Lost US Airways Express Carriers..

Old Sep 6, 05, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Lost US Airways Express Carriers..

I recently began thinking about some of the old USX carriers that have come and gone over the years. Does anyone know what happened to them? I remember Potomac Air, Midway, and Shuttle America, to name a few. IIRC, Allegheny was merged into Piedmont (or was it PSA?). Does anyone know what happened to any of these Express carriers, or know of any others that I haven't mentioned that have come and gone?
Old Sep 6, 05, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
ShuttleAmerica is owned by Republic and still exists, as far as I know. They operate mainly SF3s I believe.
Old Sep 6, 05, 2:48 pm

Programs: US GP, AA GLD, HH GLD
CCAir
States West
Crown
Florida Gulf
Pennsylvania Airlines
Southern Jersey

There's just so many.....
Old Sep 6, 05, 5:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
Liberty Express
Henson (now Piedmont)
Jetstream (now PSA)

Last edited by BrokesiliaFlyer; Sep 6, 05 at 5:00 pm Reason: added info
Old Sep 6, 05, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Those flights from PIT to ART are run by Midwest
Old Sep 6, 05, 7:28 pm

Programs: US GP, AA GLD, HH GLD
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Those flights from PIT to ART are run by Midwest
That's Air Midwest, a division of Mesa Airlines.
Old Sep 6, 05, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Midway (JI) is no more. They were liquidated a few years ago.
Old Sep 7, 05, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I recently began thinking about some of the old USX carriers that have come and gone over the years. Does anyone know what happened to them? I remember Potomac Air, Midway, and Shuttle America, to name a few. IIRC, Allegheny was merged into Piedmont (or was it PSA?). Does anyone know what happened to any of these Express carriers, or know of any others that I haven't mentioned that have come and gone?
Potomac was an off-shoot carrier created to help ease the merger with UA. They I believe were going to go with the BET guys new carrier. I wasn't a fan of that one because they took all the good Dash 8's from Piedmont. For a long time after they held on to that certificate and had one Dash sitting at the hangar in JAX to keep it viable.

Midway liquidated and Mesa bought the CRJs and they are currently flying around PHL.

Shuttle now flys the E170s after being brought into the Republic Holdings fold. I think they are going to do the UAX flying....or Delta.

CCAir was bought by Mesa who decimated the airline.

That's all I know.
Old Sep 7, 05, 5:43 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Well, if you want to go W A Y back, we can start including some of the old timers like Ransome, Pennsylvania, and Suburban, etc, etc, etc. The list really is nearly endless!

FWIW, I had to chuckle reading above about Florida Gulf Airlines. I'd nearly forgotten about them. Their last dying breaths were running routes well far away from their namesake, Florida. I flew them from BOS - PQI (*Presque Isle, ME) which is a stone's throw from French Canada. So much for names.

p.s. did we mention Commutair yet??!?!?!? I'll think of 6 more in the next 2 minutes!
Old Sep 7, 05, 6:58 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I saw some Montana routes on an old USAir Express map, like BIL-MLS-GDV-SDY. That same route, among others in Montana, is flown by Big Sky Airlines today.

Search this Thread