Can you upgrade companion that has award ticket

Old Sep 20, 05, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Can you upgrade companion that has award ticket

Can you upgrade a companion if they are flying with an award ticket? I tried a search but didn't see anything about this. Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 05, 2:31 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Technically no. But actuality will show this varies just as much as upgrading your own award ticket.

-JC
Old Sep 20, 05, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
My understanding is that Standard awards are not at all upgradable, but Premium awards are. Still not sure whether that would qualify them for companion upgrade though.
Old Sep 20, 05, 3:24 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by jcooke
Technically no. But actuality will show this varies just as much as upgrading your own award ticket.

-JC
I agree with the above. In my experience, there are a number of variables at play when you want to do such a thing. First, there will be NO advance upgrading of ANYONE holding an award ticket, period.

So, if there is F seating available at time of check-in, you MAY be able to sweet talk your pal's way into F to sit with you. Note: it helps immensely if you are flying from your home station and know the agents on duty.

Outside of those parameters, it's going to be mighty tough.
Old Sep 20, 05, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I left it as requesting an upgrade for me but we do have seats together in Coach. If I get upgraded and my daughter doesn't I will just smile sweetly at the agents at MCO and maybe she will be upgraded.
Old Sep 20, 05, 7:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
If there is P inventory available, a premium award ticket can be upgraded anytime in advance.
Old Sep 20, 05, 8:23 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I just did this this weekend. I redeemed a premium award for a friend and bought my ticket. The friend has no status and upgraded at the 3-day window with me (not before, since she had no status). Be certain to call to ensure that the companion's ticket is "attached" to yours.
Old Sep 21, 05, 6:19 am
Original Poster

This trip isn't that long to be worth a premium award. We will just take our chances.
Old Sep 21, 05, 12:51 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by safetymom
Can you upgrade a companion if they are flying with an award ticket? I tried a search but didn't see anything about this. Thanks.
tried 2x and gotten it 2x...

Search this Thread