Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

Help other thread - Stat. Match : UA Prem Ex. or US Chairman's Pref. ?!?

Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.

Hi all.

If any of you could possibly help me with this, on the Thread below on the *A Forum, I would be ever so appreciative !

Stat. Match : UA Prem Ex. or US Chairman's Pref. ?!?

Gonna travel in a few weeks, so wanna make the decision soon !

Thanks.

H
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:10 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've got both, and without a doubt CP is the way to go. You get the same effective benefits you'd get as a 1P. Remember, they're not going to give you squat for 500 milers to start you out, so unless you're flying full fare or paying for stickers on UA you'll be in E+ - exactly where you'd be with CP.

Depending on where you're based, that might be a sway factor for me... but you'd have to be based in a UA hub location to change my mind...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Depending on where you're based, that might be a sway factor for me... but you'd have to be based in a UA hub location to change my mind...
Thanks McFlyPHL, but that is one of the key issues - forgot to mention it in the original post but I'm UK based, and only do a few trips a year to the US and many more to Asia/Oz and Europe (that UA fly to but [except to Europe] US don't).

Consensus on other Thread seems to be that as a consequence UA is the way to go. Do these facts change your assessment of my situ., or is CP still the way to go in your opinion ?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
....I'm UK based, and only do a few trips a year to the US and many more to Asia/Oz and Europe (that UA fly to but [except to Europe] US don't). .....
I've always believed that a FF should stick with a FF Program on an airline that he/she flys most on. Based on your location and flying pattern, I think that UA's 2nd tier, and accumulating MP Miles, would be better for you.

Don't forget that Qantas is a partner with US, and you can use your existing Qantas miles to redeem awards for US flights whenever the need arises.

US rarely comps its top tier, Chairman's Preferred, to anyone, so congratualtions are in order! However, as you are not flying much on domestic USA flights, and only occasionally transAtlantic, it would not serve you as well as the UA offer.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kudzu
...Based on your location and flying pattern, I think that UA's 2nd tier, and accumulating MP Miles, would be better for you...

US rarely comps its top tier, Chairman's Preferred, to anyone, so congratualtions are in order! However, as you are not flying much on domestic USA flights, and only occasionally transAtlantic, it would not serve you as well as the UA offer.
Thanks kudzu, you have confirmed what a couple have said elsewhere, and it does make sense, so will be taking the UA option.

Originally Posted by kudzu
Don't forget that Qantas is a partner with US, and you can use your existing Qantas miles to redeem awards for US flights whenever the need arises.
And on this point, btw, the main advantage I have as a QF WP is that I get domestic lounge access in the US when flying US, when a CP etc does not. This though does not affect the decision at hand - when flying *A I want to earn the miles towards status (be it on UA or US), and when doing so I can STILL use my QF card to get lounge access ! (It does not have to be in the booking, my *A no. can be). Best of both worlds (its a hard life ! )
Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Oh, one more thing though - if I get CP and then (to use the most extreme example) don't fly a single flight, do they drop me down one level in the programme the next year, or straight down to base tier ? (UA certainly will drop me straight to base tier I have been told).

Anyone have any experience of this on US ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.