Flying on the last day of the old USAirways

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:10 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Flying on the last day of the old USAirways

It appears I have a short trip to take on 9/30, the last day of the "Old" USAirways. On one hand, I feel I may shed a tear. Maybe I should pilfer any items with the old logo on them as mementos. So Long USAirways. We hardly knew ye.....
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:31 am

Programs: Free Agent
A plastic fork? Plastic cups?
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Originally Posted by PHL
It appears I have a short trip to take on 9/30, the last day of the "Old" USAirways. On one hand, I feel I may shed a tear. Maybe I should pilfer any items with the old logo on them as mementos. So Long USAirways. We hardly knew ye.....

the logo isn't changing.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
You could always buy a bag of fresh green limes and pass them out as you board each flight. And then in my case I would say a little prayer of thanks that most of the brain trust that destroyed the place will not be making the move to Tempe. (lime boy included)
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:44 am

Programs: US1
Pen marks on the backs of seats, torn seats, broken tray tables, dirty cabins. Pretsels.

The Logo??? I guess you have not been reading too much of the US Airways news. That is not changing. Just the livery is and that will take a long time to change all the aircraft. Maybe we will get a new theme? "US Airways a new begining"

Originally Posted by PHL
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:14 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Me thinks that in a few years time, when the integration is fully done, the logo/color scheme may change. Just my personal opinion.

And yes, I did realize that the 'flag' logo would remain.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: US1
If they happen to make lots of money in the future then it may happen. If not then forget it. It will take alot of money to change everything and that is something that they are not going to do.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL

I don't mean to digress from your original intentions, but Oct 1 isn't necessarily "Day 1." If the BK court takes only one day to approve the merger, then Sept 26th could actually be "Day 1." 2 days= Sept 27, 3 days= Sept 28, etc etc.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:33 pm

I have flights on Sept. 18, Sept. 26 and Oct 6. This is my third merger involving US Airways. The first was when Mohawk, my main carrier at the time, merged into Allegheny. Then Piedmont, another main carrier merged with US Air.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
You could always buy a bag of fresh green limes and pass them out as you board each flight. And then in my case I would say a little prayer of thanks that most of the brain trust that destroyed the place will not be making the move to Tempe. (lime boy included)
I dont' know what i dislike more, Phoenix or Tempe (I didn't realize how close their HQ was to Arizona State/Tempe Downtown, until I saw 3 college age students vomit in front of their building on a Saturday night :rolleyes)
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mateo4321
I dont' know what i dislike more, Phoenix or Tempe (I didn't realize how close their HQ was to Arizona State/Tempe Downtown, until I saw 3 college age students vomit in front of their building on a Saturday night :rolleyes)
Sorry, the eight shots of tequila was just too much

I love Phoenix/Tempe--great town, great place to visit ^
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:36 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Talking Love Tempe!

Originally Posted by goheelswks
Sorry, the eight shots of tequila was just too much
I love Phoenix/Tempe--great town, great place to visit ^
That tequila is some powerful stuff. It's amazing that I was able to get through the MBA program in two years.

Tempe is a happening place for sure. Ever hear of the song "Drinking Beer in Bank of America With Two Tempe, AZ Chicks" by Grandaddy?

I'm just the opposite of the OP. I grew up in the east and shudder every time I have to go back there. We split our time between Amsterdam and the Phoenix area. Best of both worlds: sailing and green, with mountain biking and the beautiful desert.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BF263533
I have flights on Sept. 18, Sept. 26 and Oct 6. This is my third merger involving US Airways. The first was when Mohawk, my main carrier at the time, merged into Allegheny. Then Piedmont, another main carrier merged with US Air.
I too have been thru this before when the Slowhawk and also when Piedmont disappeared. This time I will be flying on the 26th, 28th, and 30th so there is a substantial chance I will be there the last day.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
I too have been thru this before when the Slowhawk and also when Piedmont disappeared. This time I will be flying on the 26th, 28th, and 30th so there is a substantial chance I will be there the last day.

"Slowhawk." I never heard that one. I liked Mohawk. BAC 111s and FH 227s. 10 minute connecting times and rarely missed a connection. The only major delay I had on them was when someone phoned in a bomb threat, and they had to completely empty the plane and inspect all the baggage on the FH227.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BF263533
"Slowhawk." I never heard that one. I liked Mohawk....
So did I like Mohawk, mostly because of the frequent service and reasonable fares to upstate (some of which also disappeared when they were absorbed into Allegheny). Do you remember the FAs in the lime-green outfits?
The reason that we called it the "Slowhawk" was that our flight from NY to Rochester was a real milk run, generally making a couple of stops along the way in places like Albany and Binghamton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.