GSO losing Mainline service at end of 2005

Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:27 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone thought that this might actually be a forward looking move? If the new US is going to rationalize fares, what will that do to GSO demand? how much of it is folks driving from CLT to avoid BloFares?
Old Sep 17, 2005, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Well, now I have no reason to pick GSO over any other choice I have (BLF/BKW, CRW, ROA, TRI) for US. All give me Barbie Jets except BLF/BKW which have B1900s only.

Guess if I want mainline I have to drive to RDU or CLT.

Wonder what's going to happen to the club without mainline?
whats a barbie jet? erj 145? if you dont like those, you can get a crj , or on a saturday even a dash-300 what a treat

seriously, have you had some bad experiences on express aircraft?
Old Sep 17, 2005, 6:41 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by kcrwflyer
whats a barbie jet? erj 145? if you dont like those, you can get a crj , or on a saturday even a dash-300 what a treat

seriously, have you had some bad experiences on express aircraft?
Definition: Barbie Jet (origin: longing4piedmont) - Any non-mainline aircraft with non-turbo prop engines. Also called "Regional Jet", "RJ" or "BJ".

On US, Barbie Jets are EMB-145, CRJ (all varieties). Some include the EMB-170, others see it as a mainline aircraft (and this disagreement includes passengers and US employees alike). On UA, Barbie jets include FC and some contain E+ sections. On US, pray you can get the exit row.

Also CCY brass promised US FF that the E-170 would have a FC section, then changed their minds and made it an all Y aircraft.

Seriously, I've not had bad experiences on RJ's... however, a longer than 1 hr or 1:15 min flight is a pain for most... no FC is a pain for all of us. I think my max on an RJ has been about 1:30. Don't get me started about Mesa however.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:03 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Definition: Barbie Jet (origin:
Also CCY brass promised US FF that the E-170 would have a FC section, then changed their minds and made it an all Y aircraft.
Actually, they put out press releases to that effect, which (in true US form) are still on the website in a very public place (and if CCY is reading this, PR newswire still has them, archive.org has them, and I've saved a backup copy to keep posting every time this comes up).

http://www.usairways.com/about/press...nw_03_0512.htm

To wit:

Originally Posted by US Airways Designated Liar
The CRJ Series 700 aircraft and the Embraer 170s will offer both First and Coach-Class service. Every seat is either an aisle or window seat. These regional jets also provide comfortable leg space with plenty of overhead and under-the-seat baggage storage room and stand-up headroom. They have a cruising speed of around 500 miles per hour and can cruise at altitudes above 30,000 feet. GE engines will power each of these regional jets.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Sad News

This is very sad news . . .

I no longer live in or fly to GSO. As a former PI employee I fondly remember my days in Greensboro as well as Winston-Salem / High Point. The mini-hub status of GSO had nearly 70 flights a day to such places as LGA, BWI, DCA, ORF, CLT, RDU, ILM, BOS, ORD, MCO, TPA, EWR and DAY. It was so highly regarded that LGW, SFO and the morning LAX flight originated in GSO at one time or another.

I have also found it very odd that US seems to scratch their heads and wonder why they are losing money while they decide to terminate the networks of the profitable companies they acquire. A succesful US would have abandoned their network and adopted the Piedmont and PSA networks.

Last edited by mjcasta; Sep 17, 2005 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
This makes total sense at least for the GSO to CLT routes. It is purely a fare reducing route anyway so why not bring in the RJ's and call it good. I wil still use GSO as a strategy if warranted regardless of what type of equipment I sit on for the 25 minutes.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Plat
Just out of curiosity, l4p: why do you fly out of GSO if you're in Hickory?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by DeacDiggler
Just out of curiosity, l4p: why do you fly out of GSO if you're in Hickory?
I haven't flown out of GSO since April, save last week when there was a $600 fare difference to BNA and this week because I'm already here for Pre-Market. Having decided to move my business to DL it just makes more sense to fly HKY as you a deduced.

With that said, I still have many friends in GSO and I hate to see them take a hit in income after working for US for 20+ years.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by dingo
This makes total sense at least for the GSO to CLT routes. It is purely a fare reducing route anyway so why not bring in the RJ's and call it good. I wil still use GSO as a strategy if warranted regardless of what type of equipment I sit on for the 25 minutes.
Dingo,

If the loads are the same, which is cheaper, two to three Barbie jets making the trip or one 737. I haven't flown out of GSO in six months to speak of, but the flights on the 737 were always 70% to 90% full.

Hint: BJ's are not cheaper to fly per seat mile than a mainline flight. (By almost a three to one margin)

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Sep 19, 2005 at 12:42 pm
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:21 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I made a connection in GSO about a year ago on a pseudo-MR using mainline in and out. Except for one flight to MSP that was $200 cheaper than RDU, it was the only other time I've been to the GSO airport. Seemed quite busy both times I was there, so this is really surprising to me, but I'm sure they have a reason. Or maybe not.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:32 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
I remember the days (about 10 years ago) when CO Lite operated a mini-hub from GSO. US was battling back with a lot of flights and good fares. I remember having to book a 1-day advance to a client near BUF for like $200 the day before flying.

Since I've been in southern WV, I've used GSO as my #3 airport, behind CRW and ROA (I don't use ROA anymore as I can never get competitive fares there, so GSO is now my #1 or #2). I don't remember when I've flown through it when I'd say it was quiet. As it's been noted before, the 6-7AM flights seem to always have good loads, esp. to CLT. In the old days, there were always mainline to CLT, PIT, LGA, BOS and express to BWI and DCA amongst other places. It's sad to see it now going to an RJ/Express station.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:02 am

Saddened by the loss of mainline at GSO

I'm relatively knew to posting on flyertalk, but I've been reading these boards for ages. I literally "grew up" with US through college and then a financial consulting job involving lots of Europe travel. Over the years, I learned to cherish my pref. membership (although now just Gold again after I went back to grad school).

The best thing about GSO was their employees. Everyone knew the regulars and treated them like family. I don't even know where to begin re. the ladies in that club--the best in the system imo.

From what I've heard so far, the GSO club will remain due to the extremely high # of US prefs. and club members at GSO, but I am worried about service and more importantly what will happen to all those great employees that watched me grow up. I know that sounds snobby, but those folks saw me through 4 years of commuting to university in DC, then coming home to visit my family, and they're still there to welcome me back when I come back to visit. They were angels--all of them---and I will miss them if they decide (which I fear many of them might) to leave.

We all know the drill about the decrease in fleet size, but I really did think that a FEW mainline flights would remain at GSO even post merger, given to the large # of Chairmans and other prefs. out of that city. I guess I was only dreaming.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Well as a HP'er out west, I'm glad to see those RJ's head back east. HP has been using them on PHX-SAN/LAS/LAX routes. Hopefully, this means less RJ's to cities that shouldn't have them.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:32 pm

Damn, this really sucks. Just 4 years ago US had mainline to CLT, LGA, PHL, PIT, and DCA.

With air traffic at PTI growing, why has the airline cut service so much?

DL is expanding here like crazy.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Well as a HP'er out west, I'm glad to see those RJ's head back east. HP has been using them on PHX-SAN/LAS/LAX routes. Hopefully, this means less RJ's to cities that shouldn't have them.
And I was just begiining to like you.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.