Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: None
I did once when looking at my wife non-reving to a smaller community in Europe. Apparently US doesn't have every smaller airport that's served by *A carriers in it's res system - the res system didn't even recognize the airport code of the airport my wife wanted to fly into. Fortunately UA did and even had the correct express-type flights from FRA/MUC to it (Swiss affiliated).

Unfortunately, when you call US res they're using the same res system the web site uses and a lot of smaller airports aren't in there. If you can piece together the itinerary and give the US agent the carriers and flight numbers/dates/cities they may be able to book it.

Jim
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:58 am

Thanks, Jim

It definitely comes up in the UA system, on ANA, and even on Avianca, but I have tons of US miles to burn.

I called back with a new agent and we tried punching in every segment, but that agent got the same error and said there was "absolutely nothing we can do."

So I'm guessing this is a hard wall?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by zink88
I have the following itinerary on hold for 2 award tickets...

5/18 RDU-CLT US2069
5/18 CLT-MUC LH429 arrive 5/19
5/19 MUC-IST TK1630 (dest)

5/26 IST-NAP TK1879 (stopover)

6/1 NAP-IST TK1880
6/1 IST-JFK TK11 arrive 21:55
6/2 JFK-CLT US1983
6/2 CLT-RDU US2056

All legs are showing Business/First availability on United. The agent told me this is pricing out at 125K each because I believe she indicated the RDU-CLT, JFK-CLT, and CLT-RDU legs are in First Class causing the whole award to price as First Class. These are cabins with only 2 classes of service.

Is this correct? I believe if this was a United award it would price out at the Business level of 100K.

Or is the problem that I am returning through IST from NAP on the way back?
no idea if this is the case here... but didn't CO used to provide domestic first connections in 'I' class rather than 'O'? is it the same with united? there's no 'I' class availability, but there is 'O' (more expensive). or are they both one and the same?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:26 pm

Really disappointing if this is the case. Was planning on going to a few lesser known destinations with my US miles. I'd call a third time and try speaking to a manager. Third time's the charm, right?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
US Award on THY Metal

I am flying THY from IAD-IST-MLE in about 3 weeks. I was able to confirm business from IAD-IST but there was no availability from IST-MLE.

Does anybody know if THY opens up business seats to awards closer to departure?

thanks
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

So because of my prior situation, I've decided to move my itinerary to business... unfortunately in the interim TPE-JFK on BR has become unavailable... but here's the curious thing- the agent was unable to book me a segment on CTU-TPE (on both BR/CA)- she says it kept coming back as market unavailable.. and she was excellent, probably the best agent I've ever had.. she even pulled up aeroplan and saw that the segment was available there.. I asked her to try a manual sale and she tried a couple times to no avail.... star net blocking? or just more US IT weirdness....

FDW
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:48 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Alright, me again...
just wanted to pick y'alls brains... I know that this is probably better suited for the star alliance forum but this thread seems to get a lot of experts and a lot of traffic.. here are my options for transpacific coming back.....

TPE-SEA on BR 747 in Premium Lauren (angled lie flat)
TPE-NRT-YYZ on AC 777-300 ER (Full flat)
TPE-NRT-ORD on NH 777 (not the flat product)

Any thoughts? NH seems to be a great option for service right? BR would leave me a long segment SEA-EWR on United (redeye 737)... all the others would be short United segments back to EWR.....

FDW
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Alright, me again...
just wanted to pick y'alls brains... I know that this is probably better suited for the star alliance forum but this thread seems to get a lot of experts and a lot of traffic.. here are my options for transpacific coming back.....

TPE-SEA on BR 747 in Premium Lauren (angled lie flat)
TPE-NRT-YYZ on AC 777-300 ER (Full flat)
TPE-NRT-ORD on NH 777 (not the flat product)

Any thoughts? NH seems to be a great option for service right? BR would leave me a long segment SEA-EWR on United (redeye 737)... all the others would be short United segments back to EWR.....

FDW
Avoid BR on that route. It's not worth the miles at all. Although, BR Royal Laurel Service is what you would want (flown from TPE to LA, NYC, LAX, Toronto). Royal Laurel has Rimowa amenity kits, Dom Perignon, and their excellent new lie flat product.

Don't know much about the NH flight, but I'd pick AC for the seat. Business class is about the seat, and lie flats are always greater than non! Just my two cents!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Per DOT rules, once you have a confirmed ticket, US cannot cancel it.
Can you provide more details please?

I have a Australia - Guam ticketed at 30k points (should be 90k as there is a stopover).

Even if I call about another booking (to Europe) and they discover it, they cannot cancel it?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Just keep HUACA. I've done routing changes on schedule changes on two US award tickets, in one case going from FRA-YYZ(AC)-ORD-SEA(UA) to FRA-SEA(LH).
Attempt #4: Could do it but couldn't see the availability I was seeing on NH, UA and Aeroplan site. Forgot that I need to +1 for LX flights.
Attempt #5: Found alternate availability that would work, called up was able to do it, took a while for everything to go through and price in their system. Then I get told there's a $150 change fee. I told her I thought there wasn't a fee when there's a schedule change, and she said the changes i'm making which were the stopover city and pushing back some flights by a day meant this was a voluntary change, and if I didn't want to pay she could leave everything as is. So I paid up, maybe I could've gotten it for free if I called back but by then i'd had enough of HUACA.

goodo
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
Really disappointing if this is the case. Was planning on going to a few lesser known destinations with my US miles. I'd call a third time and try speaking to a manager. Third time's the charm, right?
Been there, done that, unfortunately if it doesn't show all you can do is wait until it does. The first time I bumped into this issue was KIX-GMP on Asiana and it did become available a few months or a year later. More recently it's been flights like KMQ-TPE and KHH-PVG on BR that will pop up the same error, and I'd like to hope they'll show up, but if the AA merger goes through it won't be the same set of carriers to book on anymore.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by davem4
Can you provide more details please?

I have a Australia - Guam ticketed at 30k points (should be 90k as there is a stopover).

Even if I call about another booking (to Europe) and they discover it, they cannot cancel it?
as long as there are no schedule changes or flight changes requiring anyone to look at your ticket, and provided you had no part whatsoever in tricking the agent into providing you with a stopover (ie multiple calls to agent shop) then the protection should apply if you had any part in the 'fraud' then you are potentially on shaky ground for any protections.

but otherwise, no one going to do anything proactively to cancel you existing booking.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
as long as there are no schedule changes or flight changes requiring anyone to look at your ticket, and provided you had no part whatsoever in tricking the agent into providing you with a stopover (ie multiple calls to agent shop) then the protection should apply if you had any part in the 'fraud' then you are potentially on shaky ground for any protections.

but otherwise, no one going to do anything proactively to cancel you existing booking.
Only called once. So all good.

Thing is I wan't to book a friend to also come, and I want to use my points.

However, I am not willing to do this if it is risking my existing booking.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Wrong date of birth for friend when booking award

I booked a trip China - Japan - Australia - China on NH and TG for my friend, and I wasn't aware that they would ask for her birthdate. I got it one year wrong.
Do I have to call back to fix this, or will they update it at check-in at the airport?

The trip doesn't involve flights to the US, is this information also required for tickets other places?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by goodo
Attempt #4: Could do it but couldn't see the availability I was seeing on NH, UA and Aeroplan site. Forgot that I need to +1 for LX flights.
Attempt #5: Found alternate availability that would work, called up was able to do it, took a while for everything to go through and price in their system. Then I get told there's a $150 change fee. I told her I thought there wasn't a fee when there's a schedule change, and she said the changes i'm making which were the stopover city and pushing back some flights by a day meant this was a voluntary change, and if I didn't want to pay she could leave everything as is. So I paid up, maybe I could've gotten it for free if I called back but by then i'd had enough of HUACA.

goodo
Yeah, changing the stopover city probably did it. I didn't change a stopover when I dropped/changed segments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.