Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flashware
It doesn't touch the US however we're using a US carrier for SIN-HKG (UA Global First).
Then it may be a bug on the UA website. All carriers will determine baggage allowance based on MSC concept. It's possible that TG is the MSC, and that is why UA is displaying that message.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Then it may be a bug on the UA website. All carriers will determine baggage allowance based on MSC concept. It's possible that TG is the MSC, and that is why UA is displaying that message.
Yeh, that's what I'm thinking. I'll do a little more digging, thanks for the help ^

Edit: the way I read MSC, as Aus & Sing are in zone 3 and BKK is Zone 3, with CDG Zone 2 (which the BKK-CDG is operated by TG F) then TG should be the MSC in this case as that's the first instance on the return journey of crossing the IATA areas.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Yeh, that's what I'm thinking. I'll do a little more digging, thanks for the help ^

Edit: the way I read MSC, as Aus & Sing are in zone 3 and BKK is Zone 3, with CDG Zone 2 (which the BKK-CDG is operated by TG F) then TG should be the MSC in this case as that's the first instance on the return journey of crossing the IATA areas.
Sounds correct ^

Are you flying SYD-SIN-HKG-BKK-CDG?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Sounds correct ^

Are you flying SYD-SIN-HKG-BKK-CDG?
PER-SIN hence the C segment, no F out of PER (where I'm from! Visiting family/friends etc) But yep, the rest is right! Stopping in SIN for 4 nights and then HKG we have a 12 hour transit so long enough to pop into town for the day.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:32 am

This MSC concept makes for some interesting reading. I remember on my previous trip using US miles earlier this year in the middle of the trip I had logged in to united.com and saw baggage allowances that didn't correspond to the carriers I was taking, UA, SN, LX I almost had a heart attack. The MSC was SQ and i'd started the trip with them and they had the most restrictive baggage policies. While that may have officially been the case, on my last legs checking in with SN i was over SQ's limit but SN didn't say a word about it. Maybe they didn't care given I was below SN's own maximum, or maybe they just got so excited when they saw all the bag tags flying out of the printer due to my quite a few segments.

Lets hope I have the same luck on my trip next year. Again SQ is the MSC, but on my return when I expect my bags to be the heaviest, most of my flying will be on UA and NH (who allow 32kg) but with the final segments on SQ.

goodo
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: Free Agent
Is USA-AKL-CPT (via a transit city in Asia most likely) a valid routing to South Africa? And if so, would it still be 110K in business?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Is USA-AKL-CPT (via a transit city in Asia most likely) a valid routing to South Africa? And if so, would it still be 110K in business?
I doubt... SFO-AKL-BKK exceeds the MPM... SFO-AKL-BKK-JNB-CPT is 15M... I am assuming that you plan a stopover at AKL... Mind that stopovers are only allowed at the most direct routing what this isn't...
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:53 pm

The other question I had is we have an ~11 hour transit in HKG. Are our bags likely to be through checked, or will we have to grab them all, take them to downtown check-in (as it's open earlier) and then drop them there?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The other question I had is we have an ~11 hour transit in HKG. Are our bags likely to be through checked, or will we have to grab them all, take them to downtown check-in (as it's open earlier) and then drop them there?
should be ok to through check. however if for so,e reason they can't then you can do as you say... recheck downtown.

just ask when you get to the gate if your bags have been loaded. they can confirm that for you.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
should be ok to through check. however if for so,e reason they can't then you can do as you say... recheck downtown.

just ask when you get to the gate if your bags have been loaded. they can confirm that for you.
Thought as much. The gate in HKG once we've landed?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thought as much. The gate in HKG once we've landed?
no.

on departure. it might be a good idea to arrive at the gate with a couple minutes before you need to board. hand over the baggage tags and just confirm they have been loaded.

It differs between airports, but some airports will send long term transit baggage to a separate area. you need to make sure it hasn't been forgotten! (rare, but can happen!)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
I haven't been seeing much *A inventory for spring at all from NA to EU - symptom of the pending *A exit of US or do we really think they'll put everything on hold? I wonder if they'd just stick with the original plan in the hopes everything with DOJ gets resolved.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:11 am

No, symptom of Chase throwing away miles like candy, and United.com being much better able to search space.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by coastalguy
I haven't been seeing much *A inventory for spring at all from NA to EU - symptom of the pending *A exit of US or do we really think they'll put everything on hold? I wonder if they'd just stick with the original plan in the hopes everything with DOJ gets resolved.
Varies wildly depending on your dates and origin, but I still see plenty of availability across the whole range of different carriers in the spring.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:25 am

Yes. It does.

Last edited by michaelpowell44; Sep 5, 2013 at 8:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.