Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
How does NH WaitList work with USair award bookings?

NH 210 FRA-NRT Can only find WL in F. Anyone know how this works with USair booking ? Before I call in ? found all the other flts I need Cheers
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by redtop43
Just checking if I got correct info.

Have Mrs. Redtop booked RDU-OTP and back on UA/LH (using US miles) on an F award.

First leg, RDU-IAD, was not available in saver F when I booked, but is now.

US said I have to pay a change fee to upgrade that segment. In fact, they said that unless the entire itin is on US, there's a change fee.

Did I get correct info?

Not that I'm all that concerned about a 45-minute flight, if that.
correct... change of class usually attracts change fee (unless fee waived due to US elite status, or because you are lucky enough to get an agent to change for free... but that's pretty rare these days)
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thaidai
NH 210 FRA-NRT Can only find WL in F. Anyone know how this works with USair booking ? Before I call in ? found all the other flts I need Cheers
not sure if you mean wait list? if that's what you mean you can't. you could book business class and hope for space to open up later in F.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:54 am

ANA booking page shows only WL

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
not sure if you mean wait list? if that's what you mean you can't. you could book business class and hope for space to open up later in F.
Found all flts i need for trip Yyz to syd the pretty way. But ANA search just shows WL for NH210 in F. Hoped knowledgeable FTers could advise before I try calling in USairways.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Hi, I would like to know if this is a valid award routing for 140K miles RT in F class:

JFK-MUC (stop)
MUC-BKK-SYD (destination)
SYD-ICN-JFK

I think everything is ok with it except for maybe the maximum allowed mileage, but not sure how that works. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:01 am

US Air redemption NYC-Japan with an openjaw in AUA?

Hey guys. I'm planning a trip to Japan in September 2013, and I have a really quick question.

My planned itinerary will be:
Leg 1: JFK/LGA to NRT/HND
Leg 2: NRT/HND to EWR
Leg 3 (open jaw): AUA to JFK/LGA

My question is the legitimacy of the leg 3. I already have a 1 way JFK-AUA planned on AA for Nov. If I could work in the free return using US Air North Asia award, that'd be extremely awesome! Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by gtu2004
Hey guys. I'm planning a trip to Japan in September 2013, and I have a really quick question.

My question is the legitimacy of the leg 3. I already have a 1 way JFK-AUA planned on AA for Nov. If I could work in the free return using US Air North Asia award, that'd be extremely awesome! Thanks!
I see two issues for you to consider.

EWR & JFK may be considered to be co-terminals, so when you get to EWR on your return from Japan, you may have completed your R/T.

For award purposes, North Asia and the Caribbean are two distinct regions, so you may be trying to get two bites out of the proverbial apple.

In any event it never hurts to try. Please let us know the outcome.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thaidai
Found all flts i need for trip Yyz to syd the pretty way. But ANA search just shows WL for NH210 in F. Hoped knowledgeable FTers could advise before I try calling in USairways.
you can't wait list award space on a partner. maybe for ANAs own members there might be some ability to do that, but not otherwise.

first off, ring US and ask them to look up that segment. if they can see it, then go ahead and book the rest of your itinerary. if they cant, either book it now in a lower class and hope it opens later (possibly very unlikely give that NH can be hard to get) or find an alternative route.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elbombo
Hi, I would like to know if this is a valid award routing for 140K miles RT in F class:

JFK-MUC (stop)
MUC-BKK-SYD (destination)
SYD-ICN-JFK

I think everything is ok with it except for maybe the maximum allowed mileage, but not sure how that works. Thanks!
that should be fine... lots of other have the same or very similar itinerary. you MAY get charged 150k because of the stop in the higher zone (Europe). this is becoming more common, but is not always enforced.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
I see two issues for you to consider.

EWR & JFK may be considered to be co-terminals, so when you get to EWR on your return from Japan, you may have completed your R/T.

For award purposes, North Asia and the Caribbean are two distinct regions, so you may be trying to get two bites out of the proverbial apple.

In any event it never hurts to try. Please let us know the outcome.
Yea, I know I'm trying to get more than what is intended for the award haha. I wasn't quite sure about AUA being considered in the same region or not for US Air. For AA, it is part of North America.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Yea, I know I'm trying to get more than what is intended for the award haha. I wasn't quite sure about AUA being considered in the same region or not for US Air. For AA, it is part of North America.
There is no "North America" region on US Airways. AUA is part of the Caribbean.

http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cach...wardtravel.pdf
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: US Air Chairman's, SPG Plat, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
that should be fine... lots of other have the same or very similar itinerary. you MAY get charged 150k because of the stop in the higher zone (Europe). this is becoming more common, but is not always enforced.
Europe in F is only 125k, so the furthest region (and most expensive mileage-wise) is SYD (S. Pacific) so the stopover is in a lower mileage-region. Should be 100% fine.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: US Air Chairman's, SPG Plat, UA Platinum

Couple more issues I see: You can only have an open jaw at your destination, and the length of the open jaw segment can't exceed the longest fight (or something like that not 100% on what exactly it is but I know the "overland" distance is supposed to be governed). Plus AUA isn't a hub to allow a valid stopover, you can only have one stopover or open jaw per itinerary. There are more-- but the only way I could see this working is to have the trip begin in AUA to NRT then just ditch the return leg to AUA from EWR, but I assume that doesn't work with your timing. The upside to this is AUA to NYC seems to be a reasonably priced flight.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarterS
Europe in F is only 125k, so the furthest region (and most expensive mileage-wise) is SYD (S. Pacific) so the stopover is in a lower mileage-region. Should be 100% fine.
yes, but Europe-Australia is 150k.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:39 am

About to call in. Fingers crossed. Final critique?

Found the avalability n dates needed. YYZ-ORD ua,C. ORD-NRT nh,F. NRT-BKK tg,F. BKK- SYD tg,F ( dest). SYD-ICN oz,C. ICN-HKT oz,C ( stop/over) HKT-BKK tg,C. BKK-FRA tg,F. FRA-ORD ua,F.ORD-YYZ ua,C. (plan to change return dates as over330 days out happy to pay$150 fee) + hope to do for140k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.