Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade availability

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade availability

Has anyone else experienced this? I am a Gold and expected to be able to upgrade at the 3 day window. I haven't had great luck with upgrades as either GP or SP. Today when I attemtped to UG for an upcoming flight on the automated line, I was told no availabilit...however, I noted that seats were available for purchase. When I called the GP line I was told that only a certain number of seats made available for U/G. Not the "if a seat is available, we'll U/G you" as the web site claims. Is this well known and I just didn't realize it?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
It's well known. The key is whether or not there are upgrade seats available - and they're currently E class. Since it looks like no E class seats are available - you'll need to check in as early as possible (online check in works well for this) and then make sure you get on the upgrade wait list at the airport when you get there.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
The "if seats are available" part is true in the end. Upgrades clearing in advance are capacity controlled (the E fare bucket). All of the airlines hold some FC seats back in case someone actually wants to buy one at the last minute.

If there are still FC seats open at the gate, you should get one, assuming that there are any left after those with higher waitlist priority (CP for example) don't use up the supply. My experience has been that I will clear at the gate more often than at the 3 day window.

Just to be on the safe side, ask about your upgrade at every point of contact. At checkin, at the club if you go there, and at the gate.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Another scenario is that there are more GP's than FC seats available. CP's cleared, they still are willing to sell the seat, but they can't upgrade all of the Golds. So check in early!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.