Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Again for Nov & Dec: Buy/Gift/Share miles, receive 100% bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by TheAirman
Sorry for asking again, but I really want to be certain before entering into any transaction.

I can get max. 100k miles + 150k bonus miles out of this with two accounts?
I would follow the following scenario:

account A gifts 50k to account B => B has 100k miles
account A buys 50k => A has 100k miles
account B shares with account A 50k miles => account A gets 100k miles and has already 100k miles, so total would be 200k; while account B still has 50k miles.

Is this calculation correct ? Would you only get the bonus once per kind of transaction (buy, share, gift) with max. of 50k per transaction ?

If not couldn't I just share back and forth and get the bonus ?

Like A shares with B 50k => B has 100k miles
B shares with A 50k => B has 50k miles, A has 100k miles
A shares again with B 50k miles => B has 150k miles, A has still 50k miles
... and so on ?

Sorry for asking, but as I wrote in the beginning I want to be certain.

Cheers
TheAirman
I don't think A can share again with B another 50K, as the limit is 50K per account
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:02 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheAirman
I can get max. 100k miles + 150k bonus miles out of this with two accounts?

[...]

If not couldn't I just share back and forth and get the bonus ?
The safe assumption has to be that with two accounts you can get 250,000 miles onto each account, as described above.

It might be possible to "gift" or "share" more often, i.e. the US Airways and points.com computers might allow additional transactions to go through. But you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if a subsequent audit led to the extra bonus miles being removed. In that case, you'd either be paying full price for "gifted" miles or (even worse) paying the "share miles" price for zero net gain.

I'm happy to leave it at 250,000 per account for several reasons. For a start, it already represents an investment of over 6,500 USD. That's more than enough to be entrusting to any airline at the moment. It will take a while to burn 500,000 miles -- and at some point in the coming year I need to pay for a couple of long-haul flights with real money, in order to retain status.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Limit is 50,000 for EACH of buy, share, and gift. I have successfully completed all three transactions at the limit, so I can personally confirm that this works.
did these transactions post as purchases from us airways (i.e., should i use a us airways credit card that provides bonus miles for purchases from us airways in order to maximize the miles earned)?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
would anyone like to "share" with my son?

my wife and i "shared" 50,000 miles back and forth under the terms of this program.

we have a 2 year old son who is a newly-minted dm member. i'd be happy to "share" 50,000 miles back and forth with another member (using my son's account) if anyone out there is looking for a partner with whom they can share miles.

this would requrie a little bit of trust in me. my son's account currently has only 1400 miles in it, so the initial transaction would have to be from you to him. i promise, of course, to initiate the "return" transaction immediately upon receipt of the miles into his account.

if you're interested, please pm me.

thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:08 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by OverpaidSlacker
did these transactions post as purchases from us airways [...]?
On an AMEX the charge shows as:

US AIR BUY POINTS LOYALTY

On a Chase MC last time (July/August) it posted as:

US AIR BUY POINTS POINTS.COM NH

Generally, my understanding is that when points/miles purchases are routed via points.com the charges are not seen as payments to the issuing airline or hotel group and do not attract credit card bonus points/miles.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by IMH
On an AMEX the charge shows as:

US AIR BUY POINTS LOYALTY

On a Chase MC last time (July/August) it posted as:

US AIR BUY POINTS POINTS.COM NH

Generally, my understanding is that when points/miles purchases are routed via points.com the charges are not seen as payments to the issuing airline or hotel group and do not attract credit card bonus points/miles.
It's probably not worth arguing for the double points but it is frustrating when the points.com transaction isn't transparent. On US, it looks like the process occurs entirely on usairways.com unless you look behind the scenes to see where the web code and traffic are going.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but how long do these transactions take? I am looking at using them on LH and not sure how long the award seats will still be around.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I can see the simple math...but is this really a good spend? $500 to get 50k translates to around a penny, but that's a lot of cash to lay out.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:27 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by German-FLyer
how long do these transactions take?
Instant, unless for some reason (or for no reason...) points.com has a problem with your credit card.

Originally Posted by dingo
I can see the simple math...but is this really a good spend? $500 to get 50k translates to around a penny, but that's a lot of cash to lay out.
It's certainly not for everyone, but it's a great way to get (for example) a TATL return in J for not much more than 1,200 USD including fees and taxes.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
Instant, unless for some reason (or for no reason...) points.com has a problem with your credit card.

It's certainly not for everyone, but it's a great way to get (for example) a TATL return in J for not much more than 1,200 USD including fees and taxes.
Even better if you use a buy + share method and have enough for J or F to the South Pacific, potentially via Asia.

Since I've become pretty skilled with the ANA tool, I remain confident that I can usually find SOME routing that will work for me within a day or two of when I want to go. So this is like pre-buying my tickets.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Quick question - I just joined Dividend Miles to take advantage of this deal. I don't see any mention of the 7.5% federal tax on the web site? Is it possible that this tax only applies to US residents? I can't try a purchase yet as I need to wait for 10 days.

Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by pschafer
Quick question - I just joined Dividend Miles to take advantage of this deal. I don't see any mention of the 7.5% federal tax on the web site? Is it possible that this tax only applies to US residents? I can't try a purchase yet as I need to wait for 10 days.

Thanks.
It will be added on the purchase page - you will see it when you can actually continue past the page where you enter your DM #, Name, Email and miles you wish to purchase without getting the "You can't buy miles yet" message.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
"sharing miles"

Just wanted to make sure:

- If I share 50k miles this will cost me $530 and the other person would receive a 100k miles under this promotion?
- Is there a limit to how many miles can be shared from one account to another? (despite the fact that you only get the bonus for the first 50k coming into your account this way)

Thank´s!

Last edited by Jasper2009; Nov 5, 2009 at 7:15 am
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:02 am
IMH

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If I share 50k miles this will cost me $530 and the other person would receive a 100k miles under this promotion?
It will cost you $567.50 (including federal excise tax). 50,000 miles will be deducted from your account and 100,000 miles will be credited to the other person's account.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Is there a limit to how many miles can be shared from one account to another? (despite the fact that you only get the bonus for the first 50k coming into your account this way)
I'm 99% sure that there isn't, although there is a 50,000 mile per transaction limit. But why would you want to transfer miles, other than to benefit from the bonus? It's an expensive thing to do -- far more cost effective to buy additional miles and get the bonus on them.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by dingo
Well, it's certainly cheaper than buying a C ticket to Europe. And you get a stop over to boot.

Halothane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.