Co-Terminal Standby Procedures

Old Sep 23, 05, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Co-Terminal Standby Procedures

I prefer to fly into DCA as opposed to BWI for many reasons, one being I can get home via the subway and a short cab ride for about $20 as oppsed to a $120 cab ride from BWI. For an upcoming trip r/t CLT-DCA is about 950.00 (B-Fare) and r/t CLT-BWI is 133.00 (T-Fare). If I booked the trip to BWI can I standby to DCA since US Airways considers it the same destination per the ticket rules? On the return if the flight looks open can I go to DCA instead of BWI to attempt to standby from DCA? Thanks!!
Old Sep 23, 05, 1:24 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't see why you couldn't. BUT, there have been reports of agents refusing to do so without additional fare collection, plus change fee IIRC.
Old Sep 23, 05, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
US will NOT allow you to standby for a flight into or out of a different airport, even if they are co-terminals. I have tried this before to no avail. Your best option is to find a sympathetic ear at either the ticket counter or the gates and they may be willing to work a little magic for you. In the past I've only been able to make this work during weather / maintenance issues or by calling in a favor.
Old Sep 23, 05, 4:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The previous posters are right; even though US technically allows standby to a co-terminal, you pretty much can't do it successfully on US:

1. Check your fare rules; make sure that under the co-terminals section, DCA-BWI are listed.

2. Make sure that the fare you have is to "WAS-All Airports" (I think that's what the fare rules should say at the top of the page- not to BWI.

3. Make sure that the fare is valid on the flight you want to get on.

4. Call US Airways reservations and have it noted in your itinerary that you can fly to DCA.

5. Take your printed fare rules and boarding pass to the ticket counter. If you are denied what you want, just politely ask to speak with a supervisor.

Better strategy: fly UA or another airline. Very few US ticket agents know the co-terminal standby rules, and even fewer will comply with them. I now fly UA on my frequent commutes to NYC because its co-terminal standby procedures are clearer in the fare rules.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Sep 23, 05 at 4:49 pm

Search this Thread