Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Oh besides the int'l upgrade cert and mileage ambiguity, companion upgrades, I have another question - will Premium Awards still be upgradable into the P bucket like before?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:16 pm

Time to Email

Judging from the comments in this thread, it sounds like the majority of the elites are NOT happy about some of the changes to the new program. I'm not thrilled about the 120 CP Segment qualification criteria and the lack of flexibility in the award program (e.g., no more 20 k awards - no thought/mention of offering one way awards ala Alaska Airlines). Let's face it, the FF program should ATTRACT flyers - not send them to other carriers.

In the prior company email to elites, an email address was provided - and we were asked for patience and understanding about bumps in the road as the new entity unfolds. Am going to assume that these program details are not all set in stone and that if enough of the people that keep this new airline flying voice their opinion, perhaps some of the bumps in the road will be ironed out. I plan on using that email address.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:21 pm

Any hints about mileage carryover?

So far the new U has stripped powerports & devalued FF grades. Here's a chance to not screw up totally by continuing the carryover.

AA is looking better and better.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
I was hoping that the 75K tier would include what is currently CP desk access. That would mitigate some of the other negatives for me since i am within striking distance of "Platinum" and will probably be about the same next year ~75K.

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that hitting 75K this year gets you bupkas if you are currently in US dividend miles as opposed to flight funders who get CP until Feb. Or am I reading this wrong...
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Humm... Let's see. An airline recently rated the worst domestic airline sets the level of their highest Elite level at a minimum of 20% more than their competition and they want me to fly them?

Yeah…..right.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:48 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Humm... Let's see. An airline recently rated the worst domestic airline sets the level of their highest Elite level at a minimum of 20% more than their competition and they want me to fly them?

Yeah…..right.
Yeah, I keep looking longingly at my UA 2P card, and thinking that it's going to be a 1P card before the end of the year if I do enough Star mileage. And knowing that it's in E+. And real service in domestic F. And so forth.

In essence, Gold is even more useless to me (flying a bunch between/from areas with large concentrations of not-quite-CP type golds currently)--the addition of the extra level means that I might as well toss all that goodness at UA.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by PHLDividends
Don't know if anyone else has been wondering, but I called the GP desk and got an answer to the question that was bothering me -- whether you will need 120 segments this year for CP or just 100, like in the past. According to GP desk, "the merger is effective November 15, so if you're already working towards 100 segments this year and get 100 by the end of the year, CP will be good through Feb. 2007." But to qualify through Feb. 2008, you'd have to get 120 segments next year. Nice to get an easy answer from customer service!
I don't know. The US web site says...
"A new Preferred Program with four membership levels will debut in Spring 2006 with more benefits to be announced soon. When we launch the new program, we will be awarding status based on the combined elite qualification miles and segments you earn in 2005 in both programs to provide you with the highest staus possible. "

To me this says if you are currently a CP and do 100 segments in 2005, you will be a Plat come March 1st.

But if you were a GP and just qualified as a CP (promo or normal way) and your card now says good until 2007 you may be OK.

Too confusing now, too many unknowns.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by zsmith2
I looked at the US club section and it looked like all elite members will pay the same amount of $300.
The Q&A says the new pricing is effective 10/5...but the web site has them already loaded. Same old crap of saying one thing and doing another.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I assume that if I'm already ticketed for a US flight after Oct 5 and my UA number remains in the reservation, I won't get UA credit?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by chuck till
I assume that if I'm already ticketed for a US flight after Oct 5 and my UA number remains in the reservation, I won't get UA credit?
You will, unless it's actually an HP flight.

See here : "At this point, United Mileage Plus members are not able to earn or redeem miles on flight segments operated by America West."

Last edited by shell nyc; Sep 26, 2005 at 8:45 pm Reason: added link
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Yeah, I keep looking longingly at my UA 2P card, and thinking that it's going to be a 1P card before the end of the year if I do enough Star mileage. And knowing that it's in E+. And real service in domestic F. And so forth.
And you'll get a 100% mileage bonus as a PremEx!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
The more I read and the more I think about this, it seems that gold (which I'll most likely be after feb 07) is relegated to basically Silver and that silver is basically worthless. Having plats just means that one more group will clear before golds... I could understand having a plat level during the transition but are there any other programs with 4 levels?
I didn't think about the upgrade angle. Man, Golds and Silver are really getting screwed in this deal. A 50% reduction and decreased upgrade opportunities.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA
Who can be happy... there are actually no advantages to Preferred members with the merger - other than access to America West flights. I will look forward for some improvements to the new program before the new year kick-in or I think they will become a low-cost low-service airline (isn't that what they want?), by the end of the year.

I know that right now that as a PremEx I earn 100% bonus also on US flights, but wait till january when UA programs are updated... Competition is too heavy for US to send their own 50k frequent flyers to UA. There will definitely be an adjustement there.

Some of the improvements I would welcome: (I hope US is listening)
- 125% mileage bonus for CP
- Bring back the free US-Club membership for CPs
- 2 SWUs for PPs, 2 SWUs for CPs with 2 more for each 25k on US every year.
- 50% dicounted companion awards for GP/PP/CP

What about a mileage bonus on AC? I know it's not just up to US to decide that but since AC own part of the new airline, that's something I can conceive.

I hope UA will bring a double EQM promotion by the end of the year so I can achieve 1K (I am at 60k with them right now); one of the reason I went with US also was for the lower awards and better availability than UA, and because only US fly to my home base.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:33 pm

Programs: US CP, *Gold, AA Peon
Gosh, after reading US's email today and seeing the above posts, I feel like I just ran through a cornfield backwards naked

This mostly comes from just qualifying to be a GP thanks to US's elite promo. GPs look to get hit the hardest. Heck, even while SP took cuts they at least get upgrades 2 days out instead of 1. I don't think GP gained anything (As of yet anyways).

From my perspective, I'm going to hold out and see if US holds true to their promise of a new award program in spring 2006. Perhaps it will be as wondrous as all of the anniversary promos they offered to us this year (smirk).

One of the CP perks could be that you get upgraded to pilot every now and then. Just think... this is one heck of an upgrade and US will save money by cutting back on crew. GP's will prolly have the lavatory seat (yes, inside the lavatory) set aside as a preffered customer

Okay okay... enough poking fun/venting. I've really thought about many of the changes and what my other options could be. As it stands now, I'm going to ride out my GP status through 2006. At the end of the year, if I don't like the new prog. I'm off to United or growing wings. Although, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will have faith in HP.

- GH

(PS... anyone know how to shuck corn?)
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by frankytalia
There will definitely be an adjustement there.

Some of the improvements I would welcome: (I hope US is listening)
- 125% mileage bonus for CP
- Bring back the free US-Club membership for CPs
- 2 SWUs for PPs, 2 SWUs for CPs with 2 more for each 25k on US every year.
- 50% dicounted companion awards for GP/PP/CP
While I hope you're right, I have to say don't hold your breath. This is HP's decision and once they're in cheap mode there's no going back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.