Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Power ports will be removed!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Paging EnvoyBoy!!! Or maybe he read the first post on this thread and hasn't stopped retching yet long enough to post.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:40 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Here's a question... will this be a deciding factor for anyone to take business elsewhere?? I can see where it might be for some of you.

All I can say is that CCY had better have a good reason for this. Speculation on the other boards are that this is being done because of high maintenance costs. They will be capped immediately and removed from A/C during the next C check.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US1
I think we all need to start writing and calling both US Consumer Affairs and HP management. Maybe we all can have some kind of stand if we all work together and get a lot of customers on board.

T
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:47 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Here's a question... will this be a deciding factor for anyone to take business elsewhere?? I can see where it might be for some of you.
Hmm... Can't say that it would be a deciding factor, per se, for me. BUT... it goes a long way towards annoying me in the extreme to have it in place and then removed when it is becoming increasingly needed.

What this forces me to do is to break down and get a battery backup kit and lug that with me for travel days. Frankly, with all the junk I already have to lug everyplace, I could do without the hassle.

Bottom line: I'll keep flying US or HP or whatever, but when I see those disembodied, non-functional outlets, it'll always burn me.

edited to add: It WOULD be a deciding factor if carriers continue to add ports to their a/c and US opts not to. For example, UA F and DL's SONG.....if that trend continues, and all other things being equal....that'd be a valid reason to hop.

Last edited by sbtinme; Sep 13, 2005 at 7:49 pm Reason: edited to add last sentence
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
HP is an airline centered around 2 smaller cities (LAS and PHX), with predominantly leisure traffic. They are only a third the size of USAirways, and have no real history of chasing business travelers. While people like Parker have worked elsewhere, I suspect there is a fairly parochial bunch doing things at the top. As indicated, they have blown off pets, unacompanied kids, now power ports. I am fond of saying they must have Vampires for customers, given the disproportionate number of redeyes they fly. What we are seeing is naivete replacing stupidity. It ends up about the same. They appear to be striving for a low cost product, matching some of the LCC's. Two things they are forgetting. People like Southwest and JetBlue have been able to exist thanks to dopes who ran crappy companies. It's kind of like standing next to a fat guy, so you look thinner....only we fly with the fat guy. Secondly, before you take on JetBlue, make sure you have free TV sets in the back of every seat.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:24 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This might be one of my worst nightmares as a CP-lite (and soon to be full fledged-EXP) based in PHL. AA has already cut service to the bone by removing the ORD flights before 8:30 (killing access to the first bank of connections at ORD). I am likely to spend the better part of next year flying to Cali. AA has ports, but connections in DFW. US has no ports and directs. UA = E+, no ports. What is a high fare traveller to do?

Easy way for US to take my full fare business to the bank with ports so the time I fly is billable. Now, it looks like it won't be.

... but at least I can hope for a misconnect in vegas
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:26 pm

My letter is already sent to Deb Thompson (who knows if she is even reading correspondence anymore). I agree with Abeflyer. This is just another misstep that leans me toward taking my business elsewhere. This weekend I'm actually going to buy the other adapter to start using on AA (where I have already earned Platinum). I was so loyal to US for so long, but it's clear they are forgetting their most loyal customers on this one.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US1
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
HP isn't in charge exactly yet. Besides I'd be highly surprised if a decision like this came down from Doug Parker. This reeks of the bone-headedness of US mgmt..
Sorry but I DO THINK HP had a say in this. No broken power ports? Less cost to the airline. US Airways has had the power ports for years and now that US and HP are coming together they want to clone all the planes to be the same (except for the A330 which will be keeping theirs). Less maintenance issues.

I hope many of you write or call the toll free number of US. I wish I knew what the number was for HP. Guys make sure you tell your friends to get on the ball and write or call. Maybe they will listen. I certainly hope so.

Take Action!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I'll be writing to the US3 direct email. I've always gotten an honest and prompt response from that address. I would recommend that everyone contact their own respective preferred correspondence, too.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Thumbs down No power ports

Originally Posted by drtdk
I'm sure that HP made and/or approved this decision. Do HP's Airbuses have powerports? My guess is that this decision has to do with fleet simplification/standardization.
-----no they dont have power ports.i have asked for them and been told they dont have them hp

Last edited by grbauctions; Sep 13, 2005 at 10:42 pm
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I think part of the rationale driving this, too, is that newer laptops no longer work with the power ports. My new Dell laptop, for example, requires more juice than the power ports deliver, rendering the ports useless. In fact, I searched high and low for a power adapter for on board use until I was finally told none exist since the planes don't output enough voltage.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I think part of the rationale driving this, too, is that newer laptops no longer work with the power ports.
I thought some of the newer laptop power adapters will only power the notebook without charging the batteries. I also thought there were some models that throttled down the processor to reduce power consumption.

My new Dell laptop, for example, requires more juice than the power ports deliver, rendering the ports useless. In fact, I searched high and low for a power adapter for on board use until I was finally told none exist since the planes don't output enough voltage.
What model Dell do you have? Dell has a 12V DC adapter.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:26 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by sbtinme
What on earth are they SMOKING ?!?!?! Not only is that a maddening decision, it flies in the very face of current industry trends. For an airline looking to pull itself up by the bootstraps and offer reasonable fares with full service airline programming for higher yield consumers, this is one DUMB move.

I, for one, would rather tolerate the crappy first class (am I even allowed to call it that anymore?) on US for the powerports to remain on the a/c.

Frankly, I'm stunned at this news. Have there been significant servicability issues with these? None that I've been made aware of.

Ugh!
I totally agree. A bad move.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I think part of the rationale driving this, too, is that newer laptops no longer work with the power ports. My new Dell laptop, for example, requires more juice than the power ports deliver, rendering the ports useless. In fact, I searched high and low for a power adapter for on board use until I was finally told none exist since the planes don't output enough voltage.
Same problem here USFlyer. I've got a Dell 5150, and while fast, it sucks up the juice. Dell tried to send me an AC inverter that they said would work with the cigarette lighter type ports on AA. The things was the size of a Volkswagon. I'd be surprised if TSA would've let me take the thing on. I sent it back, and bought a 2nd battery.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:07 am

I don't know that this will be a negative deciding factor for me, but I can say I have shifted flight schedules, rejected UA codeshares, etc to make sure I was on a plane that had a power port.

This is an awful decision based on the limited info we have... going to the least common denominator, while a hallmark of the LCC approach, doesnt make sense when you are removing functionality that has limited expense and great value to your highest margin customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.