Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
the rest of your ticket will be cancelled once you no show for the SIN-GUM leg.

of you want to 'maximize the value' of the award, then a side trip to say Hong Kong, one of the Thai islands, or to Japan might be an option. it will still cost the 90,000 but you're getting the side trip for free essentially.
and then onwards to North America for only 20000 more
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:18 am

Is this valid routing?

Is this a valid booking for 120k U.S. Airways miles on Biz Class.

LAX-LHR - Stopover
LHR - DPS - Destination
DPS - LAX
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by metoo
Is this a valid booking for 120k U.S. Airways miles on Biz Class.

LAX-LHR - Stopover
LHR - DPS - Destination
DPS - LAX
should be ok!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:46 am

Thank you. So I will check out Expertflyer and United for awards availability for the flights and then call U.S. Airways.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
at the airport I have tried previously with Lufthansa to catch an earlier connection and it was denied... i was referred back to USDM as the issuer to see if they could make the change (which if course they wouldn't as travel had already commenced).
Same LH experience here, a couple of times.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:52 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Same LH experience here, a couple of times.
Ditto.

The only time I've ever been able to get a change after travel commenced was on the final, USX-operated segment of a partner award. I got on standby at the airport for an earlier flight with no issues. But it's never worked for me on a partner segment.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:57 pm

Hi Guys -

Should I have any trouble booking the following?

PVG-ICN-JFK-LAX (DEST)-NRT-PVG

The JFK-LAX backtracking is what worries me a little, but normally its ok I think. The last time I tried to book a similar backtracking I got told no, but I think only because I was backtracking to LAX for a stopover before going to Atlanta as the destination. This time LAX is the destination.

Cheers,

FW
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by faithwins
Why do you want to do this? I assume you're planning a long (<24hrs) layover in NYC?

25M (MPM) for PVG-LAX is 9722mi and your proposed routing is 9891mi so that could be a problem.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by faithwins
Hi Guys -

Should I have any trouble booking the following?

The JFK-LAX backtracking is what worries me a little, but normally its ok I think. The last time I tried to book a similar backtracking I got told no, but I think only because I was backtracking to LAX for a stopover before going to Atlanta as the destination. This time LAX is the destination.

Cheers,

FW
LAX is not your destination! JFK is.

you are allowed one stopover on the itinerary, so coming back via LAX and stopping there is no problem... provided you have no other stopovers (with JFK as your destination).
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Urgent - missed flight

My elderly aunt was booked on this morning's flight from SYD - BKK after a schedule change cancelled the afternoon one then on to BKK - LHR in first. She's got confused and missed the flight. What can we do? We can get her on Qantas economy to catch up with the flight in BKK but I'm on hold to US at the moment who are telling me the flight is canx all the way to LHR already.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Your aunt needs to go to the operating carrier and beg them to revalidate the ticket. If the operating carrier doesn't change the status on the no-show segment, then the ticket is worthless.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by louie-m
My elderly aunt was booked on this morning's flight from SYD - BKK after a schedule change cancelled the afternoon one then on to BKK - LHR in first. She's got confused and missed the flight. What can we do? We can get her on Qantas economy to catch up with the flight in BKK but I'm on hold to US at the moment who are telling me the flight is canx all the way to LHR already.
that's awful news for everyone

please let us know how it goes. and fingers crossed that you find a solution.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
US have been fantastic and have our undying gratitude. They have rebooked her on tomorrow morning's flight via BKK and CPH in business. Compliments sent to US re the lovely lady in Winston-Salem.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US have been fantastic and have our undying gratitude. They have rebooked her on tomorrow morning's flight via BKK and CPH in business. Compliments sent to US re the lovely lady in Winston-Salem.
woohoo!! that is great news and I'm guessing a huge relief for everyone!

I know this is a minor consequence but if your aunt is on the TG flight to CPH it will be on the new 777ER with full flat seats.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Wow louie that's amazing, what a relief! Now, make sure she's totally organised!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.