My First Segment Run as a New CP

Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
My First Segment Run as a New CP

Did my first segment run since making CP this past Tuesday. Not really sure if this belongs here or not, because it's kind of a trip report, but it all deals with US Airways and DM CP. So if it's out of place moderators, please feel free to move it. If you get tired of reading, don't stop because there is a celebrity sighting here.

SEGMENT 1 US2759 TRI-CLT 05:45-06:33
================================================== ========
This flight was on an Embraer-145 on which I snagged 12A (the single seat in the exit row). I was a bit surprised when they just announced boarding "all rows" and never mentioned zones, but it was a light flight so I guess that made sense. Getting to board first is one of my favorite perks, but I guess it's no big deal if the plane isn't crowded. Pushed back on time and arrived in CLT early. Met up with fellow Flyer Talker jcooke at the US Airways Club in CLT. This was cool because it was the first time I have met someone off of here in person. It was nice to know I wasn't the only person flying around the country that day for no reason at all. We chit-chatted for a few minutes then I was off.

SEGMENT 2 US0716 CLT-DCA 07:45-09:00
This flight was on a Boeing 737. My upgrade had cleared at the 7 day window so I had a boarding pass with a confirmed seat in my hand. Actually, all of my upgrades cleared at the 7 day window, I really like this CP stuff already. We pushed back on time and arrived in DCA early. That was the first time I had ever been to DC and I was amazed to look out the window of the plane and see the Washington Monument and the Capitol Building staring me right in the face. They were so close you could almost touch them. I had no idea that the approach into DCA flew right through the middle of all these landmarks, so that was extremely cool.
Also flew over the outer bands of hurricane Ophelia, which was also very interesting.
I enjoyed FC and just drank some Diet Coke (it was early) and had a couple of things out of the snack basket (including XOXO's!).

SEGMENT 3 US0958 DCA-PIT 10:00-11:00
Pushed back on time. Arrived in PIT early. Enjoyed FC again, and ordered a Bloody Mary this time. Yum! Same snack basket choices.

SEGMENT 4 US3518 PIT-BDL 11:45-13:08
Back to the Embraer-145 for the ride over to Hartford, CT. Got 12A again. Nice flight with just beverage service, but I got the whole can, woo hoo!
Pushed back on time and arrived early.

SEGMENT 5 US3559 BDL-PIT 13:40-15:09
Hopped right back on the same plane for the ride back to PIT after I made a quick pit-stop in the BDL US Airways Club. The crew changed in BDL so no one looked at me strange for getting right back on the same plane and sitting in the same seat (12A) again. Pushed back on time and got to PIT early.

SEGMENT 6 US972 PIT-DCA 16:00-16:57
Back to the 737's again for the FC treatment. Drank some red wine and raided the snack basket again. Pushed back on time and arrived early. I sat on the opposite side of the plane so I knew I wasn't going to be able to see the Washington Monument or Capitol Building on the landing. I was kinda' miffed about that until I looked out my own window on my side of the plane and saw the !@*#&@%# Pentagon right in front of my face. AWESOME! I had no idea all this stuff was right there so close together.

SEGMENT 7 US1134 DCA-CLT 19:05-20:21
Okay, this flight ended up being the highlight of the trip because it involved my very first celebrity sighting on a flight. I was in FC again and had taken my seat and was sitting there watching everyone else board. Well, this one guy walked on the plane and started walking past me and I looked up at his face and I was shocked to see that it was R. Lee Ermey . He was the guy who played the drill sargeant in Full Metal Jacket, the coach in Saving Silverman, the sheriff in the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and lots of other parts in like 60 movies. If you don't know who I am talking about, just look at his website at www.rleeermey.com and you will recognize him. My eyes got about as big around as basketballs and I just grinned and waved at him and said "Hey!". He smiled real big and waved back and said something like "Hey there! How ya' doing?". I just grinned through the whole flight because that was the closest I have ever come to a celebrity. Then I got tickled because when the FA was doing the safety announcement, all I could think about was what it would sound like if R. Lee Ermey did the safety announcement... "PLACE THE FLAT END INTO THE BUCKLE YOU LITTLE MAGGOT OR GET THE @#*!%@$! OFF MY AIRPLANE!!!!"
We had to do a brief holding pattern over the hurricane's outer bands on the way back and that was SO COOL circling that thing, just barely above the top of it, over and over. It didn't slow us down though because we were so far ahead of schedule, we still arrived on time.
Asked for bourbon and Diet Coke to drink and got TWO bottles of Jack Daniels. I was pleasantly surprised because I thought JD was gone according to some other postings here on FT. So a celebrity and Jack Daniel's, what more could you ask for?

SEGMENT 8 US2859 CLT-TRI 21:45-22:44
Back to the Embraer-145 for the trip home. Yes, 12A again. Had a wonderful, seasoned veteran FA on this flight named PAT. She was hilarious. They normally don't offer beverage service on this short flight, but she brought me a big ol' bottle of water back to 12A. I didn't even ask for it. VERY NICE! It was the perfect ending to a day of perfect flying.

This was the first time my entire run had gone off without a hitch. Probably had something to do with not routing through PHL huh?

All in all, I had a blast flying for the first time as a newly hatched CP. It was very nice getting all of my upgrades confimed in advance at the 7 day window and the service that I received on every single flight was exceptional. I look forward to doing it 100 more times next year. ^
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: USairways Silver, NWA, AA
Great! ^
How much you paid for this run?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Syracuse
Great! ^
How much you paid for this run?
I thought I booked a good deal. It was $119.00

$182.10 with all taxes and fees included.

When you consider the fact that I got to fly around all day, which I enjoyed, sat in first class and ate a bunch of snacks and drank liquor and wine for free, plus, at the end of the day, earned enough miles to cover more than 1/2 of a free ticket (4000 miles + 4000 bonus miles + 2500 online booking bonus + 1000 online booking bonus + 200 online checkin bonus = 11700 miles) I think I got a heck of a deal.

P.S. The MOST I have paid (in the past) for this same itinerary is $267.10
Unfortunately, it is over $300 at this very moment.

Last edited by kennyboy3; Sep 15, 2005 at 3:53 pm
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:04 pm

Programs: US1
Welcome to the US1 level. And if you ever get into trouble at the airport (thunder storm) or a GA or some one not treating you correctly as they should be. Call the CP line. They will fix the problem.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Welcome to the US1 level. And if you ever get into trouble at the airport (thunder storm) or a GA or some one not treating you correctly as they should be. Call the CP line. They will fix the problem.
That is something I have been wondering about. In the past, when problems have come up I have found that the level of service you receive can vary WIDELY. I once almost ended up stranded overnite on a segment run because of a delayed flight and it took me several tries until I FINALLY found a GA who was helpful and rerouted me and DID NOT charge me the change fee (the regular reservations line, as well as most other GA's wanted to charge me the $100 change fee plus difference in fare, NO THANK YOU).

If a CP Angel helps you out by rerouting you, do they normally charge the change fees and differences in fare? I know everyone is SUPPOSED to, but they don't HAVE to.

Just wondering whether CP Angels regularly waive it since you are CP or always charge it since they probably assume you are loaded (which I am not) since you've made it to CP.

Last edited by kennyboy3; Sep 15, 2005 at 4:12 pm
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:18 pm

Programs: US1
I can tell you this much....there has been many times where the CP line has waived fees for me when I knew they were not suppose to. They can do some magical things at times. There have been a few times where I thought I was going to be stuck and the CP desk got things smoothed out for me. It is an outstanding perk.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kennyboy3
Just wondering whether CP Angels regularly waive it since you are CP or always charge it since they probably assume you are loaded (which I am not) since you've made it to CP.
Welcome to the club!

I don't expect the CP desk to save me money...I expect them to get me where I need to be with the least amount of hassle. And time and time again, they come through for me. In my 250 or so flights as a CP, I can only complain of one instance in which I was disappointed in the treatment I received from the CP desk.

But since you asked...yes, they more often then not "fix" things without thinking to charge. They first and foremost just want to help.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Glad to see someone else from little old TRI here on FT! That was a pretty good price for a trip out of here. How far in advance did you have to book that?
Old Sep 16, 2005, 5:45 am

Programs: US lowlife
^ on the TR! Always enjoy running into fellow FTers on the road.

-JC (Newly CP as well)
Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jophilpo
How far in advance did you have to book that?
I booked it 2 weeks in advance.

Congratulations jcooke - woo hoo!
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by jcooke
-JC (Newly CP as well)
and I knew you when you were a struggling silver.

Welcome to the club.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:18 pm
sm2

Programs: US-Chairman's, Hilton-Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Sofitel
Moving To Boone

Glad to see someone else from little old TRI here on FT! That was a pretty good price for a trip out of here. How far in advance did you have to book that?
Moving next week. Would love to use TRI for the segments, but it would take me a little longer to get there than Charlotte and certainly longer than Hickory for dreaded DL.

What is the best route from Elizabethton to TRI?
Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by sm2
Moving next week. Would love to use TRI for the segments, but it would take me a little longer to get there than Charlotte and certainly longer than Hickory for dreaded DL.

What is the best route from Elizabethton to TRI?
There may be some backroads that are faster, but the easiest way would be to take US 321 over to Johnson City, then get on I-26 west. Get off at the Gray exit and turn right onto TN-75, which goes directly to the airport. Total time probably about 35-40 minutes. Welcome to the area, sm2! I think its one of the most beautiful parts of the country with all the mountains. Elizabethton is definately a nice little town.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 2:52 pm
sm2

Programs: US-Chairman's, Hilton-Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Sofitel
There may be some backroads that are faster, but the easiest way would be to take US 321 over to Johnson City, then get on I-26 west. Get off at the Gray exit and turn right onto TN-75, which goes directly to the airport. Total time probably about 35-40 minutes. Welcome to the area, sm2! I think its one of the most beautiful parts of the country with all the mountains. Elizabethton is definately a nice little town.

Actually moving to Boone. I was using Elizabethton as a reference as I know how long it takes to get there from Boone.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat
If you're looking for maximum convenience, the 2 hour drive to CLT is the way to go. If you're looking for US segs, TRI is the way to go. I can't see why you'd need to go to Hickory since everything will end up in Atlanta. You may spend an extra 30 min or so getting to TRI, but the connection will be shorter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.