US elites getting access to E+ on United - please enlighten me

Old Sep 26, 05, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
US elites getting access to E+ on United - please enlighten me

I am a US CP and about to make my first trip on United in about 5 years. I am confused about how our access to getting E+ seats works. I made the reservation through our corporate travel office and then called the CP desk to see if they could help me. They said they couldn't help - I would have to call United. I called United and spoke to someone in some foreign country. I asked for an E+ seat, and she said I would have to ask at the airport to see if it was available.

This afternoon I am flying RDU to ORD, ORD to SAT, and then returning Wed. Three of the legs are on Canadair jets, and I figured they did not have E+ seats, but one of the legs is a 737. Well, when I checked in online last night, the web site offered me E+ upgrades on today's two legs on Canadair jets for $58 total. Not knowing how likely it would be that I would be given free upgrades to these seats at the airport, I decided to take their offer.

So, for my trip home on Wed, am I likely to get free E+ if I wait and ask at the airport? Please straighten me out if you can.

Thanks!

P.S. Is there really E+ on the Canadair, or is this a United ruse to extract more money out of me??!!
Old Sep 26, 05, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by RDU-Man
I am a US CP and about to make my first trip on United in about 5 years. I am confused about how our access to getting E+ seats works. I made the reservation through our corporate travel office and then called the CP desk to see if they could help me. They said they couldn't help - I would have to call United. I called United and spoke to someone in some foreign country. I asked for an E+ seat, and she said I would have to ask at the airport to see if it was available.

This afternoon I am flying RDU to ORD, ORD to SAT, and then returning Wed. Three of the legs are on Canadair jets, and I figured they did not have E+ seats, but one of the legs is a 737. Well, when I checked in online last night, the web site offered me E+ upgrades on today's two legs on Canadair jets for $58 total. Not knowing how likely it would be that I would be given free upgrades to these seats at the airport, I decided to take their offer.

So, for my trip home on Wed, am I likely to get free E+ if I wait and ask at the airport? Please straighten me out if you can.

Thanks!

P.S. Is there really E+ on the Canadair, or is this a United ruse to extract more money out of me??!!
Call me lucky to have gotten an American last time I called UA, but you *should* have gotten E+ as a US elite when you called. I'd say play agent roulette and try again? Also shouldn't be a problem for them to do it at the airport, but why take the chance.

And yes, there is E+ on the Regional Jets--usually back to the exit row.
Old Sep 26, 05, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by goheelswks

And yes, there is E+ on the Regional Jets--usually back to the exit row.
Only on the CR7 and E70's.
Old Sep 26, 05, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
As a US premier you are entitled to an E+ seat (for free!). You probably got a UA phone rep from their call center in India - many complaints about them on the UA board. The best strategy for this is to call, call, and call again until you get a UA agent that knows the rules.

Don't know if its too late to get a refund on your E+ buy up...
Old Sep 26, 05, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 2P (former 1P)
I have flown ORD-SAT several times this year. Generally there are light loads on this 737. I don't think you should have a problem getting an E+ seat at the gate, and you might also be able to buy some 500 milers if you are so inclined, as the F upgrade shouldn't be hard to get either.

It sounds your return leg is on the evening Skywest UAX flight. It does have E+ and F, but both are not the same as mainline. May I suggest you standby for the earlier 737 instead
Old Sep 26, 05, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS 4.8MM, Delta 1MM & Hilton Diamond, Hertz Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Eric702
I have flown ORD-SAT several times this year. Generally there are light loads on this 737. I don't think you should have a problem getting an E+ seat at the gate, and you might also be able to buy some 500 milers if you are so inclined, as the F upgrade shouldn't be hard to get either.

It sounds your return leg is on the evening Skywest UAX flight. It does have E+ and F, but both are not the same as mainline. May I suggest you standby for the earlier 737 instead

If your return skywest flight is on a EMB170, I would take that in E+ or F over a UA 737 anyday.
Old Sep 26, 05, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 2P (former 1P)
Originally Posted by zambonisk
If your return skywest flight is on a EMB170, I would take that in E+ or F over a UA 737 anyday.
Skywest does not fly the EMB170. The flight in question here is a CR7 .

Edited to add:
I would still take the 737 over a CR7.

Last edited by Eric702; Sep 26, 05 at 11:17 am
Old Sep 27, 05, 7:40 am
Original Poster

thanks everyone!

I'll head out to the airport tomorrow morning and ask for my FREE E+ upgrade on the return flights. The rides last night were pretty decent for a regional jet. Those extra few inches of leg room make a difference. Now if they could just make the armrests a couple of inches wider and softer (am I the only one whose forearms/elbows get sore after about an hour in those RJ seats?
Old Sep 28, 05, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

it worked this time

I went to the United First Class check in counter cause I did not have boarding pass yet. The agent helped me with their kiosk, which promptly offered me the $58 upgrade again. I said "Don't US Preferreds get this for free?", and she said, "Hmmm, I'll have to see what I can do". I handed her what I thought was my CP card and she gave me a funny look but kept typing on her keyboard. After a minute, I realized that I had given her my USAirways Club card (note to US - these need to look more different!), so I handed her the right card, she typed some more, and handed over my E+ boarding passes.

Had a 319 from SAT to ORD - pretty comfortable, and I appreciated the headset with audio. They also played a movie, but it was some dumb Ashton Kutcher (sp?) chick flick so I opted for my book instead. Back onto the Canadair for the ride from ORD to RDU, but only half full, so the narrower seats were just fine as I had nobody next to me.

Overall opinion of United E+, pretty decent. Nice attitudes from the staff. I'll definitely keep them in mind for places that USAirways doesn't go.

Search this Thread