First Class upgrade selection order

Old Sep 15, 05, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold
First Class upgrade selection order

What is the order US in selecting FC upgrade at the ticket counter and the gate? I have heard DM status, ticket price, and DM account bank are used. How about the order of tie-breakers? And does check-in time play in a role too? Iím a newbie to this board, sorry if this has been answered in the past. Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 05, 11:56 am

Programs: US lowlife
Airport upgrade processing goes by status, then by checkin time.

Here's how it would look:

Name Status Ckin time (time elapssed since checkin)
---------------------
Bob US1 12:05
Jim US1 08:00
Joe US2 23:59
Sam US2 20:00
Mike US2 19:00
Dick US3 23:59

So you see, it definitely helps to use online checkin to check in at the 23:59 mark to get to the top of the list in your status.

-JC
Old Sep 15, 05, 1:34 pm

The above assumes all are traveling on a non Y/B ticket.

Someone of any status, or no status at all, can bypass all of them if they are on a Y/B ticket AND there is availability in the P bucket.

Translation:
FC seats come in 3 varieties 1) paid, 2) upgrade from full fare (tickets whose fare class start with Y or B) and 3) upgrades from discounted coach tickets.

In order to upgrade there must be inventory in the category you are allowed to go into. If there is no inventory you go on the waiting list - after you ask to be put on it.

Therefore, someone who bought a discounted ticket may be put on the waiting list while another person who bought a non discounted ticket gets the upgrade.

Once on the waiting list, it is exactly how Jcooke explained. Doesn't matter if it is full fare or not.
Old Sep 15, 05, 10:33 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
Upgrades

full fare (Y/B) are put on the PALL list for "P" class of service, everyone else is "E".

So a Chairmans Preferred on a Y fare, regardless of time of check-in, will clear before the US1 on a K fare.
Old Sep 22, 05, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Okay, I'm sorry to ask this (I'm a NW Plat who's never travelled on US before)... I have a trip CLT-ABE coming up, purchased B fare. The only possible useful thing I have is UA Premier status. Can I upgrade and how?
Old Sep 22, 05, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Okay, I'm sorry to ask this (I'm a NW Plat who's never travelled on US before)... I have a trip CLT-ABE coming up, purchased B fare. The only possible useful thing I have is UA Premier status. Can I upgrade and how?
You can upgrade - though because of your fare status. If there is P availibility (and that usually is all but one of the F seats on a flight like that so the chance is good). As a UA premier, the 500 mile cert will be $40 rather than $50. Call US, if the space is available it will be $40 I think to upgrade that flight now.
Old Sep 22, 05, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by sts603
You can upgrade - though because of your fare status. If there is P availibility (and that usually is all but one of the F seats on a flight like that so the chance is good). As a UA premier, the 500 mile cert will be $40 rather than $50. Call US, if the space is available it will be $40 I think to upgrade that flight now.
I called twice, and USAirways is saying they have no idea what I'm talking about! Flight is F3 P2 A1. They said they checked the fare rules, and said there are no upgrade restrictions, but told me I'll have to try my luck @ airport if they offer volunteers. I tried both 800-428-4322 and 800-943-5436. Any other ideas? Their customer service reps are total muppets.

Do I need to get a UA 500-miler AND pay the $40, or is it just a straight $40 fee?
Old Sep 22, 05, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcooke
Airport upgrade processing goes by status, then by checkin time.

Here's how it would look:

Name Status Ckin time (time elapssed since checkin)
---------------------
Bob US1 12:05
Jim US1 08:00
Joe US2 23:59
Sam US2 20:00
Mike US2 19:00
Dick US3 23:59

So you see, it definitely helps to use online checkin to check in at the 23:59 mark to get to the top of the list in your status.

-JC
You forgot Tom and Harry
Old Sep 22, 05, 9:38 pm

Maybe I've answered my own question???

I found this page about PT500 upgrades on united.com.

An excerpt:
Originally Posted by united.com
How to Purchase: PT500 upgrades may be purchased anytime in advance or on the day of departure at US Airways airport ticket counters, US Airways Clubs or city ticket offices. They cannot be purchased at the gate. Paper certificates will be used and they are personalized.
Pricing: Mileage Plus Premier, Premier Executive and Premier Executive 1K members may purchase PT500 upgrades for $40.00 each. General Mileage Plus members may purchase them for $50.00 each.
How To Request: Upgraded seats may be requested upon check-in on the day of departure only. Advance reservations will not be accepted.
Upgrade Processing: By elite level, then time of check-in.
Expiration: 1-year from date of issuance.
Refundable: Nonrefundable
Transferable: Customers may transfer PT500 upgrades to one companion traveling with them
Mileage Value: PT500 upgrades cannot be exchanged for Mileage Plus or Dividend Miles. Frequent flyer miles are earned based on fare purchased when traveling in an upgraded class of service.
I'm flying the US flight on Sunday night, and I'm flying to CLT tomorrow on another carrier. So I could stop by the airport tomorrow and buy one of these certs for $40, but if by the time Sunday night rolls around the space is gone then I'm screwed?

So best bet must be to buy at CLT before departure?

So does that mean I shouldn't do OLCI? Assuming this is available.

Search this Thread