Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprised at the size of Zone 1 boarding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Doesn't matter - the observation I had was that about 1/3rd of the plane was *G or higher. If that's true on a Monday afternoon flight, it is likely worse on Monday AM and Thursday PM.
Monday mornings are truly awful. On yesterday's CLT-LGA, the GAs were talking about how there were 18 CPs on the flite (with at least six in the back). I counted about 25 to 30 boarding in Zone 1.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:54 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
Well said. UA's system is excellent: A traditional first class pre-board (that is enforced) and then a (generally) orderly Zone 1, Zone 2 and so on boarding process.

If US is adopting the HP pre-board for "F" then kudos to US. I agree 100% with EnvoyBoy, however, that the system will only be effective if the policy is enforced.

I still fear the credit card holders.. they are going to flock to the Zone 1/Group 1 and we are going to be screwed... I think dividing Zone 1 to Preferreds and *GOLD and then Zone 2 to *Silver and credit card holders
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL, US
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
I still fear the credit card holders.. they are going to flock to the Zone 1/Group 1 and we are going to be screwed... I think dividing Zone 1 to Preferreds and *GOLD and then Zone 2 to *Silver and credit card holders
zone 2 is already for BOA cc holders and silvers. the problem is how US likes to board zone 1 and 2 at the same time.l
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:18 pm

How does the reservation/ticketing system recognize you as a BoA/Juniper card holder? Is your DM account flagged as a cardholder and therefore your boarding pass gets a Zone 2 on it? Or does your boarding pass have it's regular zone on it and you just show your credit card to the agent collecting the tickets?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
Originally Posted by sdlevi27
How does the reservation/ticketing system recognize you as a BoA/Juniper card holder?
I believe it's because the ticket must be purchased with the card and that info is then automatically included when boarding pass is printed.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I have been on AWA flights that have been so full of Gold/Silver/Plat's that they have just said they will board by row numbers. I have also boarded with about 3/4th's the plane being in Zone 1, it is great!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:00 pm

Today is my second trip on US this year (as I've said, it's EXP first this year.) and I'm SHOCKED at the number of people in zone 1 boarding as well as at the absolute CRUSH of people at the gate. Ex-PHL, AA boarding is usually quite orderly and the F/EXP/PLT group (about the same as US' Zone 1 from what I gather) is much smaller, even on the Monday AM flights.

My flight today is a PHL-RDU afternoon flight (the first mainline of the day) and Zone 1 must have been 25 people deep. How many "pseudo-elites" did the summer promo's generate? Seems like everyone was a US2 from what I could see.

Also, as a side note, how is it that WN can keep adding 73's PHL-RDU and filling them while US shrinks to nearly all RJs?

Hey McFlyPHL! Seems that you were unable to find info, about last years numerous promotions to earn CP, GP, and SP status. Thats quite shocking given today's modern technology! SHOCKING! But thats ok, Ill give youa couple of sites:

www.google.com, www.yahoo.com, www.dogpile.com, www.msn.com

You can also use the search feature on usairways.com, americawest.com and flyertalk.com!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Hey McFlyPHL! Seems that you were unable to find info, about last years numerous promotions to earn CP, GP, and SP status. Thats quite shocking given today's modern technology! SHOCKING! But thats ok, Ill give youa couple of sites:
You may want to read my posts. The point of the discussion is how promos like 6689 and their ilk have crowded the "preferred" zones, whereas the same thing doesn't happen on other airlines. It actually makes pretty decent sense, in light of this, that they'd want to thin the ranks a little bit.

but thanks for the tip. really.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
So maybe I'm missing something...which I've been known to do! But I know computers are pretty damn smart along with most people that operate them...so the change can't be that hard to fix. But then I have to remember we're dealing with an airline here that has a tradition of doing everything over-budget, providing 12 layers of red-tape, and coming in under expectations. But what would be the harm in a system such as this:

Special Assistance Pre-Boarding
Zone 1: Any CP / GP
Zone 2: Any SP / Paid First Class
Zone 3: Credit Card Holders, Gimme crap, and give-aways
Zones 4 - 9: The Coach Boarding Process
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:07 pm

You may want to read my posts. The point of the discussion is how promos like 6689 and their ilk have crowded the "preferred" zones, whereas the same thing doesn't happen on other airlines. It actually makes pretty decent sense, in light of this, that they'd want to thin the ranks a little bit.

but thanks for the tip. really.
Well, thats an improvement, you now can streamline your efficiency, by utilizing the search engines. Good Job by learning to use search engines...

... SHOCKING
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
But what would be the harm in a system such as this:

Special Assistance Pre-Boarding
Zone 1: Any CP / GP
Zone 2: Any SP / Paid First Class
Zone 3: Credit Card Holders, Gimme crap, and give-aways
Zones 4 - 9: The Coach Boarding Process
Wonderful!
Only thing I would change is to make Zone 1 CP and Paid First Class and Zone 2 GP and SP.
I could live with it either way though.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by orfflyer
Wonderful!
Only thing I would change is to make Zone 1 CP and Paid First Class and Zone 2 GP and SP.
I think you'd have a tough time explaining to paid F why they board second.... and they would have a legitimate beef. Definitely agree with your changes.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I think you'd have a tough time explaining to paid F why they board second.... and they would have a legitimate beef. Definitely agree with your changes.
THANK you!

If anything, paid FC should go the way of UA: boarding before elites (unless they've UG into FC, by whatever means get them there).
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I fly usually on the weekends (usually a nearly empty FC section on Saturday mornings) and have been stunned by the amount of Zone 1 passengers on flights during the week. I think some of it might be just that business travelers who fly a lot are most of the clientele then.

UA FC pre-boarding is great but try Ted, which is all coach- even Zone 1s are in E- rather than E+.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by orfflyer
Wonderful!
That would not work, because Zone 1 is ALL STAR GOLD, and ALL STAR GOLD will include CP,PP, and GP. Zone 2 will be SP and DM Mastercard, and DM Visa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.