Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 28, 14, 10:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

  • Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

 

Old Oct 26, 13, 12:51 am
  #18511  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga View Post
Really strange... how comes?

Maybe you will find the solution up in the clouds (of this thread)?


1/7 LH business seats are available but it is a Tuesday, not wednesday or Saturday
lisa2926 is offline  
Old Oct 26, 13, 12:59 am
  #18512  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany
Programs: IC Amb, Priority Plat, Accor Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Posts: 495
The Wed and Sat issue was certainly prevalent earlier but it would seem that a few other days are becoming available

I have some flights on tue and thu upcoming and have LH flights but all the same a problem and difficult.

The Wed and Sat saga still seems to be your best bet to get LH flights but don't count out no availability at all on other days. The only way to find out is call and ask.

if not available plan your itinerary if possible on a wed and sat if LH is needed
dewby is offline  
Old Oct 26, 13, 1:18 am
  #18513  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: HKG
Programs: DL, CX
Posts: 223
My experience shows that some USDM agents do not and cannot see the available seats while others may find them.
This is not the issue with LH only. It also applies to SA, NH, LX, and SQ and perhaps to virtually all *A partners, too.

Last edited by deltaflyinglawyer; Oct 26, 13 at 3:24 am
deltaflyinglawyer is offline  
Old Oct 26, 13, 11:35 am
  #18514  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 270
I'm having an issue booking a domestic award flight. Wanting to book SHD-IAD-SAT and return (all operated by United or another carrier dba United Express). Two US Airways agents and a supervisor insist that they cannot see availability on SHD-IAD flight and that United is not making that available to them even though it is available as a Saver flight on United.

Can US Airways agents not book flights for dba United Express carriers? Or are there just certain routes that United flies that US Airways does not have access to? I kept probing about why they would not have access to it and got answers ranging from this has always been the case to this is the result of the beginning stages of US Airways leaving the Star Alliance (which I understand has not begun in any respect).
redbirdsj is offline  
Old Oct 26, 13, 11:44 am
  #18515  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: nyc
Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT
Posts: 12,269
Originally Posted by redbirdsj View Post
I'm having an issue booking a domestic award flight. Wanting to book SHD-IAD-SAT and return (all operated by United or another carrier dba United Express). Two US Airways agents and a supervisor insist that they cannot see availability on SHD-IAD flight and that United is not making that available to them even though it is available as a Saver flight on United.

Can US Airways agents not book flights for dba United Express carriers? Or are there just certain routes that United flies that US Airways does not have access to? I kept probing about why they would not have access to it and got answers ranging from this has always been the case to this is the result of the beginning stages of US Airways leaving the Star Alliance (which I understand has not begun in any respect).
Availability as a partner is always different than with the host airlines program.
Cheers
Howie
stockmanjr is online now  
Old Oct 26, 13, 5:25 pm
  #18516  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Posts: 2,770
Originally Posted by abcx View Post
You mean NRT-HNL.

In the case of my RGN-NRT flight, it is operated by NH and not Air Japan.
Last year when I was booking the BNE-BKK-ICN-YVR-IAH-BZE /-HNL-ICN-BKK-BNE itinerary that we flew in Aug-Sept; I had been trying for both BKK-NRT-SEA on NH and HNL-NRT on NH/Air Japan and US couldn't see either one open though both United and ANA tools showed plenty of seats.
Tiki is offline  
Old Oct 26, 13, 5:29 pm
  #18517  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: HKG
Programs: DL, CX
Posts: 223
This is a known probleim. US agents have dificulties in finding seats in *partner regional flights of Swiss European and Air Japan, too.
The US system does not recognise them as *A.
Book as less * award flight as possible is their motto.
Originally Posted by redbirdsj View Post
Can US Airways agents not book flights for dba United Express carriers?

Last edited by deltaflyinglawyer; Oct 27, 13 at 8:31 am
deltaflyinglawyer is offline  
Old Oct 26, 13, 5:32 pm
  #18518  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: HKG
Programs: DL, CX
Posts: 223
Not always.
OZ has the same OZ flights award inventory with all *A partners.
OZ does not have extra award for elite members, either.
LH and UA have extra LH flights and UA flights stocks for their own elite members.
Originally Posted by stockmanjr View Post
Availability as a partner is always different than with the host airlines program.
Cheers
Howie
deltaflyinglawyer is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 8:07 am
  #18519  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LHR
Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Posts: 1,385
I just found availability in LH business class on a Tuesday and not other days around it - for an itinerary I will fly at the end of the year...
gottaluvNW is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:56 pm
  #18520  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 194
I am just be able to book a LH business flight on Nov Both outbound and inbound are Tuesday
lisa2926 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 13, 9:21 pm
  #18521  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 150
Deleted...double post.

Last edited by zink88; Oct 28, 13 at 9:24 pm Reason: Deleted...Double Post
zink88 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 13, 9:22 pm
  #18522  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 150
I have the following itinerary on hold for 2 award tickets...

5/18 RDU-CLT US2069
5/18 CLT-MUC LH429 arrive 5/19
5/19 MUC-IST TK1630 (dest)

5/26 IST-NAP TK1879 (stopover)

6/1 NAP-IST TK1880
6/1 IST-JFK TK11 arrive 21:55
6/2 JFK-CLT US1983
6/2 CLT-RDU US2056

All legs are showing Business/First availability on United. The agent told me this is pricing out at 125K each because I believe she indicated the RDU-CLT, JFK-CLT, and CLT-RDU legs are in First Class causing the whole award to price as First Class. These are cabins with only 2 classes of service.

Is this correct? I believe if this was a United award it would price out at the Business level of 100K.

Or is the problem that I am returning through IST from NAP on the way back?

Last edited by zink88; Oct 28, 13 at 9:29 pm
zink88 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 13, 11:57 pm
  #18523  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,330
Originally Posted by zink88 View Post
I have the following itinerary on hold for 2 award tickets...

5/18 RDU-CLT US2069
5/18 CLT-MUC LH429 arrive 5/19
5/19 MUC-IST TK1630 (dest)

5/26 IST-NAP TK1879 (stopover)

6/1 NAP-IST TK1880
6/1 IST-JFK TK11 arrive 21:55
6/2 JFK-CLT US1983
6/2 CLT-RDU US2056

All legs are showing Business/First availability on United. The agent told me this is pricing out at 125K each because I believe she indicated the RDU-CLT, JFK-CLT, and CLT-RDU legs are in First Class causing the whole award to price as First Class. These are cabins with only 2 classes of service.

Is this correct? I believe if this was a United award it would price out at the Business level of 100K.

Or is the problem that I am returning through IST from NAP on the way back?
domestic first class on a two class aircraft, in the USA, does not increase the price of the award when in conjunction with international business class. it should price at biz class levels.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Oct 29, 13, 12:29 am
  #18524  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Posts: 333
Hi all,

I wanted to check something with you all on a routing:

I am booked and ticketed on following flights:

SIN-ZRH LX C
ZRH-LIS LX C
LIS-GRU TP C

CUZ-LIM TA C
LIM-EWR UA C
JFK-ICN OZ C
ICN-SIN SQ C

- So I have an open jaw ticket which means I cannot do a stopover (i.e. in NYC or ICN) for more than 24h is that correct?
- Also since I am traveling from South Asia to South America is my routing valid as it is basically a round the world ticket or do I have to technically fly back the same way I came from (in this case via Europe)?
- If a seat opens up on the direct ZRH-GRU flight, can I still change it or would they then tell me my routing is not valid?
- Any optimisation you guys have in mind to make it more exciting?
Thanks!
LAX888 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 13, 3:28 am
  #18525  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ATL
Programs: All of Them
Posts: 504
Would you pay $1450 for 90,000 USDM miles? I am based in Tokyo
Richklhs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread