Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: andyr
Before asking the question: There is no way for you to "see" the certs in your account. But when you call, an agent will be able to verify they are there.

Note that if your US metal flights are purchased on AA stock, there is no option to waitlist - you must keep trying to upgrade by calling.

Per post #872, looks like as of 3/20 they are starting to disappear as accounts get migrated. Some report upgrades still working on 3/21. Obviously YMMV, but booking now rather than later may be advisable.
Print Wikipost

All About CP Upgrade certs (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by kudzu
richinaz,

CP certs are normally issued (electronically deposited) March 1 each year and good until February the following year. At any one time, a CP only has one set (2+2) of these certs.

There was a one-time courtesy exception made in providing you with certs during the program year when you first gained CP status in Nov 2010, putting you on equal footing with all CPs who had certs issued to them the normal way back in Mar 2010 and expiring Feb 2011.

As you note, you now have another set, issued Mar 2011 and expiring Feb 2012.

If you attain CP status again this Nov 2011, you will not get another set of certs right then (you already have a set). You'd get another set of certs Mar 2012, expiring Feb 2013.
Thanks. That is what I thought was true but with airlines you never know.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:29 am

I called the CP Line and was upgraded about 20 hours prior to the flight and on that call, initally they said no seats were available, nice operator put me on hold for quite some time and she came back on the line and said she begged to get one released. During the actual flight, Envoy was less that 50% full.

This process is broken.

Last edited by samgvb; Oct 6, 2011 at 12:32 am
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by samgvb
I called the CP Line and was upgraded about 20 hours prior to the flight and on that call, initally they said no seats were available, nice operator put me on hold for quite some time and she came back on the line and said she begged to get one released. Envoy was less that 50% full.

This process is broken.
Glad you got a desirable resolution; but, yes, it does sound like a system gone wrong; and does make one (well, me at least) wonder about the advantages of buying up to CP (since these upgrades strike me as the easiest to calculate benefit per dollar spent on the purchase of additional status).

Anyhow, I appreciate the updates.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I called the CP Line and was upgraded about 20 hours prior to the flight and on that call, initally they said no seats were available, nice operator put me on hold for quite some time and she came back on the line and said she begged to get one released. Envoy was less that 50% full.

This process is broken.
I had a similar experience in August where the flight was the next day and there were plenty of Envoy seats open. I wanted to use my CP cert and, although it got done, it was not as easy as it should have been at that point.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: US CP

This process is broken.
Should this become the norm, it calls into question the value of the CP Certificates. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for this benefit. However, it would be nice if the process was a little less uncertain and dependent upon who you get on the phone.

Does anyone think it is the case they would prefer people to pay the $500 GoUpgrade (or whatever it is called for international) than release the seats for CP Certificate upgrades, or are they the same award bucket?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:50 am

I don't really know what would be fair to all concerned. It would be great to be able to put your reservation on a waiting list immediately after the booking to use the certs but I am not sure if that is the best approach. In the long run, I have never not been able to use both of my certs but it truly comes down to the wire anymore. I look for low envoy availablility every day and call in about once a month and it still ends up being a week or less prior to flight when I can upgrade.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: US dirt (former CP), Marriott Gold, UA Prem Exec, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyProf
Does anyone think it is the case they would prefer people to pay the $500 GoUpgrade (or whatever it is called for international) than release the seats for CP Certificate upgrades, or are they the same award bucket?
Not sure if this is true, but I was told by a CP Angel a few days ago that e-Cert upgrades are booked in J and GoEnvoy is from the O bucket (which didn’t really make sense to me as that is the First Domestic upgrade bucket, but that's what I was told).

Originally Posted by apeortdz
I don't really know what would be fair to all concerned. It would be great to be able to put your reservation on a waiting list immediately after the booking to use the certs but I am not sure if that is the best approach. In the long run, I have never not been able to use both of my certs but it truly comes down to the wire anymore. I look for low envoy availability every day and call in about once a month and it still ends up being a week or less prior to flight when I can upgrade.
Agreed, I’ve never not (sorry for double neg) been able to use the eCerts but they are definitely getting very stingy (ie - upgrade for my flight tonight just became available this morning).

As for the process, there has to be a better way, but any way they 'fix' it will annoy someone, of course. Simply luck of the draw as to when you call, or who your agent is (and whether s/he is willing to call inventory control, and whether they'll open one or two) is a bit frustrating. But then again, if I'm willing to call 5x per day to make sure I get the upgrade, shouldn't I? Or should it be based on current year miles flown, ticket fare purchased, who booked first or who requested an upgrade first? Again, either way, someone is going to not be happy about it.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: US CP; Marriott G
how do I tell if when seats open up in envoy for CP certs

I booked some flights to Dub, 75% of the seats are still unbooked according to the agent but I'm not allowed to use my upgrade certs yet, other than calling and asking how can I tell when they open up?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by laclac01
...other than calling and asking how can I tell when they open up?
Some say that looking for Low award availability on website is a good indicator. There's an ongoing discussion in this thread.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
But you need to call every day...

I am a CP and am trying to use these two certificates for us to travel to GIG. Flight clearly shows space both on outbound and return (at least 9 seats open in Biz).

When I tried to upgrade using my certificates was told no seats available right now but please call tomorrow to see if inventory has opened any seats. I have been calling every day for the past 14 days.

What happened to customer service? Why can' they put me on the waitlist - just like they do for Domestic? No one knows!

Does anyone know who to get an upgrade using these besides 'calling CHPR desk every day?'

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by ACC2008
I am a CP and am trying to use these two certificates for us to travel to GIG. Flight clearly shows space both on outbound and return (at least 9 seats open in Biz).

When I tried to upgrade using my certificates was told no seats available right now but please call tomorrow to see if inventory has opened any seats. I have been calling every day for the past 14 days.

What happened to customer service? Why can' they put me on the waitlist - just like they do for Domestic? No one knows!

Does anyone know who to get an upgrade using these besides 'calling CHPR desk every day?'

Thanks
How soon is your flight to Rio? It seems that Envoy seats open up very near the flight date anymore. There is not much else you can do but keep checking(*) and wait it out. I know it is frustrating as we all have been there many times.

What do you mean "Why can't they put me on the waitlist - just like they do for Domestic?" When do they do this for domestic?

(*) Either call the CP desk or check online for Low availability.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Hey all,

I'm a noob to US, looking at moving over after some of UA's changes. If I were to attain CP, but don't have a companion travel (a lot will be business going solo), are those certs pretty much useless, or can they be exchanged for something (miles, etc)?

Thanks,

Super
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
If I were to attain CP, but don't have a companion travel (a lot will be business going solo), are those certs pretty much useless...
The CP Companion certs have to be used by someone flying with you - so yes, they are pretty worthless if you don't use them for that purpose (can't exchange them for miles, etc)
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
The CP Companion certs have to be used by someone flying with you - so yes, they are pretty worthless if you don't use them for that purpose (can't exchange them for miles, etc)
That sucks. Thanks for the answer though.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
That sucks.
It does. Personally, instead of two CP Upgrades and two Companion Upgrades, I'd rather have four CP Upgrades that could be used with a companion if desired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.