Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by emax48
I have an award booked in business, with economy on the domestic leg, and business (first) now available for redemption.

I know the FAQ says it is possible to change this without incurring the change fee but I'm having a tough time getting an agent to do so.

I talked to 5 different agents, the last 3 keep saying that because the segment is booked/ticketed on a partner (United) that it is not possible without the change fee. Only possible on US metal.

Anyone have success with this lately? Is this standard or am I just unlucky? Do I need to keep calling?
it used to be the standard that change of class (provided you had already paid the higher miles) was free of charge.

this changed some time ago and now it is the norm for the fee to be levied, although as always, YMMV.

if you have called five agents, and the last three are telling you the same thing, it could be possible there is a note in your booking to this effect, and it probably won't matter how many more times you call... you'll get the same answer now.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Today I conservatively priced each segment using the lowest available business fare and I came up with a total of $25K for two tickets. Thank you US Air - I will be sad if this 90K award goes away!
90k plus taxes for RTW business is no doubt a great deal, but I don't think the same ticket would cost $12.5k to buy!! You can buy a *Alliance RTW for a lot less than piecing together one way fares for each segment!!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
Reservation Cancelled HELP

I placed a DM itinerary on hold and when I called back to ticket, the agent summarily cancelled it because I have "too many stopovers" and "transited too many regions." I politiely tried to reason with her to no avail, but I didn't push in the hopes that I could HUACA. However, the reservation appears cancelled online already. Is there anything I can do to get it back? I didn't think my reservation was especially egregious but maybe I am violating US rules?

The trip is:

IAD-ORD UA C
ORD-NRT NH F (22 hr layover)
NRT-SIN UA F(stopover)
Sin-SYD SQ regional C(dest)

SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-ZRH TG F
ZRH-IAD UA C

Last edited by NE flier; Jul 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NE flier
I placed a DM itinerary on hold and when I called back to ticket, the agent summarily cancelled it because I have "too many stopovers" and "transited too many regions." I politiely tried to reason with her to no avail. The reservation appears cancelled online already. Is there anything I can do to get it back? I didn't think my reservation was especially egregious but maybe I am violating US rules?

The trip is:

IAD-ORD UA C
ORD-NRT NH F (22 hr layover)
NRT-SIN UA F(stopover)
Sin-SYD SQ regional C(dest)

SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-ZRH TG F
ZRH-IAD UA C
in theory that looks ok! max permitted mileage was an issue for a while some time back, but leaving from IAD it should have been ok (I did almost the same routing in reverse via IAD just a month ago).

if it has been cancelled you can ring back and try another agent, assuming the seats are back in the inventory (if not keep a close eye on it over the next couple of days).

IAD is closer to SIN than SYD (only by 90 miles), so the stopover is correctly placed (not like sin is the destination with a massive detour to SYD).

did the agent out it via the rate desk? or just decide off their own back that it was unacceptable?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
in theory that looks ok! max permitted mileage was an issue for a while some time back, but leaving from IAD it should have been ok (I did almost the same routing in reverse via IAD just a month ago).

if it has been cancelled you can ring back and try another agent, assuming the seats are back in the inventory (if not keep a close eye on it over the next couple of days).

IAD is closer to SIN than SYD (only by 90 miles), so the stopover is correctly placed (not like sin is the destination with a massive detour to SYD).

did the agent out it via the rate desk? or just decide off their own back that it was unacceptable?
The agent had to call her "help desk" because i asked her to confirm the fare for our lap infant. The funny thing is that the agent who originally booked the itinerary checked with the rate desk about the infant fare. It was higher than I would have liked but I was prepared to pay it.

The agent who cancelled the reservation told me that she checked with a supervisor who confirmed that the inventory is invalid. First she said I had two stopovers but I pointed out that we only had one. Then she claimed I was "backtracking," which is clearly wrong. Finally she decided that I was transiting too many regions and claimed that a stopover is only allowed in the same region as the destination. The thing that gets me is that I was willing to change the reservation to comply with the agent's reasonable interpretation of the rules, but she didn't give me a chance.

The seats aren't back in inventory; does anyone know when TG, UA and NH tend to put award seats back in inventory? What's particularly sad is that we had managed to coordinate so that the flight from SYD to BKK on TG was with our infant's grandparents so that we could have the whole family in F!

Last edited by NE flier; Jul 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm Reason: additional clarity
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:40 pm

Here's a new one. The agent just told me I couldn't connect in DUS (Dusseldorf, Germany) because all connections have to be through a *A hub.

Was trying to fly MUC-DUS-IST. Connection in DUS was 90 minutes -- clearly not an overnight or any other kind of abuse. Only backtracking by about an hour or two flight time compared to the MUC-IST flight, and there was no availability nonstop.

Agent insisted connecting in DUS wasn't valid, even though the routing shows up on all sorts of normal booking sites (including United).

HUACA.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NE flier
The agent had to call her "help desk" because i asked her to confirm the fare for our lap infant. The funny thing is that the agent who originally booked the itinerary checked with the rate desk about the infant fare. It was higher than I would have liked but I was prepared to pay it.

The agent who cancelled the reservation told me that she checked with a supervisor who confirmed that the inventory is invalid. First she said I had two stopovers but I pointed out that we only had one. Then she claimed I was "backtracking," which is clearly wrong. Finally she decided that I was transiting too many regions and claimed that a stopover is only allowed in the same region as the destination. The thing that gets me is that I was willing to change the reservation to comply with the agent's reasonable interpretation of the rules, but she didn't give me a chance.

The seats aren't back in inventory; does anyone know when TG, UA and NH tend to put award seats back in inventory? What's particularly sad is that we had managed to coordinate so that the flight from SYD to BKK on TG was with our infant's grandparents so that we could have the whole family in F!
time for seats to go back into inventory can vary. TG is usually pretty quick.

the main problem is probably communication between the rate desk and the agent... much of what this thread is about is interpreting why a particular itinerary is deemed invalid, because often the agent doesn't correctly relay that information to the passenger.

for example, they might think the itinerary is being rejected because they think you can't have a stopover except in the same region, but the reason may be something entirely different.

now the stopover issue... I've had this happen before where an agent has decided I had two stopovers... this was because they used the star alliance booking tool, and any itinerary that was outside the suggested routings they would deem a 'construction' and therefore decided it was a stopover even if less than 24 hours. (it's what AA might deem as two awards in future if there is no published through fare).

there is however a rule that says stopovers are only permitted on the most direct route. flying the way you are is probably not considered a 'direct' route. try plugging in IAD-SYD into the star alliance flight finder.

that being said... as always... YMMV. I got the same route as you for travel last month, but routing via ICN rather than NRT. is there any way you can skip Asia and just fly direct IAD-FRA-BKK-SYD? (or similar)
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cactus47
Here's a new one. The agent just told me I couldn't connect in DUS (Dusseldorf, Germany) because all connections have to be through a *A hub.

Was trying to fly MUC-DUS-IST. Connection in DUS was 90 minutes -- clearly not an overnight or any other kind of abuse. Only backtracking by about an hour or two flight time compared to the MUC-IST flight, and there was no availability nonstop.

Agent insisted connecting in DUS wasn't valid, even though the routing shows up on all sorts of normal booking sites (including United).

HUACA.
the agent is incorrect. try again.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:09 pm

time for seats to go back into inventory can vary. TG is usually pretty quick.

the main problem is probably communication between the rate desk and the agent... much of what this thread is about is interpreting why a particular itinerary is deemed invalid, because often the agent doesn't correctly relay that information to the passenger.

for example, they might think the itinerary is being rejected because they think you can't have a stopover except in the same region, but the reason may be something entirely different.

now the stopover issue... I've had this happen before where an agent has decided I had two stopovers... this was because they used the star alliance booking tool, and any itinerary that was outside the suggested routings they would deem a 'construction' and therefore decided it was a stopover even if less than 24 hours. (it's what AA might deem as two awards in future if there is no published through fare).

there is however a rule that says stopovers are only permitted on the most direct route. flying the way you are is probably not considered a 'direct' route. try plugging in IAD-SYD into the star alliance flight finder.

that being said... as always... YMMV. I got the same route as you for travel last month, but routing via ICN rather than NRT. is there any way you can skip Asia and just fly direct IAD-FRA-BKK-SYD? (or similar)
Update: I spoke with another agent who told me that the itinerary is invalid because I'm crossing two oceans; according her, that is a RTW award. I know that rule has been debunked on this board several times already, but perhaps the rate desk was getting at the direct routing issue. Or perhaps this is a rule they have decide to start enforcing.

If it's the rate desk that's kicking these tickets, will I have any luck with HUACA? Even if I persuade another agent to grab this tickets, will the rate desk kick back? Would it make more sense to wait for a "shift change" at the rate desk?

I had previously found

JFK-VIE OS C (stopover)
VIE-MXP OS Y
MXP-BKK TG F
BKK-SYD TG F (destination)
SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-ZRH TG F
ZRH-IAD UA C
IAD-JFK UA Y

There's no workable award availability to JFK that connects to the OS flight and I can't find a way to get from IAD to Europe via the UA award tool. I can fly the IAD-JFK sector if I need to but don't mind throwing it away. Would this routing work? This itinerary only crosses one ocean from, though of course it is not as direct as IAD-LAX/SFO-SYD. Thanks for all of your wisdom!!

Last edited by NE flier; Jul 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Does anyone know how many miles HNL - NRT - CLT would cost for business class? Based on the chart on usairways.com, I'm guessing 90k a person?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:06 pm

the agent is incorrect. try again.
Yeah, I know. I just thought people here might enjoy this creative "rule" I was told.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I was told by a couple agent that cities with airports like HND/NRT or TSA/TPE are considered separate when booking the routing. Anyone ever get them to consider it as one city for the routing? HUACA?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
I was told by a couple agent that cities with airports like HND/NRT or TSA/TPE are considered separate when booking the routing. Anyone ever get them to consider it as one city for the routing? HUACA?
I've run into this before, especially with HND/NRT... they are treated as co-terminals (ie not open jaw).

for me getting the agent to read back the full name of the airport worked... they all know NRT is Tokyo, but only after saying 'Tokyo haneda' (rather than just haneda) did it click both airports were in the same city.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:20 am

When I read the segments I always say "Tokyo, but the other airport in Tokyo, so it's actually H-N-D instead" (or the same for Seoul, Shanghai etc.) Never had an agent treat it as an open jaw if I do this.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:57 am

Anyone has insights / would like to share their experience on NH First Class availability to/from Europe? Especially as to how long in advance they open up their inventory.

(Been trying to book them for several trips now, and when searching for availability through a period of several weeks, nothing ever shows up)

I have the same issue with CA, but since I'm not such a big CA fan, that's not too important

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.