FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   Philadelphia back to banking hub starting in November (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/469365-philadelphia-back-banking-hub-starting-november.html)

US AIRWAYS FAN Sep 4, 2005 12:00 pm

Philadelphia back to banking hub starting in November

I read this on http://www.usaviation.com/forums/ind...howtopic=21531

I think I am going to be sick. However, I did talk to a pilot not too long ago and he told me not too long after US had gone to a rolling hub. Many of the other airlines filled in the gaps and started clogging up the airspace again. I have not flown very much since I have been back from BCN.

Can anyone tell me how the afternoons have been in PHL this summer? Very disappointing to hear if US is going back to the banking format as to the rolling.

T

sts603 Sep 4, 2005 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
I read this on http://www.usaviation.com/forums/ind...howtopic=21531

I think I am going to be sick. However, I did talk to a pilot not too long ago and he told me not too long after US had gone to a rolling hub. Many of the other airlines filled in the gaps and started clogging up the airspace again. I have not flown very much since I have been back from BCN.

Can anyone tell me how the afternoons have been in PHL this summer? Very disappointing to hear if US is going back to the banking format as to the rolling.

T

I really would like to know the reason for this.

I think I am too going to be sick.

Especially for O/D pax. the rolling system is awesome. Yes, longer connections for some but I think 99 out of 100 people would choose to sit in the terminal rather than on the runway in 20B being #37 for take-off.

GWU ESIA STUDENT Sep 4, 2005 3:49 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO :td:

DCWolverine Sep 6, 2005 7:23 am

bad decision!!! I almost had a heart attack when my PHL-DTW pushed back 5 minutes EARLY from B10 on a FRIDAY night, 9/2!! We zipped to the runway and were #2 for takeoff. I've had only 1 bad experience at PHL this summer, and that was due to major weather. Things have seemed amazingly better since they went rolling

SpaceBass Sep 6, 2005 7:36 am

Can someone help explain the difference b/t rolling and banking? I read the post at usavaition.com and am still not sure I understand it.

trvlr64 Sep 6, 2005 8:19 am

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Can someone help explain the difference b/t rolling and banking? I read the post at usavaition.com and am still not sure I understand it.

ROLLING = flights spaced out to avoid traffic congestion. Creates a longer connection time for most passengers, but you won't miss your flight. Also helps the airline to turn flights around faster creating more productivity amongst the employees.

BANKING = large groups of flights leave at 7am, 9am,........6pm, 8pm, etc. This creates wasted time between flight banks, creates traffic jams, can cause you to miss you flights or to have to do the OJ Simpson dash through the airport....

basically a very stupid idea on CCY's part before they leave. The poster on USAVIATION.COM that created that thread is a personal friend and he's pissed that they are going back to banking in PHL. He works in the operations facility in PIT and hates when PHL screws everything up because of traffic issues.

SS255 Sep 6, 2005 9:53 am

The only good thing about when outgoing management makes a dumba** move is that incoming management can reverse it. Let's hope Tempe has already gotten wind of the PHL folly & plans to turn it around.

JAXPax Sep 6, 2005 9:56 am

Has this been verified in the new schedules?

trvlr64 Sep 6, 2005 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by JAXPax
Has this been verified in the new schedules?

To quote my friend MarkMyWords......At first it was just a rumor that the November Schedule would take PHL from a rolling hub to a banking hub. Now I have seen information in print and confirmed it through 3 reliable sources.

He and I were talking about this a few days before he actually posted it on USAVIATION.COM. He had to do some investigating. Read his posting via the link in the original post. Lord help us.

flyphl Sep 6, 2005 3:20 pm

Hard to believe that any significant operational decisions are being made at this point without substantial input from the HP folks. I would imagine that the merger agreement even provides for cooperation and consultation on such things, although I haven't checked. Having said that, isn't the VP of Operations for the new US going to be from the old US (one of the only senior people in the combined entity from the old US)?

TomBascom Sep 6, 2005 3:57 pm

Amazing.

Rolling PHL may have been the only successful thing the clowns in operations managed to do all year. And now they plan to undo it?

sts603 Sep 6, 2005 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by TomBascom
Amazing.

Rolling PHL may have been the only successful thing the clowns in operations managed to do all year. And now they plan to undo it?

meaning they did something successful in 2004? :)

I'm literally baffeled. Any large hub (and 500 flights a day qualifies it for a large hub) with over 50% O&D traffic should be rolled, esp. with the runway congestion that a PHL has. Places like MEM, MSP, STL and so on can be banked - they play entirely different roles than a PHL plays.

EnvoyBoy Sep 7, 2005 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyphl
Hard to believe that any significant operational decisions are being made at this point without substantial input from the HP folks. I would imagine that the merger agreement even provides for cooperation and consultation on such things, although I haven't checked. Having said that, isn't the VP of Operations for the new US going to be from the old US (one of the only senior people in the combined entity from the old US)?

Spoke to an FA today who mentioned the return to banks and if I knew. I, of course, said yes and credited FT. That said, he reports that HP in AZ made the decision because it's the operational model that they use.

jimcfsus Sep 7, 2005 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Spoke to an FA today who mentioned the return to banks and if I knew. I, of course, said yes and credited FT. That said, he reports that HP in AZ made the decision because it's the operational model that they use.

Shall we start a pool for the date that Tempe wakes up and announces PHL goes back to a rolling hub? I'll start and say January 1, well, that's a holiday, so let's go with January 2. Why? How about another holiday meltdown in the making? :td:

sts603 Sep 7, 2005 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy

That's one of the worst business arguments I think I've ever heard.....does HP management remember that US is an entirely different type of airline with entirely different types of airports?