Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: andyr
Before asking the question: There is no way for you to "see" the certs in your account. But when you call, an agent will be able to verify they are there.

Note that if your US metal flights are purchased on AA stock, there is no option to waitlist - you must keep trying to upgrade by calling.

Per post #872, looks like as of 3/20 they are starting to disappear as accounts get migrated. Some report upgrades still working on 3/21. Obviously YMMV, but booking now rather than later may be advisable.
Print Wikipost

All About CP Upgrade certs (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: US CP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Segments
Add your phone number to your DM account. Then the system will automatically route you anytime you call. Any number to US will then route you to the CP line.
Oh that's awesome. Thank you!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
While I would have liked to use my CP certs before they turned into a pumpkin, I couldn't find either (a) any trips I needed to make where I could use them, or (b) any fares to places I'm interested in going to that were so good (i.e., 7.5-cents per mile or less) that I wanted to do a mileage run to use them.

AA, OTOH, does have some great TATL and TPAC fares from time to time where I would happily book flights if I knew I could use the SWUs. I've seen some of these that I wanted to book, but haven't booked because I don't have SWUs yet. So I'm not broken up about the CP Cert demise if I get the SWUs promptly.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: US, HH
According to this link posted in another thread http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...e16129706.html CP certificates can still be applied through this Friday 11.59pm CDT.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
While I would have liked to use my CP certs before they turned into a pumpkin, I couldn't find either (a) any trips I needed to make where I could use them, or (b) any fares to places I'm interested in going to that were so good (i.e., 7.5-cents per mile or less) that I wanted to do a mileage run to use them.

AA, OTOH, does have some great TATL and TPAC fares from time to time where I would happily book flights if I knew I could use the SWUs. I've seen some of these that I wanted to book, but haven't booked because I don't have SWUs yet. So I'm not broken up about the CP Cert demise if I get the SWUs promptly.
Agreed - I'm in the same boat. Plus, with the CP certs we still have to play the typical 7-day upgrade gamble for the domestic segments, and for us west coasters this could be almost half the flight time. As opposed to the SWUs we could apply up to the 3 segments each way and confirm at booking. Not complaining as it's a freebie but if you don't have an actual need (for miles or a trip) or if the fares aren't jumping out at you ... I'm probably going to let them lapse too.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:16 pm

Used my 2015 CP for a recent cheap LAX-CLT-LHR run. LAX-CLT didn't clear but rest all cleared and used it. It was a great that I can actually used it before it turned into nada.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Segments
You seem to presume that AA management has a respect for, and an interest in retaining, US elites. The integration plan to date and lack of reciprocity on upgrades kind of made it clear where they stood. Protect pmAA plan and elites. Maybe this is to smooth the integration (adopt pmAA practices in whole now, consider re-integrating stronger pmUS processes as "innovations" later). Time will tell.
^This.

They don't give a flying rat's behind about US Elites. That has been evident from the beginning of the merge of the two programs. And I think it is despicable that they, without much notice, put a time limit on when the certs you earned can be used by.

And, even though they are adding 500 mile upgrade certs to accounts, they are also 'capping' that at 60K miles... what about the rest of the miles that were flown?

bah!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The US Airways website implies that the Chairman's certs can only be used on flights that aren't eligible for complimentary upgrades (TATL, Hawaii, etc). Is this the case or can I burn my certs on a couple of domestic trips I have booked? I'm doubtful but I've seen some places saying "yes you can" out here on the interwebs so just wanted to double check.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Interestingly, my American account now records me as being Executive Platinum even though my miles haven't transferred and no system wide upgrades visible yet. Seems like it's getting there though.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
The US Airways website implies that the Chairman's certs can only be used on flights that aren't eligible for complimentary upgrades (TATL, Hawaii, etc). Is this the case or can I burn my certs on a couple of domestic trips I have booked? I'm doubtful but I've seen some places saying "yes you can" out here on the interwebs so just wanted to double check.
I think you used to be able to - but certainly not for the last couple of years.
There was a change about 2 years ago to specifically exclude the domestic part of a trip from the cert upgrade (e.g. ORD-PHL-LHR). But this is all moot now. Or within a few hours.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
It is correct that you can't use them on the domestic segments. They aren't "system-wide" like AA's instruments.

For example, if you were to book MCI-PHL-LHR, like I'm about to, and apply certs, PHL-LHR and LHR-PHL would be the segments the certs apply to. MCI-PHL and PHL-MCI would use the normal complimentary domestic upgrade process (and so might never upgrade).
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:40 pm

Did I miss the memo - 2 certs only UG's 2 flighs

For over a decade I've used my "2 certs" to UG my wife and I BOTH ways across the Atlantic. Just got off the phone with US CP agent and she says I have 2 certs and can UG only 2 flights (both of us one way or just one of us both out and back).

I know I'm not crazy. Just used my CP certs for me and my spouse to go to Spain last week. Both directions.

Did the rules change for 2015?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by PittDoc
For over a decade I've used my "2 certs" to UG my wife and I BOTH ways across the Atlantic. Just got off the phone with US CP agent and she says I have 2 certs and can UG only 2 flights (both of us one way or just one of us both out and back).

I know I'm not crazy. Just used my CP certs for me and my spouse to go to Spain last week. Both directions.

Did the rules change for 2015?
Nothing has changed, call again.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Gunner14
Nothing has changed, call again.
I HUACA'd and right away got the correct answer. Two certs in my account but can upgrade companion at the same time. Just as before. Amazing that a CP line agent, who went and "checked the rules" still had the wrong answer.

Booked PIT-PHL-CDG return in February 2016 for $1250 each.

BTW, lots of availability with 9+ upgradeable seats on most flights. Not exactly "springtime in Paris" but no crowds and better prices.

Last edited by PittDoc; Mar 26, 2015 at 7:46 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Originally Posted by PittDoc
I HUACA'd and right away got the correct answer. Two certs in my account but can upgrade companion at the same time. Just as before. Amazing that a CP line agent, who went and "checked the rules" still had the wrong answer.

Booked PIT-PHL-CDG return in February 2016 for $1250 each.

BTW, lots of availability with 9+ upgradeable seats on most flights. Not exactly "springtime in Paris" but no crowds and better prices.
How did you do this? I'm new to U.S. airways. Became CP via the challenge. If I search on the U.S. Airways site using flexible dates and Preferred upgrade, all the fares I can find between PHL and CDG (or MAD) are more than $3500 rt between now and Feb 2016.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by workandski
How did you do this? I'm new to U.S. airways. Became CP via the challenge. If I search on the U.S. Airways site using flexible dates and Preferred upgrade, all the fares I can find between PHL and CDG (or MAD) are more than $3500 rt between now and Feb 2016.
Don't select "preferred upgrade". Any coach fare is eligible to have CP certs applied to it.

I believe you have until EOD today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.