the 7th... but ideally needs to arrive 5th to start on the 6th.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flashware
A question for those who can think outside the box. I'm trying to get my BIL over to LON by the 5th January 2014, to start a contract on 6th January 2014. Restrictions are.. has to leave after the 3rd. Makes it fairly tough.

I can find flights on OZ and LH from ICN -> CDG and FRA respectively, however getting to ICN from PER/BKK is proving to be a bit tough.

I've tried BKK -> MUC, VIE, CPH, LON, ZRH, DXB, IST, FRA all without too much luck.

I can easily get him there on the 6th (via CAI), to start on the 7th... but ideally needs to arrive 5th to start on the 6th.
use awardtravlr.com
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:59 am

use awardtravlr.com
It's coming back with exactly 0 results when I try BKK -> LHR on Jan 5.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's coming back with exactly 0 results when I try BKK -> LHR on Jan 5.
yeah...awardtravlr and united are showing nothing, guess it's too late!

the only other thing you might try is breaking down via secondary transit points... India/Moscow/Cairo/addis

alternatively buy a paid ticket on Sri Lankan from Singapore - don't know if their $1800 biz class fares are available in peak period though.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:21 am

yeah...awardtravlr and united are showing nothing, guess it's too late!

the only other thing you might try is breaking down via secondary transit points... India/Moscow/Cairo/addis

alternatively buy a paid ticket on Sri Lankan from Singapore - don't know if their $1800 biz class fares are available in peak period though.
Moscow and Cairo don't seem to be any good for arriving on the 5th, but CAI does provide an option arriving on the 6th.

I might have to try some of the Indian airports, although at a quick glance nothing stood out. Addis is worth a shot as well I guess!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA

Code:
SAT  04 Jan 2014	TG         484     PER   09:10     BKK   15:05     330  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
SAT  04 Jan 2014	TG         674     BKK   23:59     PEK   05:40 +1  330  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
SUN  05 Jan 2014	OS         64      PEK   12:20     VIE   16:00     763  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
SUN  05 Jan 2014	OS         305     VIE   17:25     CPH   19:15     320  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
SUN  05 Jan 2014	SK         1501    CPH   20:05     LHR   21:15     320  0   FS/  CS+  YS-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.