Last name off by ONE letter on ticket

Old Sep 13, 05, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Question Last name off by ONE letter on ticket

A colleague told me today that while inspecting an upcoming trip itinerary, he noticed for the first time that the ticket was issued with a small error in his printed last name.

A close example is this:

His name = Burnes. Ticketed name = Burns.

He asked a few of us how big of a deal it would be at check in and how to proceed now to avoid all hell breaking loose on day of departure.

Well, most all of us know this has major potential to be a huge hassle all around; however, I felt sure that at least a few of you would've been aware personally of similar situations.

Has this happened to you or to someone you know? If so, what did they do? My best advice to him today was to be in touch with the carrier (UA) at once to explain the minor error in hopes that they would have a backend method of correction given the obviously small spelling issue. However, it's been on my mind tonight that they might really give him the runaround.

Any personal experiences out there?
Old Sep 13, 05, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sbtinme
A colleague told me today that while inspecting an upcoming trip itinerary, he noticed for the first time that the ticket was issued with a small error in his printed last name.

A close example is this:

He asked a few of us how big of a deal it would be at check in and how to proceed now to avoid all hell breaking loose on day of departure.

Well, most all of us know this has major potential to be a huge hassle all around; however, I felt sure that at least a few of you would've been aware personally of similar situations.

Has this happened to you or to someone you know? If so, what did they do? My best advice to him today was to be in touch with the carrier (UA) at once to explain the minor error in hopes that they would have a backend method of correction given the obviously small spelling issue. However, it's been on my mind tonight that they might really give him the runaround.

Had a last name missing a letter on my ticket once. They asked about it but didn't cause a problem. IT was an international itinerary as well.
Old Sep 14, 05, 3:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would not sweat it a bit. At most, in the US, it would lead to haraSSSSment by the TSA for all of 5-10 minutes (as if you had lost your ID or were to travel without ID). The biggest problem most often with such a minor name issue in the ticket is that the frequent flyer miles may not credit and/or the account number cannot be entered without being forced in -- that is due to differences in the name on the ticket and name on the FF account and automation built in to prevent misdirected crediting of flights.
Old Sep 14, 05, 5:11 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by sbtinme

A close example is this:

I had something similar happen -- only I had my sister's name listed on the ticket and the last name was right.

A simple call to the airline fixed the problem, but I did have to check in with an agent from the airline.

Also, does it have the right frequent flyer number on it?

Bob H
Old Sep 14, 05, 6:45 am

Programs: US1
This is an easy fix. Just call reservations. If you have your DM # attached they can easily fix the problem. I had a friend who had the same problem and all he had to do was make a phone call to reservations.
Old Sep 14, 05, 9:44 am

i assume it's an e-ticket, so the resevations agenct can make the change without any trouble. i doubt there would be any issues at the airport - TSA barely even looks at my name and ID - but just to be safe a few minute phone call won't hurt. I did this same thing a few weeks ago on another carrier
Old Sep 14, 05, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would not sweat it a bit. At most, in the US, it would lead to haraSSSSment by the TSA for all of 5-10 minutes (as if you had lost your ID or were to travel without ID). The biggest problem most often with such a minor name issue in the ticket is that the frequent flyer miles may not credit and/or the account number cannot be entered without being forced in -- that is due to differences in the name on the ticket and name on the FF account and automation built in to prevent misdirected crediting of flights.
My FF account has a different first name and it works fine. Ual.com has been set up to use my proper first name and it works fine with my FF account. Most agents have no problem changing the first name on a reservation. 1/10 do not so you hang up and call again. Changing the first name on the FF account is a big hassle.

The reason I started using the proper name is because 1/10 check-in agents will hassle you over the first name. You know the type who enjoys causing trouble.
Old Sep 14, 05, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Just confirming that my colleague reported today that his call in to res quickly corrected the issue and the airline promised no further complications!

Search this Thread