Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:59 am

How many seats LH are blocking from US? I need a seat from CDG to MUC on Jan 9, ANA and United shows all flights are available in all classes, but US says they don't see anything at all!!!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Same issue I had. I could see availability on ANA but nothing with US. Fortunately Frankfurt is not a long journey for me but a quick hop on a domestic flight would have been ideal.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:27 pm

Lufthansa dom. usually bookable on Wednesdays and Saturdays
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by oberhammert
This has been my experience, too. Can someone please share with the group what might be causing this? It seems so bizarre. It seems too arbitrary to be some kind of intentional cost-savings measure, but I also can't imagine what glitch suddenly crept in if it's accidental.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Theory with no supporting evidence: The other days are heavier travel days, so the domestic segments are held in some kind of married-segments logic to particular international flights?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Theory with no supporting evidence: The other days are heavier travel days, so the domestic segments are held in some kind of married-segments logic to particular international flights?
Doesn't make any sense, because flow yield is lower than local yield. If anything, all the contrary
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:27 pm

You could also try to route via Austria / OS - they don't block specific days
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:13 pm

I currently have this itinerary:

PEK-BKK-CDG (stopover)
CDG-FRA-SFO (Destination)
SFO-LAX-PEK (with united, then air china)

I'm just thinking, if I don't take SFO-LAX, is it possible to take the LAX-PEK after? How united can transfer the no-show information that fast to air china in time?

Again, just thinking.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL, CX
I have a LH domestic sector FRA-HAM on FEB 10th, 2014.
If I remember it correctly, it is Monday.

Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Change or Cancel

I issued few months ago the following routing all segements in C, some US domestic in F:

BKK-ZRH TG
ZRH-BOS LX
BOS-IAH UA
IAH-MEX UA
MEX-EWR UA
LGA-BOS US
BOS-ZRH LX
ZRH-ARN LX
ARN-BKK TG

Now I would like to change the date of the flight ZRH-ARN-BKK one or two days earlier. There is no space but I can change to another routing ZRH-LON LX and LON-BKK BR. In meantime the BKK-ZRH is available with LX which I would prefere that I can use the arrival Lounge in ZRH. I really dont want to take the risk that I loose the other segments. Can the US Call Center change the date and routing via LON or other city in Europe back to BKK? And at the same time switch the airlines for the segment BKK-ZRH from TG to LX? Any concern that they loos my other segments? What is again the max segments 8 or 9 segments?

Last edited by Yenakad; Sep 17, 2013 at 5:14 am
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:54 am

LH availability in J/C?

Hello, with all the talk of LH availability being hard for US to see, if I am seeing availability on ANA, Aeroplan, and United websites for LH business seats from the USA to FRA, should I expect any problem for US to see/be able to offer these seats? Don't want to get my hopes up.....thanks for your responses!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by maplenight

PEK-BKK-CDG (stopover)

I'm just thinking, if I don't take SFO-LAX, is it possible to take the LAX-PEK after? How united can transfer the no-show information that fast to air china in time?

Again, just thinking.
I'm pretty sure United would just cancel the rest of your ticket. So, when you went to checkin for LAX-PEK, there would be no valiid e-ticket. Ain't worth the
risk IMHO.

FDW
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Update: Need to see if I can use the 55k USAIR miles we each have for a multi city flight.
Will be for Sept 2014 and I am now looking to see what is available and how much it is using this Sept for an example.
Any help is appreciated.. when I look I can see PHL -MUN or FRA or Frankfurt then to CPH and back from MIA available for purchase but not for award.
Plan is to fly to CPH and then cruise back down to MIA and fly home to ROC

So I need to call and ask correct ?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Thanks oberhammert. Totally correct. Called today and however odd it seems LH flights only seem to be available on Wed and Sat.

Seriously odd.

Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by maplenight

PEK-BKK-CDG (stopover)

Again, just thinking.
You might get away with it... or you might end up needing to pay a couple of thousand to get to your destination.

Usually, I don't like playing roulette when the outcome of the wrong number showing up on the roulette wheel is needing to buy a very expensive one-way ticket. There are a number of posts in this thread about CA not being customer-friendly during IRROPS- so why make things more difficult than they already are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.