Surprised at the size of Zone 1 boarding

Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:00 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SAN
Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Posts: 1,535
United does Global Services and First class and then zone 1. The lines are also very long at United. I was on a 777 and there was over a 100 people in zone 1.
carl92103 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:49 am
  #32  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,510
The entire idea of CPs and Paid F only in zone one is to reduce the number of people in that zone - Much like UA does with F and UGS. Perhaps F, US1 and the new Plat would make sense as gold seems to be the largest group. It would stink for Gold's who flew their miles, but I guess that's the price the airline has to pay for manufacturing so many.
McFlyPHL is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:00 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,452
Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHA900 AU-MIC-A900/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
The entire idea of CPs and Paid F only in zone one is to reduce the number of people in that zone - Much like UA does with F and UGS. Perhaps F, US1 and the new Plat would make sense as gold seems to be the largest group. It would stink for Gold's who flew their miles, but I guess that's the price the airline has to pay for manufacturing so many.
i as a gp who flew 60k pref miles support fast tracks to a certain extent after all a fast track got us hooked to us airways big time!
kinglobjaw is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:04 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Posts: 727
Originally Posted by carl92103
United does Global Services and First class and then zone 1. The lines are also very long at United. I was on a 777 and there was over a 100 people in zone 1.
Yes. If you are FC on UA, your boarding pass does not have a zone number on it (I am guessing the same is true if you're UGS). As such, UA always does a FC and UGS only pre-board and they enforce it --- if you don't have an FC or UGS boarding pass you get told to wait your turn and asked to step aside -- I've seen it happen on UA many times. Then UA begins with Zone 1 (which can be large); Zone 2, etc. I'm not saying the UA system is perfect, but it is better than US. US just needs to bring back an F pre-board where you must be holding an F boarding pass to board and then go by zone. Alternatively, the making Zone 1 CP and F ONLY (and enforcing that), as suggested by another poster, sounds o.k. too.

The need for a re-vamped boarding system is doubly true on TA flights. As it currently stands there's no Envoy Class pre-board --- it's the same Zone 1 and 2 all at once thing. This seems like a pretty easy (a/k/a it's not going to cost much money, if any) problem to fix.
PremiumSeat is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:31 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Posts: 1,341
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
Yes. If you are FC on UA, your boarding pass does not have a zone number on it (I am guessing the same is true if you're UGS). As such, UA always does a FC and UGS only pre-board and they enforce it --- if you don't have an FC or UGS boarding pass you get told to wait your turn and asked to step aside -- I've seen it happen on UA many times. Then UA begins with Zone 1 (which can be large); Zone 2, etc. I'm not saying the UA system is perfect, but it is better than US. US just needs to bring back an F pre-board where you must be holding an F boarding pass to board and then go by zone. Alternatively, the making Zone 1 CP and F ONLY (and enforcing that), as suggested by another poster, sounds o.k. too.

The need for a re-vamped boarding system is doubly true on TA flights. As it currently stands there's no Envoy Class pre-board --- it's the same Zone 1 and 2 all at once thing. This seems like a pretty easy (a/k/a it's not going to cost much money, if any) problem to fix.

I believe that will happen when they adopt the HP boarding... F will be first.. then Zone 1..etc....
LAX1K to AmWest is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:32 am
  #36  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,510
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
i as a gp who flew 60k pref miles support fast tracks to a certain extent after all a fast track got us hooked to us airways big time!
Then in the suggestion being discussed, you would board in zone 2. Just as you would on UA. (though UA calls it zone 1, it actually boards second.)
McFlyPHL is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:19 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Posts: 3,411
I am so tired of "zone one, zone 2" immediately. If i would fly once a year but own a US credit card I would be one of th 90% of the plane in 2. Keep it F, then 1, THEN 2 I feel! You should board at ABE, it is a little place, but US has 319 service once daily out of there. I was in line, f, and some guy in front of me had ZONE 4! The ga left him past and smiled!
PhillyPhlyer40 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:00 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: here
Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
That would not work, because Zone 1 is ALL STAR GOLD, and ALL STAR GOLD will include CP,PP, and GP. Zone 2 will be SP and DM Mastercard, and DM Visa
Dude,
This is a hypothetical discussion...
Anything would work.
orfflyer is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:25 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: DC|NYC
Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Posts: 3,201
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
Yes. If you are FC on UA, your boarding pass does not have a zone number on it (I am guessing the same is true if you're UGS). As such, UA always does a FC and UGS only pre-board and they enforce it --- if you don't have an FC or UGS boarding pass you get told to wait your turn and asked to step aside -- I've seen it happen on UA many times. Then UA begins with Zone 1 (which can be large); Zone 2, etc. I'm not saying the UA system is perfect, but it is better than US. US just needs to bring back an F pre-board where you must be holding an F boarding pass to board and then go by zone. Alternatively, the making Zone 1 CP and F ONLY (and enforcing that), as suggested by another poster, sounds o.k. too.

The need for a re-vamped boarding system is doubly true on TA flights. As it currently stands there's no Envoy Class pre-board --- it's the same Zone 1 and 2 all at once thing. This seems like a pretty easy (a/k/a it's not going to cost much money, if any) problem to fix.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
(times infininity!)
EnvoyBoy is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:07 am
  #40  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,510
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Yes! Yes! Yes!
(times infininity!)
Sounds an awful lot like that diner scene in that Harry and Sally movie....
McFlyPHL is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:48 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,452
Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHA900 AU-MIC-A900/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
i as a gp who flew 60k pref miles support fast tracks to a certain extent after all a fast track got us hooked to us airways big time!
Then in the suggestion being discussed, you would board in zone 2. Just as you would on UA. (though UA calls it zone 1, it actually boards second.)
no gp deserves z1 because its *G
kinglobjaw is offline  
Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:04 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Programs: Marriott PlatPremier, US Air Chairmans, United Prem Exec
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
How many "pseudo-elites" did the summer promo's generate? Seems like everyone was a US2 from what I could see.
I think the problem is two-fold. First is the problem of status matching that all the airline and hotel chains seem to do nowadays. It seems that just about everyone is elite. I remember taking a flight on America West from San Francisco to Phoenix and - I'm not kidding - 80% of the people on the plane had some sort of elite status. Unless you're Chairman the status is practically worthless, other than the bonus miles you get.

The second problem is limited bin space. I've noticed this more on the older planes. Even in first class they fill up quickly. So you get the crowding in the boarding area as a result.
ontheroadps is offline  
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:05 pm
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,510
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
no gp deserves z1 because its *G
Excellent reasoned argument against what seems to be the consensus.
McFlyPHL is offline  
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:06 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington, DC (DCA)
Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Posts: 3,464
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHA900 AU-MIC-A900/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)



no gp deserves z1 because its *G
If the goal is to have smaller boarding groups than why does GP deserve zone 1. There are now 2 tiers above GP. However the biggest problem is not who is in each zone, the problem is GA's calling zone 1 and 2 at the same time and not enforcing it. Ive seen many people in zone 3 or 4 boarding with zone 1 and 2.
uva185 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:08 pm
  #45  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,510
Originally Posted by ontheroadps
The second problem is limited bin space. I've noticed this more on the older planes. Even in first class they fill up quickly. So you get the crowding in the boarding area as a result.
I'm not so sure about worthless - this past week I bothered to look at the manifests and noticed that on 3/4 flights I was the only US1. There were several US2/3's and even a few US4s. Probably at peak times on peak days you are absolutely correct, though.

Perhaps if airlines fixed baggage issues and delvery times people would carry on less. Depending on the number of elites, they could also sell >1 carry on (inclusive of a personal item) and make it a free perk to elites. Alternately, they could adopt an LH intra-Europe policy that limits carry ons by weight.
McFlyPHL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.