Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kyamato
I have a ticketed US airways *alliance award routing Asia to NA via Europe. No problem getting it ticket but one of my flight (United) from EWR to NRT was put in economy since no seats were available.

Called back after a week and a business class seat did open up, agent then explained that I would have to cancel my ticket and loose all my other seats and pay the 150 fee.

Now I dont have a problem with the fee but I cant loose my other seats and hope they will be rebooked since those flights I specially need (flying with someone else on a paid ticket)

What can I do to get the J seat with UNited? Should I speak to United directly since I have a United PNR?
Keep calling. The agent was wrong -- probably because he/she doesn't know how to do it. As long as your ticket is a business class redemption, if a business class seat opens up they will upgrade that segment and reissue the ticket. No charge and they don't have to 'cancel' the ticket. The agent simply didn't know what he/she was talking about.

That agent problem sometimes works for you, other times against you. Just keep calling until you get an agent who knows how to do the reissue properly and is willing to do it without a fee.

My advice is to be nice and polite, make no mention of prior conversations with an agent about this issue and say something like, "When I booked this ticket business class was not available on one segment and now one appears to be available. If that's true according to your system, since it's a business class ticket can you please look into moving me into business class now for that remaining segment? I was told that could be done if a seat should open up."
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by ecgz88
according US airways official rule, for my understanding LHR and CDG are not allowed unless you fly to LHR/CDG by US airways

You’re allowed one stopover per US Airways itinerary at a US Airways gateway or international destination, or in a partner hub city if you’re traveling on an award partner.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...mberguide.html
I seriously believe this is one rule they are quite lax on. I have often had stopovers in airports which are not hubs for the carrier I am arriving on with no issue. I think if they brought it up it would be a case of HUACA, just hoping they hadn't put a note in the booking.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Keep calling. The agent was wrong -- probably because he/she doesn't know how to do it. As long as your ticket is a business class redemption, if a business class seat opens up they will upgrade that segment and reissue the ticket. No charge and they don't have to 'cancel' the ticket. The agent simply didn't know what he/she was talking about.

That agent problem sometimes works for you, other times against you. Just keep calling until you get an agent who knows how to do the reissue properly and is willing to do it without a fee.

My advice is to be nice and polite, make no mention of prior conversations with an agent about this issue and say something like, "When I booked this ticket business class was not available on one segment and now one appears to be available. If that's true according to your system, since it's a business class ticket can you please look into moving me into business class now for that remaining segment? I was told that could be done if a seat should open up."
I believe that the $150 change fee is now enforced, through my own personal experience and that of others within this thread. On several award bookings made through US, I have asked this specific question and have always been told that because I was accepting the lower class seat, I would have to change to change into a higher class seat, even if within the same flight. HUACA has never resulted in success for me with this issue .
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:24 am

I need some help here.

I went on United's site to find availability for a FRA-MCI round-trip award in business class. I found one for 100k round-trip on Lufthansa for the international portion and US/UA for the domestic. Great!

I called US and the rep I spoke to told me that they can't give me that flight because LH didn't give them those seats. I explained to her that the seats show up on the United awards search and she told me that just because it's on United's search doesn't mean that it's valid for a US award ticket.

Did I do something wrong? How am I supposed to find flights with award seats available that will allow US to ticket?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:28 am

Similar problem calling US last night... First seat showed up on the ANA website - UA flight FRA-ORD..

US agent said she couldn't see it....
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:42 am

Do they have the technical ability to do so?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by nicksname
Quote:

I believe that the $150 change fee is now enforced, through my own personal experience and that of others within this thread. On several award bookings made through US, I have asked this specific question and have always been told that because I was accepting the lower class seat, I would have to change to change into a higher class seat, even if within the same flight. HUACA has never resulted in success for me with this issue .
It is actually stated in the ticket conditions now that a change if class required $150 change fee. Can't copy and paste on the iPhone but will get it later.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

It may be worth adding to post #1 that anyone without CP status booking an award reservation would do well to subscribe to AwardWallet, or at the very least log in to their reservation periodically to check for schedule changes, even very minor ones. Increasingly, it's becoming one of the only dependable ways to get change fees waived.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by kyamato
I have a ticketed US airways *alliance award routing Asia to NA via Europe. No problem getting it ticket but one of my flight (United) from EWR to NRT was put in economy since no seats were available.

Called back after a week and a business class seat did open up, agent then explained that I would have to cancel my ticket and loose all my other seats and pay the 150 fee.

Now I dont have a problem with the fee but I cant loose my other seats and hope they will be rebooked since those flights I specially need (flying with someone else on a paid ticket)

What can I do to get the J seat with UNited? Should I speak to United directly since I have a United PNR?
They do not have to cancel the ticket to change one segment. However, technically, they do charge the change fee. You might, might be able to get an agent to waive it, but it's definitely a YMMV. I've noticed over the years that they've become more strict about enforcing this. However, I was sucessful on my last change in getting the fee waived.

FDW
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by LM225
It may be worth adding to post #1 that anyone without CP status booking an award reservation would do well to subscribe to AwardWallet, or at the very least log in to their reservation periodically to check for schedule changes, even very minor ones. Increasingly, it's becoming one of the only dependable ways to get change fees waived.
Just curious what benefit awardwallet has for reservations over logging in on the actual airline's website?

thanks
goodo
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by goodo
Just curious what benefit awardwallet has for reservations over logging in on the actual airline's website?

thanks
goodo
At least with US, I often find that I don't get email notifications of changes, especially on partner awards and when the changes are only a few minutes. This could be because emails don't get triggered by changes of x minutes or on certain partners, or it could just be the buggy US IT infrastructure.

I've gotten AwardWallet notifications multiple times for schedule changes that US never informed me about (though that agents were able to see when I called to make changes).
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:46 am

Thanks, I signed up for awardwallet but couldn't find any info on the website as to what they actually do with travel plans.

goodo
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nicksname
Originally Posted by travelislife
It is actually stated in the ticket conditions now that a change if class required $150 change fee. Can't copy and paste on the iPhone but will get it later.
I'm sorry -- I stand corrected. As a CP, I didn't realize this change because we are exempt from award ticket change fees in general. I guess I can't say I'm surprised that they're finding another opportunity to wring a fee out of us.

The agent still shouldn't have to completely cancel the reservation, though -- putting all the segments at risk. If they know what they're doing, they can do a reissue without jeopardizing all the other segments and simply upgrade the single segment to J. At least the CP agents can, as I do it all the time. So I would definitely suggest calling back until I got one who knew how.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by travelislife
I seriously believe this is one rule they are quite lax on. I have often had stopovers in airports which are not hubs for the carrier I am arriving on with no issue. I think if they brought it up it would be a case of HUACA, just hoping they hadn't put a note in the booking.
Has anyone been successful in making FCO their stopover city?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Has anyone been successful in making FCO their stopover city?
As FCO is a US international destination, this should not be a problem.

You’re allowed one stopover per US Airways itinerary at a US Airways gateway or international destination, or in a partner hub city if you’re traveling on an award partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.