FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   New tray-table "enhancement" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/475081-new-tray-table-enhancement.html)

mersk862 Sep 21, 2005 7:30 pm

New tray-table "enhancement"

Brought to you by the same folks that have already removed Powerports from A32X planes, we'll now be greeted with ads on the tray-tables on planes.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/9/prweb287354.htm

And the "enhancements" continue to roll in...

EricH Sep 21, 2005 7:44 pm

This may be good. They may have to promise to keep the tray tables clean to enhance legibility. That would be a change.

uva185 Sep 21, 2005 7:47 pm

Next thing you know the safety video will have commercials.

zsmith2 Sep 21, 2005 7:49 pm

It doesn't bother me at all. I think it is a plus for two reasons: 1) it brings more money to the airline and 2) it gives me something to look at instead of a blah color try :)

bwelliott Sep 21, 2005 7:56 pm

A new target

Originally Posted by zsmith2
It doesn't bother me at all. I think it is a plus for two reasons: 1) it brings more money to the airline and 2) it gives me something to look at instead of a blah color try :)

It also provides a new target for the ink pen marks.

sts603 Sep 21, 2005 8:00 pm

Yeah especially when we don't like what they're advertising....

you know - if it keeps fares low, this isnt really that bad as long as they aren't too obnoxious looking

PhxFlyGuy Sep 21, 2005 8:05 pm

This is no surprise. The tray table concept has been around at America West for some time now. What is the big deal? It does bring in additional revenue.

gof Sep 21, 2005 8:11 pm

I think some will probably hope they don't get to see the same scenery out the window from the press release though :rolleyes: I think someone needs to rethink that a bit.... :td:

sts603 Sep 21, 2005 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by gof
I think some will probably hope they don't get to see the same scenery out the window from the press release though :rolleyes: I think someone needs to rethink that a bit.... :td:

yea that's seriously morbid post 9/11

jaymay Sep 21, 2005 9:24 pm

I am just tired of seeing ads. Admittedly, I work in PR, so I see promotional material all day long, day-in and day-out. But I would just like to be able to go 20 dadgum seconds without being told to buy things. [/rant]

Anyway, just a technical question, are there ads on the back of the tables, i.e., what you see at take off and landing?

kkjay77 Sep 21, 2005 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by uva185
Next thing you know the safety video will have commercials.

It will be really funny if they had a commercial break during safety video :D

well... for maybe not.

ByrdluvsAWACO Sep 21, 2005 10:44 pm

Just to mention that the ads won't be on the F trays.

Originally Posted by jaymay
Anyway, just a technical question, are there ads on the back of the tables, i.e., what you see at take off and landing?

No just when you're using the table tray. When it's in the up position it looks like any other table tray.

Robertsonland Sep 22, 2005 1:04 am

Originally Posted by jaymay

As Byrd said, no. But HP thanks you for the idea....That's twice the number of ad space...

Personally I don't don't mind the ads on the tray tables. If someone wants to give the airlines money and it helps keep them flying and my costs down, put ads on the tray tables. I know some people think we are one step away from Nascar but in the grand scheme of things as long as they don't put commercials in the "middle" of the movies then it doesn't bother me. Heck we already paint our planes with designs for sports teams...why not get a sardine company to sponser all the CRJs and have them painted to resemble a Sardine Can? I'm sure they could make one of the 757s look like a nice big bottle of Pepsi/Coke (whichever wins the bidding war). Or maybe a package of XOXO's??? :D

Lance

cargo13 Sep 22, 2005 7:58 am

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
This is no surprise. The tray table concept has been around at America West for some time now. What is the big deal? It does bring in additional revenue.

Yea, the cheap-ening of US Airways ala America West style has begun. Next the US Airways website will be displaying the big Saab ad right at the top. This is an airline, not a car dealership.

iCorpRoadie Sep 22, 2005 9:08 am

America West already had advertisemnts on the video demo, well after it and druing flight for ColdStone Creamery and others that say 'America West is our Airline of Choice" so. . . .

coming to a seat back near you. . . . . aicCommercials!