FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   New LGW-LAS Route? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/535643-new-lgw-las-route.html)

FlyerTalker7654 Mar 11, 2006 9:06 am

New LGW-LAS Route?

Hi all,

I've got a couple of friends who work for US Air out in Charlotte, who have said there is talk of a direct flight from London, UK, to Las Vegas?

Anyone else heard of this possible future route?

Cheers....

RICflyer Mar 11, 2006 9:32 am

According to Scott Kirby no flights from the west coast: "US Air Senior Vice President Scott Kirby said the airline plans to add more European flights in 2007 and 2008 but not from Phoenix or Vegas because it does not have long-haul planes that can fly directly to Western or Eastern Europe or Asia."

Here is a link

Hunterton Mar 11, 2006 9:43 am

It wouldnt surprise me that US wants to do this route. Could a A333 do this route? According to airliners.net the A333 w/ P&W engines has a range of 4550miles. According to great circle mapper its 4565miles to LAS from LGW. They need the A332 or A350 to do this. I can see LAS-CLT-LGW. Can a 767-200ER do LAS-LGW?

In my opinion US needs the A332, or a 763ER. If this were going to be a route expect it to be weekends only or a Mon, Wed, Fri, flights.

jcooke Mar 11, 2006 9:49 am

They have it now, flight 99. This is a direct flight, not a non-stop flight. Its a 330 on the overwater segment, 757 on the transcon.

-JC

FlyerTalker7654 Mar 11, 2006 10:15 am

interesting because I would have thought that the A330 could have covered it.....in fact I could be wrong, but don't BMI use the A330 direct from Manchester??

Again, Virgin & BMI do the route from Thurs & Sun so they should look into it, would help the people heading out to the West Coast?

The _Banking_Scot Mar 11, 2006 11:29 am

Hi,

Actually, virgin do the route daily from May 2006 ( currently 6* weekly)

Bmi do the route twice weekly.

Regards

TBS

dukeman Mar 11, 2006 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
interesting because I would have thought that the A330 could have covered it.....in fact I could be wrong, but don't BMI use the A330 direct from Manchester??

Again, Virgin & BMI do the route from Thurs & Sun so they should look into it, would help the people heading out to the West Coast?

The 330-200 can make the trip from MAN or LGW to LAS. According to airliners.net the 200 series can travel 6400nm. US currently only has A330-300's. BMI has the 200 series. And VS uses an A340.

FCYTravis Mar 11, 2006 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by jcooke
They have it now, flight 99. This is a direct flight, not a non-stop flight. Its a 330 on the overwater segment, 757 on the transcon.

Which means it's not really a direct flight except in the delusional minds of airline schedule planners. Direct service traditionally means you don't have to change planes. That US Airways joke of "direct service" is just that, a joke. It's connecting service with the same flight number.

dukeman Mar 11, 2006 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
That US Airways joke of "direct service" is just that, a joke. It's connecting service with the same flight number.

It's not just US. I flew UA PHL-ORD-NRT-BKK and return last week. My PHL-ORD and ORD-NRT flights had the same flight number (733 and 777). I received mileage as if I flew PHL-NRT. Before FTers call me a heathen... this was preferable to my other option which was to take the other ORD-NRT flight which coincidentally shares the same flight number as NRT-BKK (would have cost me more in miles). Same thing on the return. And even though UA flies a 744 ORD-NRT and NRT-BKK it was a different 744. Many airlines do this, not just US. They do this so that it shows up first when using various booking engines because it appears to be a direct flight.....You'll note that most US TA flights share a number with another flight usually on the West Coast. It's US way of competing with airlines that offer true non-stop service.

warbo Mar 11, 2006 7:45 pm

Exactly, dukeman. It is not a 'US Airways joke' at all, nor is it part of any airline planners' "delusional minds" as per FCYTravis. Anyone who understands how flights are marketed knows that some are sold as 'direct', with the same flight number, even if it involves a change of aircraft. It's a marketing tool, not an operational one. It merely enables an airline to point out to a travel agent via their system that they also fly the same route as their competitor(s), albeit with a chage en-route. There is no deception here. All airlines do it.

At Res, we often get passengers calling in a rage because they have been sold what they consider a non-stop flight. 99.9% of the time this is because travel agents have erroneously told them "that flight is non-stop", or "It's just a touchdown in PHL, you can stay on the same plane..." Both of which are nonsense.

The reason for their dissatisfaction is purely that travel agents have not correctly informed them. When travel agents book these flights, they immediately get a message along the lines of "Warning: Change of aircraft in PHL: must inform passengers." If they don't notice this, or choose to ignore it to get a sale, they are to blame entirely.

FCYTravis Mar 11, 2006 8:10 pm

Call it what you will. I think it's patently stupid to market a flight as "direct" when it's *not* - make all the excuses you want, but it's essentially deceptive.

That "dissatisfaction" and confusion would not happen if airlines simply loaded connecting flights into their systems and didn't pretend these flights are something they aren't.

FlyerTalker7654 Mar 12, 2006 12:56 am

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Call it what you will. I think it's patently stupid to market a flight as "direct" when it's *not* - make all the excuses you want, but it's essentially deceptive.

That "dissatisfaction" and confusion would not happen if airlines simply loaded connecting flights into their systems and didn't pretend these flights are something they aren't.

Although I agree with Travis about the whole direct thing, fact is, everyone knows with US Air that they most of their flights are connecting. Also, if you book your flights online, that will generally show you that you have a stop over. As warbo says, your travel agent is mugging you off because he should know better!!!

SkyTeam777 Mar 12, 2006 4:15 am

Originally Posted by RICflyer
According to Scott Kirby no flights from the west coast: "US Air Senior Vice President Scott Kirby said the airline plans to add more European flights in 2007 and 2008 but not from Phoenix or Vegas because it does not have long-haul planes that can fly directly to Western or Eastern Europe or Asia."

Here is a link

Wonder if the plans include more international long hauls from CLT!

MJonTravel Mar 12, 2006 7:27 am

I could envision CLT-CDG coming back at some point... but I'd guess that's about it. I wonder how LH's CLT-MUC service is doing? I'd bet they sell plenty of seats due to Star connections and I believe there to be a good bit of German based businesses with US operations around CLT.

Mrp Alert Mar 15, 2006 2:05 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Actually, virgin do the route daily from May 2006 ( currently 6* weekly)

Bmi do the route twice weekly.

BMI Las Vegas - Manchester to become 3 flights a week (Tue/Thu/Sun) –
March 26 (www.flybmi.com)

BMI & VS are HP partners and are/will be US partners. As such, LAS<->UK seems highly unlikely.