FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   Redeem miles and First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/470765-redeem-miles-first-class.html)

Cindy D Sep 8, 2005 2:51 pm

Redeem miles and First Class

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new to this fourm. I am in search of information about US Air and redeeming miles for a first class seat, from PHL to MCO. What advise or insight could any of you give me???

Thanks in Advance for your help!!
Cindy

BigLar Sep 8, 2005 3:27 pm

Well, you can do it. I think it costs 40,000 miles.

A better question might be "Why would you want to do it?"

kennyboy3 Sep 8, 2005 3:28 pm

If you want to use miles to purchase the entire ticket, it looks like it will cost you at least 40,000 miles. Here's the current award chart:

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...avel_chart.htm

If you are buying a coach ticket and want to UPGRADE to First Class, it looks like that will run at least 20,000 miles, if available. Here are the requirements for that:

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...m/upgrades.htm

:D

djk7 Sep 8, 2005 3:35 pm

You can check award availability on the web site, I just checked a couple of random sets of dates and availability of a single FC standard award seemed pretty open. If you post more specific questions or problems, you will get better responses.

BigLar Sep 8, 2005 4:12 pm

I wasn't trying to be snippy in my reply, but for the information of the OP, domestic first class on pretty much any US airline is but a pale shadow of its' former self. 40,000 Dividend Miles would get you an off-peak r/t to Europe, which would be a much better way (IMO) to spend the miles than on a 2+ hour journey in a tired 737 w/no food going down to Disney.

Just my opinion.

planeluvr Sep 9, 2005 6:31 am

Originally Posted by BigLar
I wasn't trying to be snippy in my reply, but for the information of the OP, domestic first class on pretty much any US airline is but a pale shadow of its' former self. 40,000 Dividend Miles would get you an off-peak r/t to Europe, which would be a much better way (IMO) to spend the miles than on a 2+ hour journey in a tired 737 w/no food going down to Disney.

Just my opinion.

I agree, especially for a $98 coach ticket. It's not first class but it is a short trip.

brgallion Sep 9, 2005 9:44 am

First Class Redemptions to MCO

Originally Posted by Cindy D
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new to this fourm. I am in search of information about US Air and redeeming miles for a first class seat, from PHL to MCO. What advise or insight could any of you give me???

Thanks in Advance for your help!!
Cindy

Cindy,

I just booked several First Class seats from PHL to MCO for next May using miles. The "standard" award level for First Class is 50,000 miles but they only release a couple of seats on each flight at that level. After that you have to hand over 90,000 each for a "premium" award. Granted that's a lot of miles, but it all depends on your options. The best coach fare I could find on any travel website for my dates was over $400 and I don't have the option with this trip to wait for a last minute special. And miles come frequently enough in our household through internation business travel that I would rather use them for a more comfortable ride (in a not-so-tired Airbus 320) instead of dropping $1600+ to cram the family into coach. Just my preference...

If you are willing to spend that many miles, just log into your Dividend miles account on the website and select "Redeem Miles". If you search for more than one seat, and they only have one seat available at the lower mileage level, you won't find it. Go back and make your request for fewer passengers. I was able to make a reservation for 2 passengers at the 50,000 level, and then made a second reservation for the other 2 at the higher level. When I was going through the process for the first reservation, the seating chart was wide open. All seven rows of first class were empty, and only the 2 seats were released at the standard level. I'm sure that varies by city and date because I have easily booked four FC seats at the lower mileage level for other cities in the past.

Calling your preferred phone line is also a good option. I find that the agents are usually willing to help you locate available seats.

Good luck!

planeluvr Sep 9, 2005 10:18 am

No last minute special, just the Southwest factor. FYI, tickets in May are going for $158+ and seem to have availablity for 4 on most days.

Welcome to FT.

brgallion Sep 9, 2005 11:48 am

Originally Posted by planeluvr
No last minute special, just the Southwest factor. FYI, tickets in May are going for $158+ and seem to have availablity for 4 on most days.

Welcome to FT.

I looked around a bit more using the flexible date options and found some of those lower fares. But then when I narrowed in on the dates I needed, the best fare I could get was $392. Unfortunately, our schedule has virtually no flexibility for this trip. I just hope someone really gets to use these low fares! Maybe one day it will be us :)

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like there is a lot of good info on this board.

bwelliott Sep 10, 2005 8:11 am

Save the miles

Originally Posted by planeluvr
I agree, especially for a $98 coach ticket. It's not first class but it is a short trip.

I agree with your post. The OP should save the miles for a reward of greater value.