Coach seat vs. FC bathroom

Old Nov 3, 09, 3:52 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis CC, Hertz Plat
Coach seat vs. FC bathroom

It has been my understanding that the FC bathroom is only for FC passengers, however, if the beverage cart is in the isle then they are too allow passengers to use the FC bathroom.

I flew PHX - ORD on Monday. Didn't get the upgrade as a Plat., but that was to be expected for this flight. I was in the exit row (10) and went to use the bathroom. The cart was further back in the plane, so I went up to the FC bathroom because I had already seen several people us it.

The FC bathroom was open and there weren't and FC passengers getting up to use it so I moved the stupid curtain out of the way. At that moment the FC flight attendant told me that I needed to go to the back of the plane and wait until they had finished the beverage service and use the bathrooms in the back of the plane. She said "Well, they are almost done. So you need to go back there and wait".

I know that this is picking at a small annoyance, but I disappointed and frustrated that I then had to wait 5 minutes at the back of the plane.

1) Am I right that I can use that bathroom if the cart is right?

2) has this happened to anyone else?
Old Nov 3, 09, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Wow, I thought this thread was about a new seat selection option on US.com.
Old Nov 3, 09, 5:52 pm

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
that was pretty non-customer friendly of the flight attendant! considering you weren't disturbing anyone and you had a legit reason.
Old Nov 3, 09, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I dunno, but when sitting in FC, I always felt they should install an electrified fence between the front and coach.
Old Nov 3, 09, 6:38 pm

Flew to TPA last weekend, and was upgraded to First and I witnessed something that upset me.

It was the A321 and beverage service in the back has just commenced. Cart was by row 8. An elderly gentleman sitting in row 4, with a cane who could barely walk, struggled to make it to the then empty First class cabin lavatory and was just about to enter, when suddenly, the FA, stopped preping drinks and told him to turn back around and use one of "we have many toilets in the back". The FA was excellent and Above & Beyond worthy up until that incident, which made me put my envelope away and reconsider.

You don't do that to anyone, and definitely not a senior passenger, regardless of where the cart is (in this case it was by row 8, so still a long ways to go).

Whats also interesting to note is that the F/A was not so young herself, so should completely understand what was going on. I'm not saying that this would be OK if it was a younger F/A, but today's youth that surrounds me possess a rhetoric that seems to say, we're young so it's OK for us to disrespect elders. It's not in any case.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Nov 3, 09, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (from US CP); SPG Plat; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw View Post
...It was the A321 and beverage service in the back has just commenced. Cart was by row 8. An elderly gentleman sitting in row 4, ...
Perhaps you meant row 5 bulkhead, as row 4 in an A321 is FC?

I think a pax in the main cabin ought to ask a FA first before using the FC bathroom; something like, "I've an URGENT need and the cart is blocking my way/I'm handicapped and can't walk so far......may I use the bathroom up front?"
Old Nov 3, 09, 8:23 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
I think a pax in the main cabin ought to ask a FA first before using the FC bathroom; something like, "I've an URGENT need and the cart is blocking my way/I'm handicapped and can't walk so far......may I use the bathroom up front?"
Exactly. Just ask and you'll probably be fine.
Old Nov 3, 09, 8:39 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
There was a huge thread on this recently on the AA board (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lass+Bathrooms) - sorry, I don't know how to post the link correctly. As I recall, people were evenly split between "let anyone use any bathroom" and "FC is for FC only." US does routinely announce as part of their pre-departure message thet the FC lav is reserved for FC PAX. I have even heard some iterations of suggesting that this is an FAA reg., (although this was soundly debunked on the thread referred to above."

My opinion is live and let live, but please do not congest the FC aisle, lean on my seat back or just come up to rubberneck. As far as policy, if you announce it pre-flight, then enforce it. If you announce it and don't enforce it, you just cause confusion the same as if you enforce it but don't announce it.

Last edited by brobab; Nov 3, 09 at 8:42 pm Reason: tried to add AA thread link
Old Nov 3, 09, 9:00 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I'm a firm believer if in FC use FC lav, if in Coach use the Coach lav. However, if the beverage cart is in the way, and there is no line for the FC lav, by all means, don't make people wait to be able to get to the Coach lav. If they REALLY want to enforce the rule, they should continuously move the bev cart to let people use their "approved" lav. I seriously doubt that they would want to do that. Silly.
Old Nov 3, 09, 9:05 pm

OK, I think, that as the policy states, the First Class Bathroom is for First Class pax only. I think if it is the policy it needs to be enforced! It is not enforced enough. However, I think it needs to be enforced with discretion (i.e. the senior citizen in the example above). It is an extra perk of F to have the bathroom close and only shared amongst a few people. However, a senior citizen or passanger who would be adversly affected using the back of Y should gladly be welcomed to use F bathroom.
Old Nov 4, 09, 7:13 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GaryZ View Post
I dunno, but when sitting in FC, I always felt they should install an electrified fence between the front and coach.
HA! Love it.
Old Nov 4, 09, 7:25 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis CC, Hertz Plat
Mixed responses, as expected. I totally understand that the FC bathroom is for FC passengers. Most of the time I am in F and I do not mind when coach passengers occassionally use the F bathroom as long as they are not congesting the isle or leaning on the seats.

I am frustrated at the response I got from the attendant because she could clearly see that I would be waiting several minutes to use the bathroom at the back of the plane. Who is she to determine how long I could/should wait to use the bathroom. If the cart is out they should not deny access to the bathroom.

I was especially frustrated because she did not deny coach passengers who used the F bathroom several minutes before me.

I'll move on. It isn't that big of a deal. Hopefully it won't happen again though.
Old Nov 4, 09, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw View Post
Flew to TPA last weekend, and was upgraded to First and I witnessed something that upset me.

It was the A321 and beverage service in the back has just commenced. Cart was by row 8. An elderly gentleman sitting in row 4, with a cane who could barely walk, struggled to make it to the then empty First class cabin lavatory and was just about to enter, when suddenly, the FA, stopped preping drinks and told him to turn back around and use one of "we have many toilets in the back". The FA was excellent and Above & Beyond worthy up until that incident, which made me put my envelope away and reconsider.

You don't do that to anyone, and definitely not a senior passenger, regardless of where the cart is (in this case it was by row 8, so still a long ways to go).

-Kinglobjaw
Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
Perhaps you meant row 5 bulkhead, as row 4 in an A321 is FC?

If the F lav is empty and there's no one in line, it's absolutely no skin off my back if someone wants to use it. It's not like people are using it because it's so luxurious; If you've gotta go, you've gotta go.

But in King's example above, the FA's attitude was inexcusable. Anyone with an ounce of common sense, would have realized why the gentleman was making his way to the front.

Mike
Old Nov 4, 09, 9:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Makes me think back to the Seinfeld airplane episode, "They really need a locking door. That curtain provides no security."

When I'm in F, there are several times when I scope out the scene, take off headphones, put away electonics, am about to get up to use the lav...when a coach pax bursts through to use it. Once one starts, there's usually a waterfall effect.

I can't recall a single instance when I've been in coach and used the F lav. Certainly if I have to go that bad, I would...but the cart coming down the aisle usually isn't a surprise, so it would be poor timing on my part.
Old Nov 4, 09, 10:02 am

I had a similar situation happen with the drink car in the aisle. The FA ran – literally ran up the aisle and slammed the restroom door just as I opened it. I discussed the situation for a few minutes with him and eventually gave up and sat back down and waited. Some other PAX did the same thing, only they actually used the bathroom. The FA ended up calling ahead and having LAS Metro PD waiting for them to talk with them about “interfering with a flight crew”.

This whole situation bothers me because I sit in F most weeks and not a trip goes by without a coach passenger using the F bathroom with no issue. It is almost like their policy is to not enforce their policy – unless they want to. Then we as pax have no idea what is fair game.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: