Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
one more thing, domestic first class like PHX-HNL in a 2 cabin plane does not mean first class pricing when booked within a europe to USA ticket or. Had a travel agent on the phone who wanted to charge a little bit extra for that ...
JR
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by juergenritz
one more thing, domestic first class like PHX-HNL in a 2 cabin plane does not mean first class pricing when booked within a europe to USA ticket or. Had a travel agent on the phone who wanted to charge a little bit extra for that ...
JR
Just to clarify: this is true with an international (I believe it's actually transoceanic - i.e. TATL or TPAC) itin in business or first. A coach international itin doesn't upgrade the domestic parts to first for free.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:22 am

US Airways Business Class Award leads to bad seating on an RJ segment.

I booked a business class award from BHM -> HKG using my US Airways miles. I received an itinerary that includes the following segment

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._ERJ-145_B.php

with me placed in the last row. Should I call and ask to be placed in the Economy Plus? Do I contact US Airways or United Airlines?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by ebis; Apr 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:26 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
ebis, welcome to FlyerTalk!

As you booked this using your USAirways miles, that airline should be able to guide you in resolving the issue. I'll move it to that airline's forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - The ERJ 145 UA version has no E+ and the US version has no choice/preferred seating. It's a tiny aircraft. But, on both aircraft, the last row is horrible, with limited recline and next to a chemical toilet.

Having nothing to do with what class you are booked in, if there are any other empty seats, I would pick one of those ASAP. You can do this online or, if you're not familiar, just call the operating carrier for the flight segment, whether that's US or UA.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm looking at booking an award flight to Europe in business. The international portions are the standard award saver 50k miles each way. The question I have, however, deals with domestic US flights. If the only award left for a domestic first flight is 50k one way, how is that handled with regard to the mileage for the overall trip?

For example,

PHL-LGA 50K US Airways
JFK-LHR 50k United
LHR-JFK 50k United
LGA-PHL 50k US Airways

What's the total?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ShaneMcConnell
I'm looking at booking an award flight to Europe in business. The international portions are the standard award saver 50k miles each way. The question I have, however, deals with domestic US flights. If the only award left for a domestic first flight is 50k one way, how is that handled with regard to the mileage for the overall trip?

For example,

PHL-LGA 50K US Airways
JFK-LHR 50k United
LHR-JFK 50k United
LGA-PHL 50k US Airways

What's the total?
because you are flying united, it will be charged at the partner award level, which is 100k return (there is no one way). I believe this means the connecting flights have to be generally available for partner award redemption (that is, not at high or peak levels which require a surcharge)

USDM seems very flexible with connecting flights in this case, so it might be that you need to route phl-lga via another city.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
UA does not provide free E+ for business class itineraries. IMO this is insane, but that's what I've heard from them. I've used US miles for a UA Global First award itinerary with a 2+ hr RJ flight and they still offered E+ for sale. I find it absurd that they could charge $10,000+ for a ticket and not offer E+ on a domestic RJ segment but that's been my experience.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by chris4096
UA does not provide free E+ for business class itineraries. IMO this is insane, but that's what I've heard from them. I've used US miles for a UA Global First award itinerary with a 2+ hr RJ flight and they still offered E+ for sale. I find it absurd that they could charge $10,000+ for a ticket and not offer E+ on a domestic RJ segment but that's been my experience.
If the UAX segment has "reserved" seating (I believe this is the case on the E-145, CRJ-200 and Dash 8) you should be able to select one of those seats if you're connecting on to a BusinessFirst itinerary (at least I was able to flying BGM-IAD-LHR with the domestic segment on a Q200 and the TATL segment in C). At OLCI, I was able to move into the exit row. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with my US status.

EDIT: According to http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...nes_Q400_A.php there actually is a small E+ section on the Dash 8 Q400, and three rows of F. By the numbers it appears that the difference between E and E+ is minimal (1 additional inch of pitch). Regarding the "F cabin"... SeatGuru claims the same pitch and seat width as E+ but with only three across. At first I figured it was wrong information, until I found this press release issued by Bombardier from when the first two cabin Q400 went into service:

"First Class" really does appear to be nothing more than regular coach seats that are spaced slightly further apart. You'd think with barcoloungers being put on CR-7's and E-170's that United could have sprung for something a little nicer. A freebie for elites is one thing, but I'd feel bad for someone who shelled out $$$ for a domestic F ticket and got this

Last edited by thomwithanh; Apr 22, 2013 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:59 pm

Thank you all for the responses!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ShaneMcConnell

For example,

PHL-LGA 50K US Airways
JFK-LHR 50k United
LHR-JFK 50k United
LGA-PHL 50k US Airways

What's the total?
Uh, UA doesn't fly JFK-LHR. Hasn't for over a decade.

Otherwise, in order to book a partner award, as mentioned above, the US flights need to be at low.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
because you are flying united, it will be charged at the partner award level, which is 100k return (there is no one way). I believe this means the connecting flights have to be generally available for partner award redemption (that is, not at high or peak levels which require a surcharge)

USDM seems very flexible with connecting flights in this case, so it might be that you need to route phl-lga via another city.
Good to know, thanks for the help!!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Lets not forget that this is an ERJ which doesn't have either F or E+. It's not a Q400 and it's not anything else. So, sticking to OP's question, there's nothing to do here other than move his seat selection presuming that there's an empty seat to be had.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Uh, UA doesn't fly JFK-LHR. Hasn't for over a decade.

Otherwise, in order to book a partner award, as mentioned above, the US flights need to be at low.
UA flies EWR-LHR. OP probably searched JFK-LHR and came up with this result, as they are coterminals
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Seeing conflicting information.

1. No LH first as of 1-Jan-13

2. No LH at all as of 31-Oct or for any flights after 31-Oct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.