FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   Best way to upgrade without status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/474654-best-way-upgrade-without-status.html)

uva185 Sep 20, 2005 2:52 pm

Best way to upgrade without status

Im making a trip from CAE-SFO through CLT on November 3rd returning on the 6th. My friend is going to come and meet up with me on November 4th because she cant fly out on the 3rd. What would be the best way to try to upgrade her on the outbound flight. Its not booked yet but she will be on US 37 CLT-SFO departing at 3:55pm on Nov. 4th. Its a A321. I looked on ebay and saw a DS0085 upgrade cert. Is that any good? She will be booked in V on the outbound and S on the return. I just made CP via the promotion but I havent recieved a membership kit yet. Will I get anything in there I can use for domestic upgrades? I would also prefer not to use miles because Im saving up for a Australian trip. Thanks for your help!

kudzu Sep 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by uva185
....a DS0085 upgrade cert. Is that any good? .... I just made CP via the promotion but I havent recieved a membership kit yet. Will I get anything in there I can use for domestic upgrades?

Any pax using a DS0085 is subject to the pecking order at the gate dance - CPs, then Gold, etc. Without status, chances are only slim to fairly good (it's a 321, after all).

The CP kit does not contain domestic upgrade stuff, because a CP already gets unlimited domestic UGs for himself/herself + companion.

You've posted flight # and date....maybe a CP reading your post is booked on her same flight and may well PM you to offer your friend a Companion upgrade!

DeacDiggler Sep 21, 2005 8:48 am

With that in mind, is your friend hot? ;)

jklevine Sep 21, 2005 9:12 am

You can always buy the upgrade certs for $50 bucks a pop for 500 milers. I think they still sell those dont they? Plus they do sell upgrades at the gate if they are available. Certainly not the best or most reliable option but an option nonetheless. I was gold preferred when US still had a limited upgrade based on segments. After loosing my status I was able to keep the upgrades and i was able to use them on flights at the gate after others had already upgraded so it does happen.

CLTFlyer Sep 21, 2005 9:28 am

One other thing - if your friend is a DM Signature Card holder, they can purchase an upgrade day of departure. Other than miles, or the DS0085s, I can't think of another way, other than if they offer a paid upgrade at the gate.

By the way, congrats on making CP - remembered from our conversation that you'd be hitting that shortly - again, congrats.

nehopper Sep 21, 2005 12:06 pm

As a DM CSR told me on Monday evening, you could always use mile to get the upgrade.

uva185 Sep 21, 2005 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by DeacDiggler

Why, thinking about making a mileage run out to SFO on November 4th?? ;)

bwelliott Sep 21, 2005 7:58 pm

Hmmm..

Originally Posted by DeacDiggler

I was wondering the same thing....