Using credit to buy a refundable ticket to get a refund?

Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Using credit to buy a refundable ticket to get a refund?

Hello US Airways flyertalkers.

A friend of mine has a large (circa $6000) credit on US from a first class longhaul flight to India she was not able to make. She tells me that the US people told her that the ticket is not directly refundable, but that by taking it to the airport and paying the change fee she could exchange it for other tickets.

My thought was that she could pay the change fee, exchange it for a full fare ticket to somewhere in Europe for about the same price and then refund the new ticket. Effectively getting back most of the value.

Would this idea work, or is there something I'm missing?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
If you apply a non-refundable credit to a refundable fare, the fare becomes non-refundable.

You don't think the airline would have left this large loophole open, did you?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pitflyer
If you apply a non-refundable credit to a refundable fare, the fare becomes non-refundable.

You don't think the airline would have left this large loophole open, did you?
You can no longer apply a non-refundable ticket for a refundable ticket. You can apply non-refundable vouchers to a refundable ticket. However, if you request a refund, the refund is always in the original form of payment, which in this case would be another non-refundable voucher.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Oh well. I'd suspected something like that might be the case, but thanks for confirming.

I guess she'll have to turn it into banked miles the hard way...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.