Upgrading?

Old Sep 19, 05, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Avis First, National Executive Emerald
Upgrading?

Does anyone know how many seats are typically held back? I klnow this gets asked alot but I had a specific question. F3 P2 A1 = 4 FC seats correct? On a 734 (12 seats) I did not clear at 3 day window. The load factor has changed a bit. Should I call and reask or wait until, hopefully, the load factor becomes better.

DCA-CLT Thursday evening in case it matters.
Old Sep 19, 05, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by jklevine
Does anyone know how many seats are typically held back? I klnow this gets asked alot but I had a specific question. F3 P2 A1 = 4 FC seats correct? On a 734 (12 seats) I did not clear at 3 day window. The load factor has changed a bit. Should I call and reask or wait until, hopefully, the load factor becomes better.

It changes depending on the number of F seats on the aircraft and if they tend to sell lots of F seats (i.e. LAS). A safe number is E = up to 1/2 of the F cabin. So on a 737 they will probably upgrade at the window until the plane is F6 and then everything will wait until the gate.....This is just my opinion from watching for several years..... YMMV.
Old Sep 19, 05, 11:10 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold

Varies by destination and time. In this case my guess is they are going to hold back 3/4's but YMMV.
Old Sep 19, 05, 11:14 am

Programs: us cp, delta gold, marriott silver, hyatt gold, starwood gold.
Did you call and ask if you had cleared or did you check online? If you have just recently made gold, I would call. I found when making CP that I did not clear at the 7 day. I called CP desk and they told me because I had booked the flight before making CP it had not "worked".
They then cleared me.'
Old Sep 19, 05, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
F3 P2 A1 = 4 FC seats correct?
My understanding is that this would be at most 3 FC seats, not 4. US would of course love to sell all available seats at the F fare, so all seats for sale would be included in the F3, thus 3 first class seats for sale. Of course F3 could indicate fewer than 3 physical seats if there is an authorized oversale, but my guess is that an oversale in domestic F is unlikely.

Search this Thread