Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA not opening seats for US2?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, US Dirt (Yay!)
UA not opening seats for US2?

I just called and got an agent who *seemed* to know what he was talking about, so I wanted to get some corroboration or contradiction here.

Apparently there was a recent change, where United is pre-assigning seats for only half the available seats, and the rest are only available on day of checkin. As a US2 I used to be able to get them to release a seat for me, but now they saying that because of United preferreds who complained about the lack of seats, they're not allowing US elite to do that anymore until day of checkin.... ?????

Is this a new policy or is this just an agent who doesn't have a clue? I had two different agents tell me essentially the same thing, though one went into more detail than the other.

This is UA ticket, UA metal, but with my US FF number

?????

Last edited by jhpark; Sep 6, 2005 at 12:51 pm
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:11 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Call UA and see if they can get you a seat.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
when you talk to UA, you might have to ask the agent to seek a supervisor's help in getting you an E+ seat. Apparently, there's a code they need to enter to display E+ for people with US status, and many agents have never come across this.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by jhpark
I just called and got an agent who *seemed* to know what he was talking about, so I wanted to get some corroboration or contradiction here.

Apparently there was a recent change, where United is pre-assigning seats for only half the available seats, and the rest are only available on day of checkin. As a US2 I used to be able to get them to release a seat for me, but now they saying that because of United preferreds who complained about the lack of seats, they're not allowing US elite to do that anymore until day of checkin.... ?????

Is this a new policy or is this just an agent who doesn't have a clue? I had two different agents tell me essentially the same thing, though one went into more detail than the other.

?????
I ran into the same thing. A supervisor gave in after it became clear I wasn't going to relent. If you go to the Economy Plus section of united.com, they list the requirements to the a seat there. One of the choices is *A Gold or Silver. It states that E+ is available first-come, first-served. Nothing is mentioned about anyone having to wait until check-in.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by LPCJr
I ran into the same thing. A supervisor gave in after it became clear I wasn't going to relent. If you go to the Economy Plus section of united.com, they list the requirements to the a seat there. One of the choices is *A Gold or Silver. It states that E+ is available first-come, first-served. Nothing is mentioned about anyone having to wait until check-in.
But if you read the fine, fine print (I don't remember where it was, but it was only after searching for a while), you'll find that E+ is available for elites on "most" UA flights. I found this when flying DEN-HNL, a very high demand route. If I booked full-fare on-line, it showed me dozens of seats to choose from. When I called and tried to get a seat, or tried to book cheaper tickets on-line, E+ was magically full. Someone else recently posted the same situation going to NRT, another very high demand flight. I don't think it's *A specific - a 1K friend saw the same thing.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
But if you read the fine, fine print (I don't remember where it was, but it was only after searching for a while), you'll find that E+ is available for elites on "most" UA flights. I found this when flying DEN-HNL, a very high demand route. If I booked full-fare on-line, it showed me dozens of seats to choose from. When I called and tried to get a seat, or tried to book cheaper tickets on-line, E+ was magically full. Someone else recently posted the same situation going to NRT, another very high demand flight. I don't think it's *A specific - a 1K friend saw the same thing.
That could be because it didn't recognize your CP # (though that doesn't explain your 1K friend's experience). However, I believe that the "most" comment on the UA website originiated from when the 762's that were flying transcons did not have E+. They have been eliminated from the fleet. Also, if you go way back, some of the int'l 777's didnt have it either.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jhpark

?????

Stupid Stupid, a *A elite is a *A elite whether they earned status on JK or UA or NH no matter which airline they are flying on; all elites should be treated equally if they want the alliance to truely appeal to passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.