FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   codeshare scenario (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/476268-codeshare-scenario.html)

chowder Sep 25, 2005 8:40 pm

codeshare scenario

UA website
US website

Hi-
Links show the exact same flight, dates (trust me), times. The only difference is: ticketing via UA website (codeshare on US metal) yields lower price than ticketing via US website.
I have US status (GP ~ CP); no status on UA.
Uncharted territory for me, so double-checking with FT gurus:
If I book/buy on UA, applying my DM# (not my MP#), then call DM to get listed (presuming that step is right):
1. can I upgrade as usual (in the US-sense)
2. what differences (to the US routine I'm used to) might/will I encounter (e.g. companion policies, etc)
Thanks.

shell nyc Sep 25, 2005 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by chowder
If I book/buy on UA, applying my DM# (not my MP#), then call DM to get listed (presuming that step is right):
1. can I upgrade as usual (in the US-sense)

When flying on a UA ticket/US metal as a US preferred, you cannot upgrade in advance at your 7/3/1 day window. You can, however, upgrade as usual at the airport.

2. what differences (to the US routine I'm used to) might/will I encounter (e.g. companion policies, etc)
Thanks.

As far as I know the only two differences are 1) no advance upgrade (see above) and 2) no fee for same day standby.

chowder Sep 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by shell nyc
When flying on a UA ticket/US metal as a US preferred, you cannot upgrade in advance at your 7/3/1 day window. You can, however, upgrade as usual at the airport.

Thanks for the heads up.
Is the practical effect then that my >SP status becomes <SP? That doesn't sound so good for me and my companion.

Arrzee Sep 26, 2005 7:29 am

Thanks for the heads up.
Is the practical effect then that my >SP status becomes <SP? That doesn't sound so good for me and my companion.

This should be a no brainer...

Since your SP, you wouldn't upgrade until the 24-hrs prior if it were booked as a US flight (if there's availability). If you book it as a UA flight, you can't upgrade until day of departure. Not much of a difference...

Personally, I'd save the $200 bucks and take a gamble at the gate.

chowder Sep 26, 2005 8:48 am

Since your SP
Actually, I'm one of these GP-going-on-CP folks. So it seems that booking via UA, while saving $ (no small factor), makes me (and my companion) effectively lower-than-SP, when I am in fact higher-than-SP.
PS - nice to see yet another person from DE here

shell nyc Sep 26, 2005 9:18 am

Actually, I'm one of these GP-going-on-CP folks. So it seems that booking via UA, while saving $ (no small factor), makes me (and my companion) effectively lower-than-SP, when I am in fact higher-than-SP.

I wouldn't agree that it makes you lower-than-SP when it comes to upgrades. This is one of those instances where the shrinking E bucket comes in handy. Let's say half of the F cabin is available for advance upgrades. That leaves the remaining seats for day of departure upgrade. On day of departure, the upgrade queue is still arranged by status and time of checkin, therefore putting you and your companion above all of those pesky Silvers. ;)

chowder Sep 26, 2005 9:56 am

:) touché

kinglobjaw Sep 26, 2005 12:25 pm

Actually even though Im going up against everyone who posted here listen to this. CHICAGO-CLT-BUFFALO-PHL-ORD (weekend trip) same flights on usairways.com for 674 while united.com for 105.80. I never bought from United. Im silver (soon gold) on usairways. So after I booked with united, i call us airways since its all us airways metal. I give them the fligths and they locate me and give me a us airways specific record locator. Next i ask to put me on upgrade q. So the lady tells me Im on the upgrade q and if available i will be upgraded to F cabin. and she knew i bought from united. Just to make sure she wasnt confused i called 2 more times, and they told me im in the upgrade Q. So i save 500 dollars and I do get in the upgrade Q. Perfecto :D

Arrzee Sep 26, 2005 1:20 pm

I don't mean to steer you one way or the other, but it might help to answer this question... would you be upset or disappointed if you spent an additional $200 and don't get the upgrade in your window but have to do the upgrade dance at the gate anyway?

Frankly, with the way US has been managing upgrade inventory lately, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if all upgrades are cleared at the gate (especially on the transcon portion)... Just a thought....

Thanks!