Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:53 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by pschafer
...question - if a C seats does not become available before departure - can it be changed after her trip has commenced -
Unfortunately, no. US is unequivocal about this re Partner Travel ... (from website)
Changes to origin, destinations, class of service, award level, dates and times are not permitted once travel has commenced.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
thanks kudzu, I should have read the Ts&Cs more carefully.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
no Shanghai Airline availability

hi,

did anybody ever tried to book an award from HKG to PVG ?
there are plenty of seats available on the ANA tool, but they say, they dont offer shanghai air awards.

FM is since 2007 in the staralliance, i cant understand why us is still not offering fm awards.

dp
Old Apr 3, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Tried numerous times today to book ZRH-BKK-NRT(dest)-HKG-ZRH. Every agent quotes 100k miles as I would expect but then after it has been sent to have the taxes loaded, they report that will actually be charged 110k miles as I am transiting through BKK.
I have heard that there is an unwritten rule about USA-Asia via europe being charged at USA-Europe. Didn't know I would be hit with this rule when travelling to Asia from europe. I haven't seen any rule in the T's&C's stating that you have to pay the number of miles of the most expensive (miles-wise) country you pass through.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Took a little time but the CSR's were very friendly booking this F award

Nov 29 WLG-SYD Y NZ845
Nov 29 SYD-BKK F TG478
Dec 01 BKK-LHR F TG916
Dec 03 LHR-FRA C LH903
Dec 06 FRA-BKK F LH772
Dec 07 BKK-SYD F TG477
Dec 08 SYD-WLG Y NZ842

First agent found it difficult to understand me over Skype. Next agent then told me could not do mixed class awards (i.e Y on trans-tasman even though this is converting to 1 class soon (and I did not want to fly via AKL)). Next agent told me that I could only do 1 stopover on the whole Itinerary. Last agent clarified the rules for me, booked flights, and it was done!

This thread and the OP helped enormously

Jeff

Last edited by jswong; Apr 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by meecks
Hi guys I need your help to build my next award using the huge amount of miles miss meecks and me have, thanks to the many Us winter's promo.
I perfectly know how to use ANA and all the rules for the *A awards with Us miles, but I'll try to see if you experts have some better suggestions that I don't....
So here is the deal:

- We'd like to go ex-Eu (VCE) to Asia (BKK destination)
- We'd like to stop a week in DPS
- We'd like to try TK outbound and SQ inbound (I know there's something via-MUC)
- We'd like to fly F
- 3 weeks in February 2011 (from the 1st to 21st)

I tried using ANA doing VCE-IST-BKK(dest)-DPS-BKK-MUC-VCE but there's no 1st class seats available...
Do you think it's to early??? I tried before the new version of ANA site and it supposed to be some seats avail, but from yesterday only C class...
I hope not to be OT...
Thanks in advance
Max
Nothing OT about this, ... peachy3 mentions, you arent going to get a stopover in DPS, but a stopover in BKK should be easy since it is a hub for the intl partner.

One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction.

I would also point you to 2 great blog posts by Gary:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ward-bookings/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ing-questions/

It might be too early, but keep checking.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, GP DIAMOND
peachy3 and PWMFlyer19 thank you for your help, I really appreciate!!!
Well I'll try to do my best to book a grat F trip!
Stay Tuned!!!
Meecks
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by derpelikan
hi,

did anybody ever tried to book an award from HKG to PVG ?
there are plenty of seats available on the ANA tool, but they say, they dont offer shanghai air awards.

FM is since 2007 in the staralliance, i cant understand why us is still not offering fm awards.

dp
I've booked FM through LH Miles and More. So awards are available. But FM only operates three flights itself a day I think. The rest are codeshares.

Guess availability through US might differ but it's odd.

Could you try HKG-PVG via a second city such as PEK (on CA) or ICN? Painful but maybe worth the cost saving.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:44 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
Nothing OT about this, ... peachy3 mentions, you arent going to get a stopover in DPS, but a stopover in BKK should be easy since it is a hub for the intl partner.

One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction.
My recent experience (this week) regarding "partner's hub city":

I booked two itineraries ZHR-AKL-ZRH with a three day stopover in SYD on the outound, arriving with TG, leaving with NZ.
The first agent wouldn't do it "because you can't have a stopover in the same region as the destination". Second and third agent (and rate desk in both cases) were fine with it and I got it booked.

So, the "partner's hub city" rule seems still not to be enforced. ^
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I had a hub city rule oddity a couple months' back.

Here's what I put togeher:
IAD-ORD-ZRH-IST-BKK in UA F, LX F, TK C, TK F
BKK-DPS, TG C
DPS-BKK-LHR-IAD, TG C, TG F, UA F

I was told this was illegal, couldn't have a stopover in DPS!

I said DPS was destination, stopover was BKK.

"Oh."

Then they pressed me to demonstrate DPS was the destination rather than the stopover

I argued, DPS is the point of turnaround.

Agent was ok, rate desk said no (rate desk just as inconsistent with the rest).

So they wanted me to do a roundtrip to BKK only.

Second trip to the rate desk and all was well.

But as always, differnet people = different answers, and sometimes those answers are nonsensical.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Business Class to Asia?

Hi all -

This might be a dumb question but I couldn't find an answer online.

If I want to book a trip from the USA to Asia on Business Class how many miles will I be charged if I have a USA segment in First Class but all the international segments in Business Class?

For example, CLT - LGA (First Class because there are no business class for domestic flights)
LGA - PEK (Business Class)

Is that a first class ticket award ticket or will it still be priced as a business class ticket?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by AC521
Hi all -

This might be a dumb question but I couldn't find an answer online.

If I want to book a trip from the USA to Asia on Business Class how many miles will I be charged if I have a USA segment in First Class but all the international segments in Business Class?

For example, CLT - LGA (First Class because there are no business class for domestic flights)
LGA - PEK (Business Class)

Is that a first class ticket award ticket or will it still be priced as a business class ticket?

Thanks!!
Not a stupid question because occasionally some US agents get this wrong and need education on this point.

But on an international business class award you get domestic 2-cabin F if available, no extra points, it doens't bump up the award to an F award.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:24 pm

valid routing??

Can anyone kindly tell me if this is a valid routing for a Star Alliance Business Class award ticket?

JFK-ICN-HKG

HKG-FRA-JFK

In other words, can you go to HKG this way and come back to the USA through Frankfurt??

And would this be 90K miles for business class?
Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
For reference:

Trying to get 2 award seats in F on LX for JFK-GVA. US agents have been telling us there is only 1 seat despite ANA tool showing 2. So we decided to book separate PNRs and pull the 1 F seat and the other seat in C, in hopes that the US system would show the other F seat. Held the two reservations last night, no luck so far. ANA tool now shows 1 F seat available, but US sees nothing. We'll just keep calling in hopes that it opens before our holds expire Tuesday night. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Last edited by Ripper3785; Apr 4, 2010 at 6:19 pm Reason: correction/typo
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by boneplay
Can anyone kindly tell me if this is a valid routing for a Star Alliance Business Class award ticket?

JFK-ICN-HKG

HKG-FRA-JFK

In other words, can you go to HKG this way and come back to the USA through Frankfurt??
Yes. No problem with it. I have an upcoming:

ORD-ZRH-HKG (destination)
HKG-NRT (stopover on return -- notice I'm going further away for the stopover, before I come back)
NRT-FRA-ORD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.