Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:22 pm

Nope, just a layover.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by smit0847
Do city pairs trigger an open jaw or stopover?

I.e. if I fly into HND and out of NRT less than 24 hours later, is that considered a stopover? Is it allowed?
this can be a case of hang up and call again! I've had a couple of agents who thought Haneda and Tokyo were two different cities!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Distance flown is meaningless. It's all about the countries and airports where you have stopovers and make connections. I quick attempt at assembling that routing on ITA produces:

German Passenger Service Charge (RA) $48.50
Norway Passenger Charge (ZN) $21.10
Turkish Int'l Airport Service Charge (TR) $13.40
South Africa Passenger Service Charge (ZA) $87.10
South Africa Air Passenger Tax (WC) $42.60
South Africa Passenger Safety Charge (EV) $5.40
South Africa Passenger Services and Security Charge (UM) $6.60
Mauritius Passenger Service Charge (MU) $32.70
Mauritius Terminal Expansion Fee (OV) $4.70
Mauritius Passenger Fee (HH) $45.80
Mauritius Passenger Solidarity Fee (JE) $2.60
German Airport Security Tax (DE) $9.00

US is spot on.
Awesome, thank you for this!!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Another question regarding booking on partner airlines. If I want to book flight to Europe in J, and only first flight is on US (IAD-PHL), do I need to use 100K miles or thanks the the CC it will cost me 95K?

Thanks.,
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by bwiadca
...If I want to book flight to Europe in J, and only first flight is on US (IAD-PHL), do I need to use 100K miles or thanks the the CC it will cost me 95K? ,
The CC 5k discount only applies to all-US metal on one PNR ...

T&Cs

... In the event any portion of the award itinerary is not operated by US Airways/US Airways Express, or is not a valid roundtrip or open-jaw routing, these benefits will not apply for any part of the itinerary and the benefits will not be pro-rated ...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:18 am
soy

Programs: various
I will be sad when DM ends, just got

CDG-BKK TG F
BKK-HKG (STOP) TG F
HKG-ICN TG C

ICN-NRT OZ F
NRT-FRA NH F
FRA-CDG LH C

100K + $140 TAXES + $50 TICKET FEE
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5S, Starwood Gold
I have a question about a Star Alliance partner award I have booked using US Dividend miles and a possible change.

Currently booked open jaw itinerary is:

CLT-ORD-PEK (outbound)
HKG-ICN-ORD-CLT (return)

The ORD-PEK segment is on UA in Global First (yeah, I know, but better than nothing ) The HKG-ICN-ORD segments are on OZ with the ICN-ORD flight in OZ First Suite (woohoo!) The flights between CLT-ORD are on US metal.

So, finally my question. I now have reason to originate/terminate the trip in ORD. It seems on the surface that I could call up the Chairman's Preferred line and ask them to drop the CLT-ORD and the ORD-CLT flights and just leave everything else alone. I get to make changes for free as a Chairman, so no issue there. However, as you can imagine, I'm VERY nervous about doing anything that might cause an accidental cancellation of the outbound to PEK or the return in OZ first class from HKG/ICN.

Based on your experiences, should I be fine to make this tweak or would it be better if I just left it as is? I can still keep the schedule as booked, if I must, but it would be better to make the change, if I can be assured there is no risk to the rest of the itinerary.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by soy
I will be sad when DM ends, just got

CDG-BKK TG F
BKK-HKG (STOP) TG F
HKG-ICN TG C

ICN-NRT OZ F
NRT-FRA NH F
FRA-CDG LH C

100K + $140 TAXES + $50 TICKET FEE
So from ICN to CDG you have to connect in NRT + FRA ?
Or you can stop in any of these cities ? (means 2 stops total ?)
Does NRT-FRA has the new F square ?

CDG-BKK - row 1 has 4 windows and row 2 only 3
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by LoLJammer
...I now have reason to originate/terminate the trip in ORD. It seems on the surface that I could call up the Chairman's Preferred line and ask them to drop the CLT-ORD and the ORD-CLT flights and just leave everything else alone. ...
Based on your experiences, should I be fine to make this tweak or would it be better if I just left it as is? ...
Like you, I felt some trepidation when making changes to my SQ F transPac award resv (booked during the glitch last year). The first change involved MCT when SQ changed flight times and I couldn't make my US connection; US opened up inventory for me, changed US flights only, and the award ticket survived *phew*

Braver after that initial experience, I went ahead with another change for better US flight connections when the opportunity presented itself (through minor schedule change). Again, US opened up award inventory for me, and the SQ flights survived.

I think I must have pleadingly begged the agent more than once, "Please don't cancel my SQ resv, I'd never get it back"

It should be fine if the agent knows what s/he's doing, but the possibility of a screw-up (however small) is there ...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
I know stopovers and open jaws are not allowed when your entire trip is within the one zone, but has anyone had any success in the past with doing this?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:26 pm
zlc

I know stopovers and open jaws are not allowed when your entire trip is within the one zone, but has anyone had any success in the past with doing this?
I have done an open jaw on the US/Canada route back in 2008.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Thanks. Can you have a stopover in the same region as your origin if you are then travelling onto a different region? (ie JFK-LAX(stop)-NRT(dest)?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:38 pm

Using Dividend Miles for Copa Airlines

I'm trying to book an economy award using US Airways dividend miles and I'm looking at Star Alliance Copa Airlines. However, after numerous attempts, (and trips to the rate desk) the US Airways agents have told me that Copa has blocked all award travel to US Airways. Has anyone else been successful using Dividend miles on Copa Airlines?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Thanks. Can you have a stopover in the same region as your origin if you are then travelling onto a different region? (ie JFK-LAX(stop)-NRT(dest)?
Yes. I booked a similar routing last week.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:29 pm

Haven't followed this thread closely in awhile, but it seems US has gotten more stringent of late, so just a quick question -- can you still route to North Asia via Europe for 90/120k (from east coast if it matters)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.