Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

Minor Rant: LGA staff continue to not understand standby rules

Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

I fly US-operated, UA codeshares from LGA fairly often. The UA fare rules on these flights always claims, "Same day standby permitted free of charge."

My most recent experience: Since there was no one at my gate, I stopped by a random gate whose agent wasn't busy and asked to be added to standby for the earlier RDU flight, which the agent took care of without a problem. I went to visit the US Air Club, and on the way back out, asked the agent at the desk if she could see if I'd cleared my standby request, which she said she could do easily.

After typing away for a moment, she said, "That will be $100." I sometimes expect the $25 fee to be requested, and I pointed out that my fare rules were UA and allowed free same-day standby. She said, "Your fare rules say $100 for changes."

I argued that (a) this wasn't a change, just standby, and was (b) free by the fare rules and (c) that I did this all the time. She said that I would be taking a "big chance" that the GA would refuse to print the BP if I didn't pay and advised me to pay "before going to the gate." I argued a little more and then just said, "Fine, I'll just stay on my regular flight."

Of course, the GA immediately gave me my BP, no additional questions asked. How hard is it to be somewhat consistent on something as simple as standby? I'm around 50% in terms of finding an agent at LGA who can do so, though.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
The standby rule is idiotic in general, let alone the idiots that don't understand it. Actually made it in early to PHL for a connection to PIT and ran over to the gate for an earlier flight, sure enough lots of seats but door closing in 5 minutes. Gate agent looks it up in the computer and says that I could do it but I'd have to go to Special Services to pay the $25 standby fee and I would never make it back in time.

So I just went on my 6pm flight which was overbooked. US lost some potential revenue over their stupid $25.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jfunk138
The standby rule is idiotic in general, let alone the idiots that don't understand it. Actually made it in early to PHL for a connection to PIT and ran over to the gate for an earlier flight, sure enough lots of seats but door closing in 5 minutes. Gate agent looks it up in the computer and says that I could do it but I'd have to go to Special Services to pay the $25 standby fee and I would never make it back in time.

So I just went on my 6pm flight which was overbooked. US lost some potential revenue over their stupid $25.
the gate won't sell you the $25 standby cert? I think that's diufferent from what it says on the website
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
Agents and Cash

Most of the time, the gate agents don't have an active ATAC (system that tracks financial transactions), which is why they told a prior pax to go to the Service Center.

Those $25 fees really do help the bottom line and are in place because most of the time the flights you *really* want are more expensive and its the company's way of recouping that money.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by BrokesiliaFlyer
Those $25 fees really do help the bottom line and are in place because most of the time the flights you *really* want are more expensive and its the company's way of recouping that money.
Ohh yeah those $25 fees just are propelling them out of BK. HP has no stand-by fees and they're profitable. Must be a correlation here. That is why my wife NEVER wants to fly US because she can stand-by FOR FREE on UA from DCA-ORD, sit in economy plus and never have to give US one penny to sit in the big RJ.

Stupid, Stupid Stupid. ..
Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Try calling the reservations line before you ask for standby and sometimes the reservations agent will note on your record that you can fly standby for no fee.

The US standby procedures are really a mess. Another reason I switched to UA: confirmed standby for no fee.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Standby fees

They try to charge me when I am on the fully refundable, fully exchangeable Y fares (I think that's the code) and I am a CP.

Then I just say, ok refund that ticket and buy me one on this flight, whatever--

They usually just let me on then.

I don't understand the rules either, just don't hassle me, that's my #1 rule.

I just want to go to the airport and get the next flight out.

Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.