Name Change On E-Ticket?

Old Sep 13, 05, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Name Change On E-Ticket?

Tried to surprise Mother in Law with trip to DisneyWorld. She decided "it wasn't a good time for her"! What options do I have with her ticket? Can I change the name on the ticket for a fee? Any other options you can think of? Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 13, 05, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
No.

You can change the dates on the ticket for a fee.

You could also give Mom a 'special blue cocktail'. When she wakes up in the land of the Mouse, tell her she changed her mind.
Old Sep 14, 05, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, US Dirt
This probably isn't entirely ethical, but you could just go to the airport, get a gate pass to "assist your mother to the gate", and then just use her ticket. Most airports don't do a second ID check at the gate, so how are they to know?
Old Sep 14, 05, 8:06 am

And the OP gets home... how?

This is a great strategy if he had been planning on shipping his mother-in-law to the Magic Kingdom to be rid of her, but he's not going to be able to use the other half when he gets to Orlando to come home.
Old Sep 14, 05, 9:11 am

Programs: DL, US, AA, MR
Originally Posted by Pluto's Pup
Tried to surprise Mother in Law with trip to DisneyWorld. She decided "it wasn't a good time for her"! What options do I have with her ticket? Can I change the name on the ticket for a fee? Any other options you can think of? Thanks for your help.
Is it still within the 24 hours of you booking the ticket? Most - if not all - of the carriers allow you to cancel the ticket within 24 hours of booking it through their online system. Call the carrier and find out what their policy is.

Otherwise, do you have a friend who is a doctor? sometime airlines will accept a letter claiming a medical reason for being unable to fly and waive the change fee. (not sure US policy on this. Only tried with NW once for a real reason and when I didn't get the answer I liked (don't remember if it was over phone or through website) I retried using the other contact method and was able to get a refund or vouchers -- but it was a serious reason for not flying)
Old Sep 14, 05, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
This is a great strategy if he had been planning on shipping his mother-in-law to the Magic Kingdom to be rid of her
Well, you know... I do have friends who dislike their mothers-in-law....
Old Sep 14, 05, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice.
MIL actually is a pretty nice lady. This is one time, however,....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old Sep 14, 05, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
And the OP gets home... how?
C'mon, Spiff, I'm surprised at you! The OP checks in on line and prints out a boarding pass for the return. He then buys a refunadable ticket, which he uses to get past the Keystone Cops at security. He boards and flies using the mum-in-law's ticket, and refunds the second ticket he purchased. He can do the same for the outbound, eliminating the need to drag mum to the airport.
Old Sep 14, 05, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
If it isn't a good time now, will it be a good time within the next year?
Old Sep 14, 05, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
C'mon, Spiff, I'm surprised at you! The OP checks in on line and prints out a boarding pass for the return. He then buys a refunadable ticket, which he uses to get past the Keystone Cops at security. He boards and flies using the mum-in-law's ticket, and refunds the second ticket he purchased. He can do the same for the outbound, eliminating the need to drag mum to the airport.

"Welcome on board... Sue Ellen?!?"
Old Sep 14, 05, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
"Welcome on board... Sue Ellen?!?"
Well, of course, that's a different challenge altogether.

Search this Thread