Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: andyr
Before asking the question: There is no way for you to "see" the certs in your account. But when you call, an agent will be able to verify they are there.

Note that if your US metal flights are purchased on AA stock, there is no option to waitlist - you must keep trying to upgrade by calling.

Per post #872, looks like as of 3/20 they are starting to disappear as accounts get migrated. Some report upgrades still working on 3/21. Obviously YMMV, but booking now rather than later may be advisable.
Print Wikipost

All About CP Upgrade certs (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: US-CP PCplatAmb HHgold MARgold
success on CLT-FCO

just booked (online) RT from CLT-FCO, nonstop, late Sunday night.
outbound first week of may, return in the second week.
chose the flights for the cheap (relatively) airfares, and they also picked ones that seemed to have the most open envoy seats.
was able to call and get upgraded with CP certs immeadiately after booking (both directions, and with companion).

Mrs ripvan is a happy camper this week (me too)

(off topic for this forum - but was able to get 5 free nights at the intercontinental rome from priority clubs sweet dilemma promo they ran at end of last year)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:41 am

Anyone know how this works if I upgrade myself (only one available) today and then upgrade the passenger after Feb 28th (when the new certs land and the old ones go away)? Will it pull from the already applied cert, or will they try to burn my new cert to upgrade the companion?

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I had much the same experience . . . split the PNR and then was told that since there was only one upgrade available, if I used it the companion half would be lost (after I has specifically told the rep what I wanted to do before the split was done). Momentary panic ensued.

So I asked the rep to check with a supervisor and she confirmed that I could use the companion half later when a second seat opened up for upgrade and put a note on the un-upgraded PNR (mine) to that effect. I also got the name of the supervisor in Winston-Salem who approved this. Hope it works (flight not til summer but cert expires at the end of February).
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: US, UA, BA, AA
CP Intl. Upgrades

Does anyone know if you have to purchase a specific fare to use CP systemwide upgrades?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
I used my certs to upgrade an eSaver ticket to AMS. Other than the external consolidators, I don't think it gets any cheaper than an eSaver fare.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
X2. e-savers work, as do cheap discounted fares bought on US (whenever available).

They don't work on tickets booked with miles (of course).

HTSC
Originally Posted by tacostuff
I used my certs to upgrade an eSaver ticket to AMS. Other than the external consolidators, I don't think it gets any cheaper than an eSaver fare.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:11 pm

i don't know what the fare code was, but last week i booked 2 tickets, CLT-FCO, for early May that were less than $670 RT (AI) each, and was able to call immediatley and use my CP certs.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: US, UA, BA, AA
Great! But if this is my first year as CP can I only use systemwide upgrades when the program year starts (end of Feb.)? Or can I book now and call to use them?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Is there any way to informally check to see if a CP upgrade would be available? If only 'high' awards (or 'medium') are available would that mean no CP upgrades?

To use my 2010 CP upgrades, I'm looking at a PHX-PHL-BCN trip in May (possibly into June), flexible dates (and even flexible on location to some degree, esp if there's a chance of the Envoy suites and an easy connection to BCN, without crazy taxes). But most of that time is the 'high' awards.

Ideally, I'd like to purchase knowing that the seats would be immediately upgraded.

I'm assuming that it would be possible to use the CP certs with an open jaws itinerary too? So I can fly to BCN, back from VCE, travel between the two on my own, and get upgraded on both legs?

Any ideas?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Open jaw is okay - I did it last year.

Look for low award availability - that is a fairly good indicator.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by mjfink
Anyone know how this works if I upgrade myself (only one available) today and then upgrade the passenger after Feb 28th (when the new certs land and the old ones go away)? Will it pull from the already applied cert, or will they try to burn my new cert to upgrade the companion?
I don't know, but if the companion upgrade doesn't open up by about Feb 20, I intend to ask when I call the CP line.

Originally Posted by tflyer544
great! But if this is my first year as CP can I only use systemwide upgrades when the program year starts (end of Feb.)? Or can I book now and call to use them?
You must book the flight and apply the 2010 cert by Feb 28, but the flight can be much later . . . I think until Feb 29, 2012 (but maybe only until 12/31/11). You will get a whole new set of certs for 2011 as well (they may be available already, I haven't checked, but they will certainly be available on March 1). If you don't use your 2010 certs by Feb 28th, they go away.

Originally Posted by aztimm
Is there any way to informally check to see if a CP upgrade would be available? If only 'high' awards (or 'medium') are available would that mean no CP upgrades?
Pick the destination and approximate dates you want to travel, look at the Envoy seat map for open seats, and call the CP line to ask about the flights that seem most promising. They are generally happy to answer questions of whether upgrades are available for various flights and days. When I get great service, I generally ask for name and employee number so I can send in an A&B certificate for the agent.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC

Pick the destination and approximate dates you want to travel, look at the Envoy seat map for open seats,
Does this work for you? The last few times I've tried to view the Envoy seat map, the page never loads. I never seem to have trouble with coach seating, just Envoy.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by richinaz
Does this work for you? The last few times I've tried to view the Envoy seat map, the page never loads. I never seem to have trouble with coach seating, just Envoy.

Thanks.
Not having problem using Firefox 3.6.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by ripvan
i don't know what the fare code was, but last week i booked 2 tickets, CLT-FCO, for early May that were less than $670 RT (AI) each, and was able to call immediatley and use my CP certs.
for the return "low award" was showing on the site, but our outbound was showing as "medium award" and still were able to use.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
So, do we know for sure when the new CP intl upgrade certs are issued? If they are issued on 01Mar, does that mean that we all are going to call that day and try to use them (assuming we have our intl flights booked already)?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by apeortdz
So, do we know for sure when the new CP intl upgrade certs are issued? If they are issued on 01Mar, does that mean that we all are going to call that day and try to use them (assuming we have our intl flights booked already)?

The program year ends Feb 28, and yes, the new certs have historically been electronically deposited Mar 1 into our CP accounts.

When the new certs are in place, the old/existing ones (if not used) go away. Any upgrades after Mar 1 would bd supported by the new certs, which are good til Feb of the following year.

Since it's "use it or lose it", I try hard to confirm my upgrades at booking, being as flexible with dates as I can. I'm really not a fan of booking first and calling for upgrades later, as there's no wait-list and *sigh* I got better things to do than calling every day to inquire...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.