Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

Will Transatlantic Space Available Upgrades Continue In 2006?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

The title says it all, have heard thru our corporate travel agent that there will be none for next year, 2006.

All upgrades will now have to be done thru mileage or $$$. Anyone heard anything different?

Please let this not be true!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:29 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
My guess is that the upgrades will continue. From the USAirways website:

"Upon qualification, Chairman's Preferred members receive two annual one-way, transatlantic Envoy Class upgrades for themselves and a companion to use when traveling on US Airways to and from Europe."

Since they're currently advertising it as a benefit to motivate people (like me!) to reach CP they'd face a lot of wrath if they dropped it. I know things are going to change with the merger, but I think this is one they'll keep.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 4:01 am

Programs: us cp, delta gold, marriott silver, hyatt gold, starwood gold.
I just received mine "upon qualification" and it is good until Sept 30th 2006.
Hopefully if it is done away with existing ones will still be good. What about the ones that are given to ta and often sold on a certain auction site?
Could that be the ones they mean?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:01 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Guys, the OP is talking about SA upgrade certs, not the CP upgrades which are (sometimes) confirmable in advance. These are the ones travel agents dole out to favored customers (or sell on eBay).
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:50 am

unfortunately you are right, trappy...
The Transatlantic SA will not continue next year
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Is anything going to replace them?

Actually, this may hurt US big time - I have flown US exclusively for Transatlantic because of them. Now unless I fly a Y or B fare I probably wouldn't bother using 30K to upgrade so might as well fly LH, SK, OZ, and soon Swiss for better transatlantic coach service - or even United Economy Plus.

Not to mention, US's B fares - even the non-refundable one's are brutally over-priced right now compared to UA's.

Last edited by sts603; Sep 12, 2005 at 8:30 am
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sts603
Actually, this may hurt US big time ...
Or not. Especially if they are discontinuing them because they are selling Envoy seats.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gardener
Or not. Especially if they are discontinuing them because they are selling Envoy seats.
Well I"m sure I'm not the only one who would pick US for a transatlantic because of the Space Availables. Actually, without them, therefore assuming coach, they would be the last transatlantic carrier I would pick in Star Alliance (well a B757 Icelandair plane operating for BMI may behind a US A330 in Coach but other than that....)

Also - the whole thing that is great about SA's is other than an extra meal and booze the airline can't loose, since they aren't confirmed until the airport, if all Envoy seats are sold, then no one gets an upgrade. It's a simple and great marketing tool and if they were smart they would give Silver's and Gold's 2 of these, leaving the CP's with the current 7-day advance companion certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.