Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
I guess the LCC with a difference won't be that different after all.
You hit that right in the head. Why don't they just get it over with and paint the planes mustard with red bellies.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by sassamanlaw
You hit that right in the head. Why don't they just get it over with and paint the planes mustard with red bellies.
They don't paint 'em baby poop brown any more. They are now tidy bowl blue.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat
My 2 cents:

* I just made Gold, so the cut to 50% bonus is really irritating.
* The crowd of people heading to Europe on US, UA, and LH just grew by a lot, and the other *A FFs are the ones that are going to be hurting, since I don't think anyone is adding flights to Europe to accomodate more FFs.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:20 pm

Upgrade

Why is everyone being so negative, including with the threats about walking to other airlines? Does everyone realize that the new US Airways has the best elite program and upgrade policy of any airline, especially compared to United?

CHP can clear anytime in advance on US/HP on full Coach fares, or w/in 7 days before departure on other Coach fareswhich is better than any other airline.

Platinum get the same on full-fare, and on other Coach can clear 4 days before departure.

Gold get the same on full-fare, but on other Coach can clear 3 days before departure.

Silver -- also the best of breed -- full fare the same, and on other Coach
can clear 2 days before departure. This is better than all other airlines.

This is most the important aspect of the new US Airways to me. I am a lowly Silver Preferred and UA Premier, and I am switching all my business over to US Airways!
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:05 pm

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Originally Posted by N93109
Why is everyone being so negative, including with the threats about walking to other airlines? Does everyone realize that the new US Airways has the best elite program and upgrade policy of any airline, especially compared to United?

CHP can clear anytime in advance on US/HP on full Coach fares, or w/in 7 days before departure on other Coach fareswhich is better than any other airline.

Platinum get the same on full-fare, and on other Coach can clear 4 days before departure.

Gold get the same on full-fare, but on other Coach can clear 3 days before departure.

This is most the important aspect of the new US Airways to me. I am a lowly Silver Preferred and UA Premier, and I am switching all my business over to US Airways!
C'mon, Parker, you run the airline and all you got was silver pref out of the deal?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Humm... Let's see. An airline recently rated the worst domestic airline sets the level of their highest Elite level at a minimum of 20% more than their competition and they want me to fly them?

Yeah…..right.
Given these changes, my US Gold will not be getting renewed. Time to plow the trips into another program and book away from US.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:35 am

Who gets * Gold Under the New Program -- Gold or Platnium?

Anyone have any idea whether Gold or Platnium in the new program (or both, ideally) will receive Star Alliance Gold status? Hopefully "new" Gold status won't be demoted to Star Alliance Silver status -- there's a world of difference (no lounge access on international itineraries, etc.).

Who's got the 411?

Regards, EWC-JMU
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by EWC-JMU
Anyone have any idea whether Gold or Platnium in the new program (or both, ideally) will receive Star Alliance Gold status? Hopefully "new" Gold status won't be demoted to Star Alliance Silver status -- there's a world of difference (no lounge access on international itineraries, etc.).

Who's got the 411?

Regards, EWC-JMU
Pulling of * Gold status for US Golds while making it a Platinum and CP benefit would be yet another indicator that US/HP's frequent flyer mileage program is a really bad deal for far more people than already evident by the disseminated revisions.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:26 pm

Programs: US lowlife
I'm going to assume that GP's will still get *G status, as they've re-vamped the Preferred benefits page and it shows *G there.

-JC
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:32 pm

Programs: US, AA
Originally Posted by N93109

Ok, I am not going to complain about upgrades (I have had good luck upgrading while traveling to SJU), but what really upset me was the reduction in the bonus miles. 25% for Silver, and 50% for Gold? I will be making it to Gold this year (the old way), and naturally, when I saw this announcement, I was chagrined. The new FF program does not make such a difference for one who travels more than 120K per year, but for other people who are borderline for any other tier, the new FF program sucks. If as GP, I get 100% bonus on other airlines, but only 50% in US, why would I fly on US?

In any case, it is not as if the service in first class is that great anyway in US (especially after US went into the second bankruptcy), in part because of the not-so-good relation between employees and management.

I am going to switch when I can. Right now, only US and NW serves my airport, and so I am stuck, but once I am out of here, I will be looking at other FF programs. The disadvantage of AA is that it is not part of *A, and that makes a big difference to me. UA is probably the best bet.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:31 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
I couldn't see them ever getting rid of Star Gold for GPs because you'd instantly see any international-flying GP bail out for UA 1P.

And those other airlines offer higher bonuses for 50k tier status, but no free upgrades - Gotta fork over.

Tradeoffs are everywhere.

Last edited by FCYTravis; Oct 7, 2005 at 1:34 pm
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jcooke
I'm going to assume that GP's will still get *G status, as they've re-vamped the Preferred benefits page and it shows *G there.

-JC

It is distincly possible that I am missing something here, but on that page, it still shows GP with a 100 percent bonus...
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:01 pm

Programs: us cp, delta gold, marriott silver, hyatt gold, starwood gold.
Yes, that is not the updated page.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:43 pm

East vs. West

My two cents:

As a very frequent business traveler over the last 10 years, I have noticed differences between the east coast business traveler and the west cost traveler. Granted, I have down-graded my butt-in-seat miles the last 18 months, but speaking anecdotally here is what I noticed over the years.

The east coast business person expects upgrades and perks more than the west coast person. I have seen this time after time. The west coast mentality is more often than not, “get me to my destination.” Maybe it’s because the run times between west coast cities is shorter, maybe it is just their expectations in life all together different. I lived out west for many years. I have done the LAX-CLT-PIT-PHL. I have also done the PHX-LAX-SEA & SFO routes too many times. Perks were just not as important in general.

On the east coast, I see more elites hang at the gate to jump up at the first sign of the doors opening to get inline and then there is the loud complaining at the gate about not getting upgraded. And this is for flights from BWI-CLT or CLT-DCI.

My point is that if the new HP/US management thinks that the west coast perks will pacify east coast travelers they made a very serious mistake. The HP FF/Elite model is not going to be acceptable to many of the experienced US travelers. And they WILL switch carriers to get what they THINK they deserve.

Ok, maybe that is more than 2 cents worth. And yes, I know many of you will think I’m all wet. Guess we will have to wait and see…or not.

Last edited by MikeM6090; Oct 7, 2005 at 2:46 pm
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jaymay
It is distincly possible that I am missing something here, but on that page, it still shows GP with a 100 percent bonus...
It also shows just three tiers. So I tend to think its not updated.

I tend to agree with those who say that Golds will keep * Gold status. But is that a US decision or a Star Alliance decision? And is there any precedent for this? Put another way, what other * carriers have a four-tier elite system?

Regards, EWC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.