Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Award Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Star Alliance Award Question

I am checking award travel to New Zealand. On United's website the star alliance award chart shows 120,000 miles are needed for a first class ticket however on US's website the star alliance chart says 150,000 miles are needed for the same ticket. Whats up with that. I figured there would be a set amount of miles for a star alliance award. Are these charts correct?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by uva185
I am checking award travel to New Zealand. On United's website the star alliance award chart shows 120,000 miles are needed for a first class ticket however on US's website the star alliance chart says 150,000 miles are needed for the same ticket. Whats up with that. I figured there would be a set amount of miles for a star alliance award. Are these charts correct?
US Airways' 150,000 miles First Class award is based on the Star Alliance award charts. Because United actually flies to Australia/New Zealand, they offer a 120,000 First Class award for its own MP members on flights operated exclusively by United. The same way that domestic First Class on 2-class aircraft or Business Class on 3-class on United only requires 40,000 miles for MP members, whereas within the Star Alliance awards it requires 50,000 miles.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Different carriers have different redemption rates, even within the Star Alliance.

Begging to differ with fly747first-- on UA, the 120,000 mile first class ticket to Australia or New Zealand is available on UA or NZ metal. Same for the 90,000 business class ticket. My wife and I flew ORD-SFO-AKL / CHC-LAX-ORD in business class for 90K UA miles each. It was a great deal, and a great trip.

Every airline has its quirk within the *A. Australia/NZ happens to be the quirk in the UA scheme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.