Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New tray-table "enhancement"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:20 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Personally, advertisements don't really bother me. They are everywhere already anyway. As many others have already said, they bring in additional revenue, which should help keep fares down (and, hopefully, the airline afloat). There are actually many other avenues for advertisements onboard an aircraft (ie: overhead bins, the bulkhead walls, etc.). Heck, even the crew's uniform can be plastered with sponsors willing to pay a premium. In this day and age, it's all about bringing more revenue to cover your costs, and I am all for moves that don't jeopardize safety or customer service. Think about it, what would you rather have? A friendly FA on a clean aircraft plastered with advertisements or a rude FA on a plain, dirty aircraft? Your choice.

LAX
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:28 am

Programs: US dividend miles, Omni Select Guest, United Mplus
Advertising on tray tables is a horrible idea! Not only is it annoying, but its very unprofessional. It takes away from the flight experience, it just keeps reminding me of wal-mart! Uhhhh!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Heck we already paint our planes with designs for sports teams...why not get a sardine company to sponser all the CRJs and have them painted to resemble a Sardine Can? I'm sure they could make one of the 757s look like a nice big bottle of Pepsi/Coke (whichever wins the bidding war). Or maybe a package of XOXO's???

Lance
Here in DC, some of the subway cars have been entirely painted over on the outside with advertisements for extra revenue. McDonalds is one of the advertisers.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:18 pm

As I truly love US Airways, this is not very aesthetic, and it makes me barf when I here that this is actually going to hapen. Im truly excited about the US Airways Merger as it opens routes to the world, but some thins I just dont like! THIS IS ONE OF THEM! Im curious if they will but ads in the F cabin on trays! I have 5 more ideas on how you could possibly advertise on the airplane. I will be keeping them to myself. Lets hop the the new team is dumb enough not to figure them out.

Well folks just like the moderator of FT of the AWA portion said, we are going to have to forget about the old us airways, as this will follow the awa model.

We still got until Sep 27 to object! Anyone up for it!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by usairwaysLamb
It takes away from the flight experience, it just keeps reminding me of wal-mart! Uhhhh!
There hasn't been a "flight experience" on US since just after September 11th. Welcome to the new reality. But as the old saying goes...ya pays fer whats ya gets.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:10 pm

Programs: US lowlife
I wouldn't wish any merger or company to fail because they put ads on tray tables.

Big deal, so what if they do put em in? Most likely there will be at least one of the following items covering the ads so its a non-issue:

- Laptop (covers the entire tray)
- CD Player
- Beverage w/ napkin
- Minis
- Snacks
- Meal tray

(yeah, those last 3 depend a bit on if you ride in the back or the front of the bus )

The trays in Y are a fairly easy thing to replace as they're external. The FC trays may not be so easy to replace and I'm guessing for some type of "luxury" feeling they may want to keep them their normal off-white color.

I flew Airtran back in '04 and they had Hertz materials and other types of ads on the plane. It didn't make one bit of difference during my flight as I got from BWI-ROC safely and ontime.

-JC

Last edited by jcooke; Sep 22, 2005 at 1:12 pm
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Cool

I am ROTFLMAO at the people that believe ads on the tray tables (only when they are lowered) are somehow cheapening your "flight experience!"

When's the last time you had a truly pampered flight in First? Certainly wasn't on any domestic carrier.

Frankly I forgot HP was doing this until a couple of months ago. They are unobtrusive and the ads I finally noticed were for a resort in Scottsdale (No FF freebie upgrades there, figure on a $700 day spend on your stay) and one for America West vacations.

I'll complain about advertising when I see it on an int'l F flight when I am paying F class fare. How's the saying go? "Snowball's chance in....."
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I know how many of you guys feel. I was raging in the exact same way when I found out HP was going to do this a year or so ago.

However, to tell the truth I really don't notice them. They're not that obvious.

If you fly a lot of short hauls you'll only see them for the short bev service, and you'll never see them if you sit up front.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:18 pm

Ads bug me at times. I used to really look forward to Hank Williams pre-Monday Night Football tune, but this year its basically an ad for GMC trucks and it bugs me so much I now skip it. Commercials during the game, I often look forward to.

Still when I have my G&T in a glass on top of a tray table with ads, I'll have to see how much it bothers me.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Advertising on tray tables is a horrible idea! Not only is it annoying, but its very unprofessional. It takes away from the flight experience, it just keeps reminding me of wal-mart! Uhhhh!

Oh yes I too miss the "flight experience" of yesteryear. When men wore 3 piece suits and ladies were dressed in silk or satin dresses. Flight Attendants, oh excuse me, Stewardesses wore cute little hats tilted on the peak of their head. Looking oh so perky. Oh and the champagne flowed with the lobster dinners. The stewardess would come to your seat and place lovely slippers on your feet to make you feel real comfortable too. I miss those days.

"Flight experience" definition in 2005............Get me from point A to point B. Be ontime and don't loose my luggage. And don't rape me with overpriced fares. Because I have to repeat this weekly and my time and money is valuable.

Lord I love infrequent flyers.

Old Sep 22, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Originally Posted by KevAZ
When's the last time you had a truly pampered flight in First? Certainly wasn't on any domestic carrier.
United PS between SFO-JFK, beats international business on many carriers.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:32 am

Programs: US dividend miles, Omni Select Guest, United Mplus
Angry

Originally Posted by trvlr64

"Flight experience" definition in 2005............Get me from point A to point B. Be ontime and don't loose my luggage. And don't rape me with overpriced fares. Because I have to repeat this weekly and my time and money is valuable.

Lord I love infrequent flyers.

You Better Not Be Talking About Me!! Yes, there isn't much "experience" on the airplane any more, but adds on t.t.'s just seem so trashy! I fly a lot, and i know how annoying it can be. Yea everybody knows the flight attendants don't wear tilted hats, but to me flying is something great no matter how small my seat or how rude the crew is.

Last edited by usairwaysLamb; Sep 24, 2005 at 11:51 am
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:14 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
You Better Not Be Talking About Me!! Yes, there isn't much "experience" on the airplane any more, but adds on t.t.'s just seem so trashy! I am as frequent as flyers get!
I will feel trashy flying with a company using the name "US Airways", so I guess that makes us equal. Brrrr! I can never let my clients know that I am slumming it.

Last edited by KevAZ; Sep 24, 2005 at 11:57 am Reason: Removed offensive statement
Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:45 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Well Bud, get used to it. I'll be the guy pulling down $1.6M/yr sitting next to you with the Treo 650 plugged in during loading, listening to Ultimate Fakebook, Unwritten Law, Pepper, Train, Trapt and a load of bands you will roll your nose up at. Advertising on trays makes you feel trashy? How do you think I feel sitting next to you? I am sooooooo damned glad that I will never live in the USA East of PHX. AMS and PHX are the perfect match for me.
Let's stay on topic and avoid getting personal; this has always been a pretty civil board. I also don't care how much you make. If you want to be hostile, take it to OMNI.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 4:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

What makes me laugh is the marketing company's assertion that the ads will reach an "affluent and captive audience". Captive, yes. But affluent? Advertising in a platform catering to those search for the lowest price is not targeting affluence. The airline's numerous steps to direct the business traveller away from its planes tells me that there are better ways for those types of advertisers to reach their markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.