No more preferred seating

Old Sep 6, 05, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage latinum, Marriott Gold
Angry No more preferred seating-just unlucky in "agent roulette"

I was recently matched to silver by US and tried to change my seat assingments to exit rows and was told that they are no longer allowed to book exit row seats for elites. Has anyone else had this experience?

Last edited by TopGun; Sep 7, 05 at 6:49 am
Old Sep 6, 05, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Qantas, Delta, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I had no problem reserving exit seats on a reservation made today at usairways.com. Also, preferred seating is still listed as a benefit on the DM web site. Perhaps try again with another agent?
Old Sep 6, 05, 7:23 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by hoobly
I had no problem reserving exit seats on a reservation made today at usairways.com. Also, preferred seating is still listed as a benefit on the DM web site. Perhaps try again with another agent?
Perhaps try an agent, based in INT not overseas, who politely speaks English as their first language?
Old Sep 6, 05, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Good ole Agent roulette

If at first you don't succeed, then try again
Old Sep 6, 05, 7:45 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
i think you got a rent-a-res agent...
Old Sep 6, 05, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Calliope
If at first you don't succeed, then try again
That's almost the US Airways Slogan, "If at first you don't Succeed, keep on sucking until you do succeed"

Or,

"At US Airways we're not happy until you're not happy"
Old Sep 6, 05, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, SPG Ambassador & Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS 1st, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by PineyBob
That's almost the US Airways Slogan, "If at first you don't Succeed, keep on sucking until you do succeed"

Or,

"At US Airways we're not happy until you're not happy"
Oh please: read the forum of any other airline. They all experience the same thing. This call and call again until you get the answer/response you want is hardly unique to US or to the airline industry.
Old Sep 6, 05, 9:21 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Oh please: read the forum of any other airline. They all experience the same thing. This call and call again until you get the answer/response you want is hardly unique to US or to the airline industry.
You don't hear this complaint in the LUV or Jetblue forums very much.

Further, a year ago you never heard this particular complaint out of any of the elite lines.

I don't consider "everyone else sucks, so I should lower my expectations of a business to which I give 5 figures/year to" to be a healthy way of thinking. Or, to put it another way: if I was not elite on US and/or if I start getting the "rent-an-agents," I'm going to take my business elsewhere.
Old Sep 7, 05, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage latinum, Marriott Gold
I called first thing this AM and got an agent named Judy who was more than happy to help me change my seats to exit row seats. I don't like to get into arguments with agents. I guess the best way is to hang up and try again. I guess we could call it agent roulette.
Old Sep 7, 05, 7:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by TopGun
I called first thing this AM and got an agent named Judy who was more than happy to help me change my seats to exit row seats. I don't like to get into arguments with agents. I guess the best way is to hang up and try again. I guess we could call it agent roulette.
Agent roulette never ceases to amaze me.

I had to change a flight to a day later a few weeks ago, and one agent was going to charge me $100 change fee + difference in fare ... I said I'd hang up and think about whether I wanted to spend the money ... Then I decided I was going to, so I called the Silver line back, told the new agent that I wanted to change to the next day's flight ... and a few keystrokes later she asked me if there was anything else she could do for me.

Hanging up and thinking about it saved me almost $400.
Old Sep 7, 05, 8:54 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by TopGun
That's not always easy when the average wait time exceeds 30 minutes! This is no lie as I waited 45 minutes on one and 35 minutes on another for seat assignment changes last night. I am an UA 1P, so I don't have access to the elite desk (it's gotta be better than the general line, right?!). I almost fell asleep while I was on hold. Thank god I didn't get disconnected while on hold, otherwise I would have been stuck at the back of the line again.

LAX
Old Sep 7, 05, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, DL
exit rows for UA elites?

Originally Posted by hoobly

do UA elites get exit rows assigned when they call the res line? or is that a benefit for US elites only?
Old Sep 7, 05, 10:11 am

Programs: MilagePlus,PriorityClub, HyattGold,Avis
UA elites and US exit rows

UA elites can reserve exit rows, Mrs. Belvidereflyer and I did 8 segments each on US in July and sat in the exit row on evey one of them.
Old Sep 7, 05, 11:08 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by germansoks
do UA elites get exit rows assigned when they call the res line? or is that a benefit for US elites only?
Yes if they are still available at the time of your call. However, getting a live CSR to change your seat assignment on the general line is painful as the wait time can be excruciatingly long!!

LAX
Old Sep 7, 05, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by LAX
However, getting a live CSR to change your seat assignment on the general line is painful as the wait time can be excruciatingly long!!

LAX
I know what yu're talking about. I tried it twice sometime last week, got stuck on hold for almost 30min each and both times had a non native speaker on the phone - they didn't know what I was saying and I couldn't figure out what the hell they were saying. rather frustrating - I guess I'll give it another try this week. any time recommendations on when to reach a USA based agent?

Search this Thread