Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprised at the size of Zone 1 boarding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
United does Global Services and First class and then zone 1. The lines are also very long at United. I was on a 777 and there was over a 100 people in zone 1.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The entire idea of CPs and Paid F only in zone one is to reduce the number of people in that zone - Much like UA does with F and UGS. Perhaps F, US1 and the new Plat would make sense as gold seems to be the largest group. It would stink for Gold's who flew their miles, but I guess that's the price the airline has to pay for manufacturing so many.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:00 am

Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHA900 AU-MIC-A900/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
The entire idea of CPs and Paid F only in zone one is to reduce the number of people in that zone - Much like UA does with F and UGS. Perhaps F, US1 and the new Plat would make sense as gold seems to be the largest group. It would stink for Gold's who flew their miles, but I guess that's the price the airline has to pay for manufacturing so many.
i as a gp who flew 60k pref miles support fast tracks to a certain extent after all a fast track got us hooked to us airways big time!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by carl92103
United does Global Services and First class and then zone 1. The lines are also very long at United. I was on a 777 and there was over a 100 people in zone 1.
Yes. If you are FC on UA, your boarding pass does not have a zone number on it (I am guessing the same is true if you're UGS). As such, UA always does a FC and UGS only pre-board and they enforce it --- if you don't have an FC or UGS boarding pass you get told to wait your turn and asked to step aside -- I've seen it happen on UA many times. Then UA begins with Zone 1 (which can be large); Zone 2, etc. I'm not saying the UA system is perfect, but it is better than US. US just needs to bring back an F pre-board where you must be holding an F boarding pass to board and then go by zone. Alternatively, the making Zone 1 CP and F ONLY (and enforcing that), as suggested by another poster, sounds o.k. too.

The need for a re-vamped boarding system is doubly true on TA flights. As it currently stands there's no Envoy Class pre-board --- it's the same Zone 1 and 2 all at once thing. This seems like a pretty easy (a/k/a it's not going to cost much money, if any) problem to fix.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
Yes. If you are FC on UA, your boarding pass does not have a zone number on it (I am guessing the same is true if you're UGS). As such, UA always does a FC and UGS only pre-board and they enforce it --- if you don't have an FC or UGS boarding pass you get told to wait your turn and asked to step aside -- I've seen it happen on UA many times. Then UA begins with Zone 1 (which can be large); Zone 2, etc. I'm not saying the UA system is perfect, but it is better than US. US just needs to bring back an F pre-board where you must be holding an F boarding pass to board and then go by zone. Alternatively, the making Zone 1 CP and F ONLY (and enforcing that), as suggested by another poster, sounds o.k. too.

The need for a re-vamped boarding system is doubly true on TA flights. As it currently stands there's no Envoy Class pre-board --- it's the same Zone 1 and 2 all at once thing. This seems like a pretty easy (a/k/a it's not going to cost much money, if any) problem to fix.

I believe that will happen when they adopt the HP boarding... F will be first.. then Zone 1..etc....
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
i as a gp who flew 60k pref miles support fast tracks to a certain extent after all a fast track got us hooked to us airways big time!
Then in the suggestion being discussed, you would board in zone 2. Just as you would on UA. (though UA calls it zone 1, it actually boards second.)
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I am so tired of "zone one, zone 2" immediately. If i would fly once a year but own a US credit card I would be one of th 90% of the plane in 2. Keep it F, then 1, THEN 2 I feel! You should board at ABE, it is a little place, but US has 319 service once daily out of there. I was in line, f, and some guy in front of me had ZONE 4! The ga left him past and smiled!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
That would not work, because Zone 1 is ALL STAR GOLD, and ALL STAR GOLD will include CP,PP, and GP. Zone 2 will be SP and DM Mastercard, and DM Visa
Dude,
This is a hypothetical discussion...
Anything would work.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat

Yes! Yes! Yes!
(times infininity!)
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Yes! Yes! Yes!
(times infininity!)
Sounds an awful lot like that diner scene in that Harry and Sally movie....
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:48 am

Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHA900 AU-MIC-A900/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Then in the suggestion being discussed, you would board in zone 2. Just as you would on UA. (though UA calls it zone 1, it actually boards second.)
no gp deserves z1 because its *G
Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott PlatPremier, US Air Chairmans, United Prem Exec
How many "pseudo-elites" did the summer promo's generate? Seems like everyone was a US2 from what I could see.
I think the problem is two-fold. First is the problem of status matching that all the airline and hotel chains seem to do nowadays. It seems that just about everyone is elite. I remember taking a flight on America West from San Francisco to Phoenix and - I'm not kidding - 80% of the people on the plane had some sort of elite status. Unless you're Chairman the status is practically worthless, other than the bonus miles you get.

The second problem is limited bin space. I've noticed this more on the older planes. Even in first class they fill up quickly. So you get the crowding in the boarding area as a result.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Excellent reasoned argument against what seems to be the consensus.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.

If the goal is to have smaller boarding groups than why does GP deserve zone 1. There are now 2 tiers above GP. However the biggest problem is not who is in each zone, the problem is GA's calling zone 1 and 2 at the same time and not enforcing it. Ive seen many people in zone 3 or 4 boarding with zone 1 and 2.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ontheroadps
The second problem is limited bin space. I've noticed this more on the older planes. Even in first class they fill up quickly. So you get the crowding in the boarding area as a result.
I'm not so sure about worthless - this past week I bothered to look at the manifests and noticed that on 3/4 flights I was the only US1. There were several US2/3's and even a few US4s. Probably at peak times on peak days you are absolutely correct, though.

Perhaps if airlines fixed baggage issues and delvery times people would carry on less. Depending on the number of elites, they could also sell >1 carry on (inclusive of a personal item) and make it a free perk to elites. Alternately, they could adopt an LH intra-Europe policy that limits carry ons by weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.